News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on March 07, 2020, 10:48:28 AMIt matches with the assumption that mortality rate is around 1% (when cases have run their course). The reason other countries see much higher ratios is that there are thousands of infected flying under the radar.

Age and health differences could also explain the discrepancy, but I doubt South Koreans are that much younger/healthier than Italians. A third explanation could be mutations.

It's a big relief because the math, assuming a 40% infection rate across the nation and a 2-3% case fatality rate over 6-9 months, is horrifying in it's conclusions. Not that a 1% is good but I'll take what I can get.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Iormlund

Quote from: Legbiter on March 07, 2020, 10:53:51 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on March 07, 2020, 10:48:28 AMIt matches with the assumption that mortality rate is around 1% (when cases have run their course). The reason other countries see much higher ratios is that there are thousands of infected flying under the radar.

Age and health differences could also explain the discrepancy, but I doubt South Koreans are that much younger/healthier than Italians. A third explanation could be mutations.

It's a big relief because the math, assuming a 40% infection rate across the nation and a 2-3% case fatality rate over 6-9 months, is horrifying in it's conclusions. Not that a 1% is good but I'll take what I can get.

Such a "low" mortality only applies while there are healthcare resources available, though. Enough infected at the same time and we could see a Logan's Run scenario.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 06, 2020, 05:23:33 PM
Valmy will be happy, Sxsw is canceled ;)

To not do so would be reckless.  I am glad we did the right thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

The Atlantic had a pretty good article about thre US response so far.

The Atlantic: Exclusive: The Strongest Evidence Yet That America Is Botching Coronavirus Testing.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/03/how-many-americans-have-been-tested-coronavirus/607597/?utm_source=feed
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Liep

The national Eurovision contest is held without audience because of corona-scare. The fake clapping is fitting for most of the songs.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on March 07, 2020, 01:35:21 AM
Quote from: grumbler on March 06, 2020, 10:53:52 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on March 06, 2020, 09:31:43 PM
I doubt you'll get a response. Once grumbler loses face he tends to ignore the thread for a while.

:lol:  Don't ever change those judgemental ways, Zoupa.

Your inability to ever admit you were mistaken is immature.

:lol:  Don't look in the mirror, pot.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2020, 02:31:12 PM
The national Eurovision contest is held without audience because of corona-scare. The fake clapping is fitting for most of the songs.

What's the situation in Denmark? I know Norway is closely mirroring us here with their sick Italian travellers.

Liep

Quote from: Legbiter on March 07, 2020, 03:22:11 PM

What's the situation in Denmark? I know Norway is closely mirroring us here with their sick Italian travellers.

30ish, all are travellers from Northern Italy, one is a former football player and he apparently infected an entire stadium when every Brøndby fan wanted a selfie with him. So we're in for an increase. :P

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

France jumps to nearly 1,000, 300+ cases in 24h. Woah.

Legbiter

Quote from: Liep on March 07, 2020, 03:23:59 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 07, 2020, 03:22:11 PM

30ish, all are travellers from Northern Italy, one is a former football player and he apparently infected an entire stadium when every Brøndby fan wanted a selfie with him.

Really? Fuck me, one dedicated superspreader can start a national pandemic all by himself like that South Korean preacher laying hands on everyone.

Liep

Quote from: Legbiter on March 07, 2020, 03:27:33 PM
Really? Fuck me, one dedicated superspreader can start a national pandemic all by himself like that South Korean preacher laying hands on everyone.

Only 77 was told to quarantine themselves but I hope everybody who shook his hand and took a selfie stay home as well.

Pedrito

Ooooohkay, the government has ordered to shut down completely Lombardy region (the productive heart of Italy) and 11 more provinces (including yours truly's one) until April, 3rd.

This means schools and universities closed, travelling to/from the areas "strongly discouraged", prohibition of every kind of social gathering (be it religious function, sport event, party, everything), minimum of 1 meter distance between people inside bars and restaurants, and many other measures.

If we survive, we'll be Joker-level crazy after 6 weeks of isolation.

It's been nice to know you, people  :(

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Fate

Still no confirmed cases in Baltimore yet. In preparation we have converted an entire floor of the hospital to become a Coronavirus ward. We're being told by the admin to stay home if we're sick, but we all know it's bullshit because if our experience is anything like Italy then we're going to need all hands on deck.

Just got back from a trip to Manhattan with mild flu symptoms. About a quarter of my co-workers are also sick with mild symptoms. No one's been tested.  :ph34r:

Pedrito

Just to be clear, shutting down Lombardy, part of Veneto and of Emilia-Romagna means shutting down about 30% of the GDP of Italy.

We're officially fucked.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: