Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2020, 01:29:38 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2020, 01:27:58 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2020, 01:15:35 PM
Quote from: PRC on March 12, 2020, 01:12:22 PM
Jaír Bolsonaro has tested positive for the virus.

Same as his spokesperson, both were in Mar-a-Lago with Trump and Pence last weekend.

I know I'm a terrible person, but what a turn of events if we get a President Pelosi out of this.

Also quite old. Who's the most likely to survive the coronavirus cull in the line of succession?

Pompeo. :ph34r:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

alfred russel

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2020, 01:29:38 PM
Also quite old. Who's the most likely to survive the coronavirus cull in the line of succession?

She wasn't meeting with a guy that just tested positive. Also, even most elderly people survive, so the odds of us coming up with a trifecta (Pence, Pelosi, Trump) are low.

I think a deceased VP needs to be confirmed by the House and Senate. Practically, no one will be confirmed this close to an election with one controlled by the Ds and the other the Rs.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

HisMajestyBOB

"I must level with you and the British public. Many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time. ... Even if things seem tough now, remember that this country will get through this epidemic.. if we look out for each other and commit wholeheartedly to a national effort."

:bowler:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2020, 01:23:42 PM
Are we sure Trump isn't the CPAC attendee with it?

Trump's response to Boisonaro aide is...well...Trumpian

"Let's put it this way: I'm not concerned," Trump told reporters when asked if he was concerned about possibly being exposed to the coronavirus.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2020, 01:27:58 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2020, 01:15:35 PM

Same as his spokesperson, both were in Mar-a-Lago with Trump and Pence last weekend.

I know I'm a terrible person, but what a turn of events if we get a President Pelosi out of this.

As I said a couple days ago, or a hundred pages ago, "there's a silver lining in every cloud."
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2020, 01:08:09 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 12, 2020, 01:05:46 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2020, 11:15:32 AM
You are missing the distinction between our Provincial Health Officials making the call rather than politicians - and especially federal politicians.
Provincial health officials are there to advise the government.  The government then take their suggestions and implement them, or any government could go any further than that if it pleases them.

That is unfortunate.

I prefer our system where the health care professionals make the health care decisions.

This is Quebec, our politicians are Doctors.  :lol:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2020, 01:35:32 PM
I think a deceased VP needs to be confirmed by the House and Senate. Practically, no one will be confirmed this close to an election with one controlled by the Ds and the other the Rs.

Yes, but only by majority vote.  The argument (whether or not you agree with it) for delaying the Garland appointment was that as a USSC Justice he would be sitting for many years after the election.  A replacement VP however would only sit until the election.  It would look like craven self-interest for Pelosi to refuse to vote for a new Veep just because she's next in the succession line.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 12, 2020, 01:36:01 PM
"I must level with you and the British public. Many more families are going to lose loved ones before their time. ... Even if things seem tough now, remember that this country will get through this epidemic.. if we look out for each other and commit wholeheartedly to a national effort."

To the effort of not changing anything. Tough ask.

Fate

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2020, 01:43:09 PM

Yes, but only by majority vote.  The argument (whether or not you agree with it) for delaying the Garland appointment was that as a USSC Justice he would be sitting for many years after the election.  A replacement VP however would only sit until the election.  It would look like craven self-interest for Pelosi to refuse to vote for a new Veep just because she's next in the succession line.

The country would be on her side. Republicans are going to get massacred this November. Economy going into the shitter and the virus is going to kill off a lot of boomers.

Richard Hakluyt

It will be interesting to see what happens. At an emotional level I like what our government is doing; would maybe advise people to avoid pubs and restaurants if I was in charge. On a more objective level it would seem that Johnson is listening to the scientists; which is good.

Richard Hakluyt

Speaking of experts the Guardian has an article by a chemist on why washing your hands with soap is so effective :

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/12/science-soap-kills-coronavirus-alcohol-based-disinfectants

Barrister

Very frustrating.

We're being told to avoid large groups of people.  I was told the university is going online-only right away. 

Well I just came back from court and there was a whole bunch of people there.  There always is.  But how the hell do you shut down a criminal courthouse for a month or two?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Legbiter

Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2020, 01:44:49 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 12, 2020, 01:36:01 PM

To the effort of not changing anything. Tough ask.

That is the explicitly stated plan here as well. Get through this, acquire herd immunity, but not so fast that it crashes the health services. It's almost Nietzschean.  :P
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 12, 2020, 01:53:50 PM
Speaking of experts the Guardian has an article by a chemist on why washing your hands with soap is so effective :

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/12/science-soap-kills-coronavirus-alcohol-based-disinfectants

Páll Þórðarson is a local boy done good.  :)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2020, 01:43:09 PM

I don't think so. You can delay to have hearings. The hearings drag things out - you need to be sure when approving someone who could be president/commander in chief/appointer of supreme court justices. Then you express discomfort with extreme views on certain topics, and possibly a few personal aspects, have an investigation which delays the vote...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014