And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on March 09, 2020, 05:43:12 PM
Quote from: Maximus on March 09, 2020, 05:21:34 PM
NASA Ames is on mandatory telework after an employee tested positive.

Oh no, we moved things from there 3 years ago when UCSC had researchers there - can I get the disease from that?

There are people spreading false news that it can linger so definitely panic

Legbiter

It's a coronavirus cc, they linger on surfaces. Why is this a hill to die on?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Richard Hakluyt

Yeah, its why I'm so concerned about this outbreak.

Legbiter

I see these self-checkout terminals in supermarkets as the modern plague pit.  :lol: This is how I'll gradually morph into wearing a spacesuit.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Richard Hakluyt

Our local medical practice has a touchscreen booking in facility  :P

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on March 09, 2020, 06:04:49 PM
I see these self-checkout terminals in supermarkets as the modern plague pit.  :lol: This is how I'll gradually morph into wearing a spacesuit.

I always use the outside of a finger joint on these touch screens, that's a bit of me less likely to come into contact with other parts of me till I wash my hands.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

celedhring

I have an itchy nose and I'm always touching it as a result. I'm so getting this shit.

PDH

I work at a university of 20k students from all over the world, including a sizable foreign student population who returned from Winter Break just as this was starting...I figure I have been breeding this for a while inside of me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DGuller

Does picking your nose count as touching your face?  Asking for a friend. :unsure:

mongers

WHO Covid-19 situation reports, some interesting data:

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Interesting that multiple Chinese provinces have not reported new cases in several days, even a week or two, whereas it's rolling through Western Europe now.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: Legbiter on March 09, 2020, 05:25:43 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 09, 2020, 04:27:06 PM
Series A has been suspended :o

I see Israel just announced 2 week quarantine for anyone travelling to the country.

which of course effictively bans anyone wanting to go there.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

2 new cases in Quebec, 1 came back from France, the other from a "Northwest European country".  No indication which one.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

I have a cold. I will try to not enjoy freaking every one out over the next week.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 09, 2020, 09:15:06 PM
I have a cold. I will try to not enjoy freaking every one out over the next week.
I keep coughing due to my asthma.  Imagine the reactions of strangers... :menace:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

frunk

Nice video on exponential growth.  One point he doesn't make is why it is so important to get the growth factor down, in that it gives us time to respond either with better targeted responses to the specific infection model or a vaccine.