News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Oregon is now in a state of emergency. I'm waiting to hear from my company to stay home to work.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Legbiter

Quote from: merithyn on March 08, 2020, 02:14:48 PM
Oregon is now in a state of emergency. I'm waiting to hear from my company to stay home to work.

It'll get real in the US when the sports leagues start playing without crowds. And the November election, mail-in ballots?
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

Public Health England has told people to "plan ahead" in case they need to self-isolate for a couple of weeks. This seems to have been the start signal for the British run on the supermarkets, although we are not at Australian levels yet.

Legbiter

Bog rolls will be a unit of currency in the post-apocalyptic landscape.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2020, 02:24:05 PM
Public Health England has told people to "plan ahead" in case they need to self-isolate for a couple of weeks. This seems to have been the start signal for the British run on the supermarkets, although we are not at Australian levels yet.
This seems to be very regional. Chaos in the South-East, unruffled in the North-West and Wales.

Having self-isolated for about five weeks already I'm fairly well-prepared :P

Also I really like tinned fish and meat so I'm normally inadvertantly well prepped for a short apocalypse :ph34r:

Edit: AND on the loo roll point - who doesn't already buy loo roll in bulk? :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Legbiter on March 08, 2020, 02:27:50 PM

They couldn't add the ordered 16-pack to our click and collect order nor any substitutes because they were out, but by the time we picked up the order they had a new shipment in so I won't have to resort to using leaves for a while :p

But the shelves in that Isle sure looked emptier than usual.

Also what was super weird was seeing the hankerchief shelf half empty. It used to feel like only we buy that stuff.

merithyn

Quote from: Legbiter on March 08, 2020, 02:18:54 PM
Quote from: merithyn on March 08, 2020, 02:14:48 PM

It'll get real in the US when the sports leagues start playing without crowds. And the November election, mail-in ballots?

Oregon already has that,  so we're all set up for it. Not sure what other states will do.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2020, 02:31:58 PM
Also what was super weird was seeing the hankerchief shelf half empty. It used to feel like only we buy that stuff.

A shelf for handkerchiefs? Do mean tissue/kleenex?

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2020, 02:35:37 PM

Sorry, yes, tissues.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2020, 02:35:37 PM

Yes, I assume you're right; for what it's worth I maybe the last person in England using cotton or linen handkerchiefs.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Quote from: Legbiter on March 08, 2020, 01:47:12 PM
Can you work remotely, at least a little bit Iormlund?

Some of my work I can do remotely. Documentation, meetings (via Skype), improvement design (CAD).

The core of my job however is "owning" several machines in a three-shift production facility. That means I have to be there. Ironically that part is the least I worry about. We all have to wear thick gloves (both against cuts and heat). Those are covered in grease from the parts, so you soon learn not to touch your face with them. Plus I don't really have to be that close to anyone. All I need is access to the parts and systems.

I'm guessing main contagion vectors to be the cafeteria, turnstile, bathrooms and the office (open floor plan). I can go without coffee break socializing ( :(). But it's going to be harder to evade meetings, trainings, audits, since I'm usually the focus (eg. Quality, Ops, HSE, management are there to ask actual engineers to do/report stuff).

Last week I spoke with my boss and suggested coming on the weekends and/or other shifts in combination with remote work. He was completely blindsided. I'll talk again with him tomorrow.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2020, 02:29:04 PM
Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2020, 02:24:05 PM
This seems to be very regional. Chaos in the South-East, unruffled in the North-West and Wales.

Having self-isolated for about five weeks already I'm fairly well-prepared :P

Also I really like tinned fish and meat so I'm normally inadvertantly well prepped for a short apocalypse :ph34r:

Edit: AND on the loo roll point - who doesn't already buy loo roll in bulk? :blink:

Shelf why are you doing this, some other private medical issue or concern about coronavirus?

Hope you're alright otherwise.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on March 08, 2020, 02:43:34 PM
Shelf why are you doing this, some other private medical issue or concern about coronavirus?

Hope you're alright otherwise.
Yeah all good. Just recovering from an injury that rather severely curtailed my mobility - so I've been a shut-in watching this all happen and being kind of desperate to get out into the teeming, pestilential masses :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Legbiter on March 08, 2020, 02:27:50 PM

I bought the 24 roll megapack today. Felt a little embarrassing lugging it back home, especially as there doesn't seem to be any shortage.

Josephus

Quote from: Legbiter on March 07, 2020, 03:27:33 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2020, 03:23:59 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 07, 2020, 03:22:11 PM
Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2020, 02:31:12 PM
The national Eurovision contest is held without audience because of corona-scare. The fake clapping is fitting for most of the songs.

What's the situation in Denmark? I know Norway is closely mirroring us here with their sick Italian travellers.

30ish, all are travellers from Northern Italy, one is a former football player and he apparently infected an entire stadium when every Brøndby fan wanted a selfie with him.

Really? Fuck me, one dedicated superspreader can start a national pandemic all by himself like that South Korean preacher laying hands on everyone.

all began with one Chinese fuck eating a snake.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011