News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

As far as economics go I just hope it totally doesn't mask other bad things going on. The economy wasn't exactly in rude health.
I can just see it now. Trumpys and brexiters proudly blaming corona for all that is wrong.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

There will be much dhal in the Hakluyt household; ringing the changes with potatoes, chickpeas, kidney beans etc etc. The well-stocked spice cupboard will help to alleviate food boredom  :cool:

Syt

Speaking of economy, it was amusing to see some German "the markets must be free because a truly free market solves all problems" proponents calling to the government to help businesses in this dire hour of need. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

Closing schools but not restaurants seems very odd to me.

Zoupa

Wait, the UK still has football games going, with full stadiums?

Syt

Quote from: Zoupa on March 13, 2020, 03:16:19 AM
Wait, the UK still has football games going, with full stadiums?

Leicester v Aston Villa, last Monday.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

A friend of mine who knew about the first two confirmed cases in Hungary 24 hours before they got officially announced, claims Budapest is going into lockdown/quarantine tomorrow.  :ph34r:

I am trying to have my parents confirm it via contacts somehow, because my sister, her husband, and their 1.5 years old daughter live there, and I'd much rather have them living in a small rural town with my parents than a quarantined virus-hive of 2 million people.

Syt

Number of cases in Austria, per state. Numbers are on each day 3 pm, except today which is 8 am.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

bogh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 13, 2020, 03:06:38 AM
Closing schools but not restaurants seems very odd to me.

Not sure what criteria was applied for the different markers, but nightclubs and bars have been closed down. Lots of restaurants have shut down on their own initiative (reservations have plummeted anyway).

bogh

Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2020, 03:39:00 AM
A friend of mine who knew about the first two confirmed cases in Hungary 24 hours before they got officially announced, claims Budapest is going into lockdown/quarantine tomorrow.  :ph34r:

I am trying to have my parents confirm it via contacts somehow, because my sister, her husband, and their 1.5 years old daughter live there, and I'd much rather have them living in a small rural town with my parents than a quarantined virus-hive of 2 million people.

The word from the authorities here is to isolate the elderly and frail. They specifically told us not to have grandparents babysit once schools closed, since children and working age adults are low risk themselves, but risk spreading it to at risk individuals (my kids have constant runny noses and horrible hand hygiene).

My mother was on the phone right after they announced the lockdown and offered to look after the kids. I told her no and conspired with my sister to keep her away from the kids until this blows over.

Tamas

Quote from: bogh on March 13, 2020, 04:08:14 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2020, 03:39:00 AM

The word from the authorities here is to isolate the elderly and frail. They specifically told us not to have grandparents babysit once schools closed, since children and working age adults are low risk themselves, but risk spreading it to at risk individuals (my kids have constant runny noses and horrible hand hygiene).

My mother was on the phone right after they announced the lockdown and offered to look after the kids. I told her no and conspired with my sister to keep her away from the kids until this blows over.

Yeah its a risk I guess but also having my parents be effectively locked off from help from their children, with me in England and my sister in a locked-down city.

BTW the British government encourages the elderly to NOT isolate.

celedhring

A bunch of small towns near Barcelona have been put on lockdown after an outbreak was discovered there on Wednesday evening.

Madrid reporting +50% more infected than yesterday, but I'm not sure if they are already using the new counting criteria (if you have mild symptoms of unknown origin you're counted as infected without a test).

Tamas

I am set to become the only people I know who isn't asked to work from home. FFS.