News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2020, 12:12:29 PM
Chief Scientific Advisor says contain stage has delayed things and the trajectory looks like we're four weeks behind Italy - I'm not sure. I've seen just under two weeks as the estimate elsewhere. He thinks the actual number of cases in the UK is 5-10,000 not the reported 590. Currently there are 20 patients in intensive care with coronavirus.

Well, if that were true CC wins the thread and we should call the panic off. That woud be a lower mortality than the seasonal flu.

celedhring

Spanish stock exchange falls 14%, has lost 40% since mid-February.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on March 12, 2020, 11:00:03 AM
Case numbers exploding across Europe. Considering that noticed cases is much lower than real cases, we have to assume 10x or more as real numbers.
It is time for social isolation. Don't wait for your government.
I think this is really key - I think in the UK private companies I know have been taking measures ahead of the advice. So have some of my friends. And I think that is an important thing - I wouldn't visit elderly relatives at this point - I think there's a bit of social responsibility needed here (and shame for people who break it).

But I don't understand why, with two teams in self-isolation the Premier League they're still not acting until the government tells them to stop. It seems crazily negligent and you feel like they'd be moving like a fucking whippet if it was an opportunity to increase broadcast revenue rather than, say, a public health crisis.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2020, 12:22:00 PM
Quote from: Zanza on March 12, 2020, 11:00:03 AM
Case numbers exploding across Europe. Considering that noticed cases is much lower than real cases, we have to assume 10x or more as real numbers.
It is time for social isolation. Don't wait for your government.
I think this is really key - I think in the UK private companies I know have been taking measures ahead of the advice. So have some of my friends. And I think that is an important thing - I wouldn't visit elderly relatives at this point - I think there's a bit of social responsibility needed here (and shame for people who break it).

But I don't understand why, with two teams in self-isolation the Premier League they're still not acting until the government tells them to stop. It seems crazily negligent and you feel like they'd be moving like a fucking whippet if it was an opportunity to increase broadcast revenue rather than, say, a public health crisis.

I visited my mother today because she broke her rib two weeks ago and needs some help. But damn I'm terrified of passing this shit onto her or my diabetic dad (I have no symptoms).

I helped her stuff her fridge with enough food for a couple weeks, so they don't have to leave the house.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2020, 12:21:32 PM

What its doing to our stockmarket is absolutely devastating. The geniuses on Capitol Hill want to cut the payroll tax in order to stop the bleeding which seems like it will do precious little to help the many who are currently losing their jobs.

The poor lose their jobs, and white collar workers like me get a benefit. That is peak American right there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on March 12, 2020, 12:21:32 PM

Vienna stock exchange also dropped over 13% today. Confirmed cases have jumped from 300 to 360 this afternoon.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

More on testing within the USA:

QuoteCoronavirus: US admits 'failing' on testing, says Fauci12

A top health official in the US says that the testing system for coronavirus is currently failing.

"The system is not really geared to what we need right now... let's admit it," said Dr Anthony Fauci from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

The government has come under fire as the US has conducted far fewer tests than many other affected countries.

There are currently more than 1,100 confirmed cases of the virus in the US.

Meanwhile, President Donald Trump said that the US had "a tremendous testing set up where people coming in have to be tested". However, he did not give further details, and there has not been routine testing for the virus in the US.

Trump will likely sideline or sack him?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2020, 12:12:29 PM
So turns out the 500+ event ban is just Scotland. The rest of the UK is considering it - but because of the burden it places on public services like police and health rather than to stop spread.

If you're showing symptoms you should stay at home.

Some fairly grim messages from PM: "This is the worst public health crisis in a generation. [...] Many more families are going to lose loved ones [than in flue]." And: "Most important task is protecting elderly and vulnerable during 'peak weaks'. That is some weeks away."

"We are now getting onto the next phase in that plan because this is now not just an attempt to contain the disease as far as possible but to delay the spread and thereby minimise the suffering."

From the Guardian: "He said even if the peak of the disease is delayed by a "few weeks" the NHS will be in a stronger position to handle it because of the improving weather, more beds will be available and there will be greater time for medical research. "

Chief Scientific Advisor says contain stage has delayed things and the trajectory looks like we're four weeks behind Italy - I'm not sure. I've seen just under two weeks as the estimate elsewhere. He thinks the actual number of cases in the UK is 5-10,000 not the reported 590. Currently there are 20 patients in intensive care with coronavirus.

When this wave of infection ends, it will be interesting to see whether Italy is the outlier - or South Korea and Canada are the outliers.

Valmy

I mean I guess I shouldn't be surprised if he is fired.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2020, 12:28:18 PM
I mean I guess I shouldn't be surprised if he is fired.
Especially since he seems to be one of the relatively competent people in this in the administration

Sheilbh

I have very mixed view on Fauci. I'm sure he's very good at his job but he doesn't come across terrifically well on the literature on HIV/AIDS even though he made important discoveries and, once people decided to care, was important.
Let's bomb Russia!

fromtia

UNF , where partner of fromtia studies Graphic Design has extended next weeks Spring Break by an additional two weeks. I did bring up to my employer about ten days ago that this might be a very disruptive episode for our business - a huge fancy white tablecloth restaurant - but they thought at the time that I was being facebook hysterical ( I used my calmest voice and lots of British understatement , to no avail).

I tend to watch the British press briefings as they contain more factual content. Languish is pretty good as well of course. I am paying close attention to crazy canucks position, and certainly not ruling it out, but I still think that really robust aggressive action by governments and a lot of caution by individuals is the proper course of action. Watching and waiting and anticipating an extended spell of unpaid time off work.  :(
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Well, that escalated quickly...
Yesterday morning was 8 cases in Quebec.
Today, 13.
About 100 are under investigations.
Interior gathering of more than 250 people are forbidden.  No more Habs games, I guess.
14 days quarantine for people coming back from abroad.

The other part is sketchy... I'm not sure I'm reading this right, I would assume that it's only for people who have symptoms, but it says public healthcare and education workers should also be under isolation for 14 days.

I'm sure they forgot some part, because the way it's writtent, it's as if everyone would go on isolation.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2020, 12:46:01 PM
NHL suspends season.
:mad:
NBA cancelling was fine, but this...Oh well.  Some Habs fan will be happy.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.