News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I just saw the speech Trump gave.  I think it was the best speech of his career.  His tune has completely changed and I think he'll start addressing this seriously.  He also didn't look or sound well.  I don't know if he's getting sick or someone finally got through to him that this is serious, but something was up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

fromtia

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2020, 11:47:05 PM
I just saw the speech Trump gave.  I think it was the best speech of his career.  His tune has completely changed and I think he'll start addressing this seriously.  He also didn't look or sound well.  I don't know if he's getting sick or someone finally got through to him that this is serious, but something was up.

Bar is very very low for the Cheeto Caesar. He did sound like someone in an elected office for the first time though. I mean, an idiot that got elected, but its like he knows hes supposed to be doing something other than bailing out his pals, pwning the libs and handing out tax cuts.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

Maladict

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 03:40:07 PM
Quote from: Maladict on March 11, 2020, 03:34:11 PM
Home with the flu, looks like the regular one. Looking into wedding insurance, unsurprisingly all insurance companies have quickly changed their terms to exclude Covid. I'm fucked.

The changes don't effect the policy you already have.

I don't already have it, that's the problem.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on March 11, 2020, 05:14:47 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 02:06:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 11, 2020, 01:03:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 12:56:37 PM

Death panels - what?

Italian physicians are having to make judgment calls on who gets the limited beds available. That is, effectively, determining who get medical services in order to get better.

I hasten to add that our health care system in BC is not overburdened atm (well any more than usual) and we are essentially at ground zero in Canada for this virus.  I think a lot of praise goes to the health care professionals who are dealing with this.

Yeah. Two weeks in and Canada is fine. Let's see where you are 6-8 weeks in.

We are about six weeks in - probably much longer if one counts all the untested cases who are likely out there.

Our first confirmed case was January 27th. He had come back from Wuhan.  He was pronounced virus free on Feb. 19.

One thing you might not know is we have a large population who travel to and from China on a regular basis who work, study and live here.  Our exposure to the virus occurred very early on - which is why our low mortality rate along with South Korea is so striking.

:huh:

Of course I know about the high travel density between Vancouver and China. But that's not explaining the incredibly high speed in which the disease is moving across the rest of Canada right now.

Look, you're looking at the data that best fits your view on this, so no amount of information provided is going to change your mind. I'm saying that when you look at the big picture - and the whole of the world outside your bubble - it's not a rosy picture. The WHO, et al, have said exactly that. There is a very real risk that this virus is going to have long-term and lasting effects on us worldwide.

If you're okay pretending/believing that it's "just another flu", good on you. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. If you're wrong, and because of that you've taken unnecessary risks with your health because it's "just another flu", I'm going to be very sad to hear it. Beyond that, I'm going to disengage now. Good luck to you.

Hugh speed spread?

The BC CDC still has the risk of transmission as low.

This period of history is going to be a very a very good case study of social media driven mass hysteria

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on March 11, 2020, 08:40:22 PM
Trump has just announced the suspension of all flights between the US and Europe (except the UK) for 30 days starting this friday.
Travel bans are his favourite policy, but this time it actually makes sense. Not the exclusion of ghe UK of course, but I guess thats just his bias. Considering the widespread community transmission and lack of testing in the US, it also helps us not to get the virus from the US anymore. Europe should also ban such travel from other places until we have the virus outbreak here under control.

Maladict

Quote from: Zanza on March 12, 2020, 12:32:17 AM
Quote from: The Larch on March 11, 2020, 08:40:22 PM
Trump has just announced the suspension of all flights between the US and Europe (except the UK) for 30 days starting this friday.
Travel bans are his favourite policy, but this time it actually makes sense. Not the exclusion of ghe UK of course, but I guess thats just his bias. Considering the widespread community transmission and lack of testing in the US, it also helps us not to get the virus from the US anymore. Europe should also ban such travel from other places until we have the virus outbreak here under control.

Americans are exempted, they can still travel freely but have to be tested upon return. Same for Europeans who have direct family in the US.

Syt

Haven't listened to the Trumpster's speech yet, but news sites here report that he's blaming Europeans for spreading the disease in the US, because the contact with China wasn't cut soon enough.

Also, is there any fact based reason not to include the UK in the travel ban (since it's for the Schengen area)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Because at the end of the day, Trump iis nothing if not ridiculous.   :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Just watched it.  It was a well written speech for the most part.  The part where he slagged on the Yuros sounded more Trumpian, as did the parts when he talked about our ossum response.

I would have dropped the orange a few notches and hammered down the sides of the pelt if I were handling makeup.

He kind of gave me the impression of drunk guy trying to pass a sobriety test. 

There were a few times when he sounded a little raspy throated.  :ph34r:

I don't agree he sounded presidential, but at least he was smart not to wing it, or to write his own copy.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Can only guess the UK isn't included as that would be more legal work?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on March 12, 2020, 03:43:10 AM
Can only guess the UK isn't included as that would be more legal work?

It looks like they only declared ban on Schengen
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

As of midnight last night, our employees in New York and London were advised to start working from home. I guess this will be my last day in the office for a while.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 12, 2020, 12:02:30 AM
Who's hysterical?

Politicians

The best characterization the NYTimes could put on Merkel's recent pronouncement
QuoteMs. Merkel's estimates were probably a worst-case scenario, though not wildly out of line with those of experts outside Germany.

Things would be a lot less hysterical if politicians let the experts speak in times like these