News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

So when can we expect the government announcement on new measures, if any?

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2020, 07:23:06 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2020, 07:02:11 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 11:53:41 PM
This period of history is going to be a very a very good case study of social media driven mass hysteria
Are you 100% as confident as you sound, or is this your best guess given what we know so far?

In any case, the problem with evaluating the validity of hysteria about pandemics is that there are no control group alternate realities to test on.  It may well be that pandemics are extinguished because hysteria occurred early enough in the process for people to collectively take actions, and nudge the diseases parameters outside of the envelope needed for disastrous and uncontained spread.

The head of the BC CDC said again tried to calm by pointing out our medical system is reacting well, is not being overwhelmed and that it is not inevitable that it will be.

Rather than listening to over reactions by politicians and most of social media I prefer to listen to the experts.  I know that is really out of fashion these days and I am very much out of step for paying attention to that sort of thing.
You didn't actually answer my question.  Are you 100% as confident as you sound, or is this your best guess given what we know so far?

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2020, 07:37:48 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2020, 07:23:06 AM
Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2020, 07:02:11 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 11:53:41 PM
This period of history is going to be a very a very good case study of social media driven mass hysteria
Are you 100% as confident as you sound, or is this your best guess given what we know so far?

In any case, the problem with evaluating the validity of hysteria about pandemics is that there are no control group alternate realities to test on.  It may well be that pandemics are extinguished because hysteria occurred early enough in the process for people to collectively take actions, and nudge the diseases parameters outside of the envelope needed for disastrous and uncontained spread.

The head of the BC CDC said again tried to calm by pointing out our medical system is reacting well, is not being overwhelmed and that it is not inevitable that it will be.

Rather than listening to over reactions by politicians and most of social media I prefer to listen to the experts.  I know that is really out of fashion these days and I am very much out of step for paying attention to that sort of thing.
You didn't actually answer my question.  Are you 100% as confident as you sound, or is this your best guess given what we know so far?

Ok use a shorter sentence for you

I am listening to the BC CDC

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2020, 07:42:14 AM

Did the BC CDC say that "This period of history is going to be a very a very good case study of social media driven mass hysteria"? 

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2020, 07:35:37 AM
This afternoon is COBRA and case updates.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 12, 2020, 07:46:15 AM

Did the BC CDC say that "This period of history is going to be a very a very good case study of social media driven mass hysteria"?

The BC CDC says the risk of transmission here is low.  The head of the CDC was asked a number of questions about why BC was not closing everything like others around the world including the ban Trump had just announced.  She was much more diplomatic than I was but her answer was to the same effect.  I have posted her comments above along with links to academic literature.

HisMajestyBOB

Are you saying that all of the countries with restrictions on travel and large gatherings are overreacting?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Sheilbh

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 12, 2020, 08:09:30 AM
Are you saying that all of the countries with restrictions on travel and large gatherings are overreacting?
The UK government's line is that some actions are being taken that don't follow the science/scientific advice - this was Rishi Sunak's line this morning when asked about Trump's travel ban at least. I'm not sure that'd be how they'd characterise all actions - like I think the large gatherings and schools, there are different approaches you can take.

As mentioned above on the travel ban, that seems like a fair criticism.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2020, 07:59:39 AM

The BC CDC says the risk of transmission here is low.  The head of the CDC was asked a number of questions about why BC was not closing everything like others around the world including the ban Trump had just announced.  She was much more diplomatic than I was but her answer was to the same effect.  I have posted her comments above along with links to academic literature.

You, we, should not expect the Americans to be as calmed. Their country is insane.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HisMajestyBOB

I don't think anyone is claiming Trump's actions are based on sound medical advice.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 12, 2020, 08:19:44 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 12, 2020, 07:59:39 AM

You, we, should not expect the Americans to be as calmed. Their country is insane.

Their President at least.

crazy canuck

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 12, 2020, 08:30:33 AM
I don't think anyone is claiming Trump's actions are based on sound medical advice.

Sadly he is not the only one

Sheilbh

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2020, 07:48:34 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2020, 07:35:37 AM
This afternoon is COBRA and case updates.
And it looks like expectation is that they'll start implementing "delay" measures. Should find out in about an hour or so.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

My company hasn't closed down yet but a message went out to say no travel allowed, cancel all training, no in person meetings if you can help it, etc...

I should be delighted. Specific instructions to avoid large public gatherings? Woohoo. If only life was always like that.
But it does disrupt my job.
██████
██████
██████