News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Last weekend I had what I thought was gastroenteritis... it came on suddenly Sunday afternoon, where I had severe stomach pain and then began running a fever and had aches/chills.  I ended up sleeping most of Sunday afternoon/evening into Monday morning.  Monday morning when I woke up the fever and aches were gone, but stomach pain persisted for a few days.  Oh, also, I was shitting water. :)

DID I HAVE LOL: CORONAVIRUS
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Maximus

Quote from: Camerus on March 11, 2020, 03:56:47 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2020, 03:29:30 PM
On the bright side, nobody is getting the squirts.  :)

Imagine the run on TP were that the case.   :hmm:
Please don't

The Larch

I just did some shopping after spending the last week away, and the only thing that was almost finished was the toilet paper. It's plain bizarre how it seems to be running out everywhere, and there are relatively few cases over here ("just" 39).

Next week I had a work trip to Azores planned, and it was cancelled just today, as apparently quite restrictive measures will be put up soon over there, even if they haven't had any cases yet.

Liep

Why is it that after being told not to gather in large crowds and to not hoard people storm to the nearest supermarkets and hoard yeast and toilet paper in queues with hundreds of people.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Legbiter

Quote from: Liep on March 11, 2020, 04:56:32 PM
Why is it that after being told not to gather in large crowds and to not hoard people storm to the nearest supermarkets and hoard yeast and toilet paper in queues with hundreds of people.

;)

At least Denmark is shutting down all schools and gatherings to contain the spread I see.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Zanza

Italy escalated further and shut down most retail and services business as well as non-production parts of industries. That's a massive disruption, similar to what China did.

I guess we will all see stuff like that soon...

Sheilbh

I see loads of PSG fans gathered outside the stadium for their team's game tonight :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 02:06:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 11, 2020, 01:03:36 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 12:56:37 PM

Death panels - what?

Italian physicians are having to make judgment calls on who gets the limited beds available. That is, effectively, determining who get medical services in order to get better.

I hasten to add that our health care system in BC is not overburdened atm (well any more than usual) and we are essentially at ground zero in Canada for this virus.  I think a lot of praise goes to the health care professionals who are dealing with this.

Yeah. Two weeks in and Canada is fine. Let's see where you are 6-8 weeks in.

We are about six weeks in - probably much longer if one counts all the untested cases who are likely out there.

Our first confirmed case was January 27th. He had come back from Wuhan.  He was pronounced virus free on Feb. 19.

One thing you might not know is we have a large population who travel to and from China on a regular basis who work, study and live here.  Our exposure to the virus occurred very early on - which is why our low mortality rate along with South Korea is so striking.

:huh:

Of course I know about the high travel density between Vancouver and China. But that's not explaining the incredibly high speed in which the disease is moving across the rest of Canada right now.

Look, you're looking at the data that best fits your view on this, so no amount of information provided is going to change your mind. I'm saying that when you look at the big picture - and the whole of the world outside your bubble - it's not a rosy picture. The WHO, et al, have said exactly that. There is a very real risk that this virus is going to have long-term and lasting effects on us worldwide.

If you're okay pretending/believing that it's "just another flu", good on you. I hope you're right and I'm wrong. If you're wrong, and because of that you've taken unnecessary risks with your health because it's "just another flu", I'm going to be very sad to hear it. Beyond that, I'm going to disengage now. Good luck to you.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 02:13:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2020, 01:32:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2020, 08:07:26 AM
Mortality rate could be the same as the mortality rate of the flu https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387?mod=article_inline

Right. It could be. That is the thing. We'll see. I think taking reasonable precautions is appropriate until we know more. I don't think that qualified as panicking but just not being reckless.

I have nothing against taking reasonable precautions.  I think our local health officials have done very well in advising what precautions should be taken.  What I object to is the we are all going to die vibe going on here.

Feel free to point out where anyone in this thread has even intimated that we're all going to die.

We're saying this is serious, it's worth taking precautions, we wish the US would do more (go figure), and please be careful.

If you're reading something else, you're reading something that just isn't there.

Pedrito

IT'S LOCKDOWN TIME!  :yeah:

From tomorrow until March 25, all retail shops will be closed. Hair salons, pubs and restaurants (except for delivery service), markets, and every kind of shop, except drugstores and food stores (...and smoke shops  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:). This, in addition to all the already ongoing measures.

I hope this complete shutdown will have some positive effect in time, because this is a real enormous strain on an already suffering country.  :(

L.

Oh, and by the way, we civilized people use the bidet, so no reason to stockpile TP for us  :P
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

HisMajestyBOB

Well if no one else will, I'll come out and say we're all going to die.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

merithyn

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on March 11, 2020, 05:28:11 PM

As my mother would say....

Yes, dear, you're right. We're all going to die....

...... someday. :D

Sheilbh

A UK health minister who had dinner with Nadine Dorries is in self-isolation. A cabinet minister is also in self-isolation.

Edit: And everyone was pointing out that Dominic Raab looked unwell in the Commons today and was coughing into his hands so maybe him <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

I'm going off Timmy's graph.  Lots of old people are going to die, and not many younger people.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: merithyn on March 11, 2020, 05:29:36 PM

As my mother would say....

Yes, dear, you're right. We're all going to die....

...... someday. :D

:D
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help