News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I have a confession to make: our beloved high functioning member made me look more clever than I was.  I was just making a lame joke, I didn't actually express my belief in the tweet in question.  Now that I looked into it, I wish I did.

Caliga

Confirmed cases in both Indiana and Kentucky today.  BYE Y'ALL
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: merithyn on March 06, 2020, 06:32:16 PM
It was certainly my experience. *shrugs* Why wouldn't I believe it happened elsewhere?

Your experiences as an ER doctor?

First of all, the CDC doesn't say things like "doctors are allowed to test whomever they like."  The CDC doesn't control who doctors test. 

Secondly, doctors don't write things like "myself and my colleagues."  That's the wording of a moron trying to sound like a genius.  Trump could have written that.  The text is full of bullshit like that: calling Covid19 (the actual disease, for which they are testing), "corona."  People don't "have corona" they are suspected of having contracted (n)Covid19, or have been exposed to the coronavirus.  A doctor seems an unlikely person to not know the difference between a virus and a disease.

Real doctors (especially ER doctors) don't sound so emo.  They also don't claim that they are convinced that a person has a disease in the absence of any testing, especially a disease that cannot be told by symptoms from a number of similar ailments.

This just stinks of fake.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: dps on March 06, 2020, 06:42:56 PM
It was certainly my experience. *shrugs* Why wouldn't I believe it happened elsewhere?

I've never lived any place where the county health department had that kind of power, but I suppose anything is possible in La La Land.

County health is going to control the testing labs, so will have that power.  What I question is that a doctor, especially an ER doctor, is going to claim that the CDC gave him permission to perform any tests he wants.  That's not how medicine works, especially in cases where testing capabilities are so limited.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2020, 06:51:55 PM
It's consistent with the other information we have.  That CDC is controlling testing, that they had problems with kit supplies, and that individuals and doctors have reported being bound by protocols on who gets tested. 

Exactly.  Doctors are not going to be whining for reporters to report what everyone knows is true.

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

Quote from: grumbler on March 06, 2020, 08:37:15 PMSecondly, doctors don't write things like "myself and my colleagues." (...)  This just stinks of fake.

The author of the text has reached out to the LA Times, who have vetted their stories. They work at the ER at Downey.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Zoupa

I doubt you'll get a response. Once grumbler loses face he tends to ignore the thread for a while.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on March 06, 2020, 09:31:43 PM
I doubt you'll get a response. Once grumbler loses face he tends to ignore the thread for a while.
Let's not diminish that outcome, that's still a win of sorts.

Eddie Teach

You guys believe the LA Times? Talk about gullible.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

China reports almost all new infections outside Wuhan originated abroad

About a quarter of China's new confirmed cases and almost all of those outside the epidemic's epicenter in Wuhan originated outside the country on Friday, according to official data.

:hmm:

source: Reuters

Also Singapore's epidemic seems almost contained, though I can find a news website source for that; it was a point made by a WHO official.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: grumbler on March 06, 2020, 08:37:15 PM

Your experiences as an ER doctor?

First of all, the CDC doesn't say things like "doctors are allowed to test whomever they like."  The CDC doesn't control who doctors test. 

Secondly, doctors don't write things like "myself and my colleagues."  That's the wording of a moron trying to sound like a genius.  Trump could have written that.  The text is full of bullshit like that: calling Covid19 (the actual disease, for which they are testing), "corona."  People don't "have corona" they are suspected of having contracted (n)Covid19, or have been exposed to the coronavirus.  A doctor seems an unlikely person to not know the difference between a virus and a disease.

Real doctors (especially ER doctors) don't sound so emo.  They also don't claim that they are convinced that a person has a disease in the absence of any testing, especially a disease that cannot be told by symptoms from a number of similar ailments.

This just stinks of fake.

And yet.... :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on March 06, 2020, 09:31:43 PM

:lol:  Don't ever change those judgemental ways, Zoupa.

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

China reports almost all new infections outside Wuhan originated abroad

About a quarter of China's new confirmed cases and almost all of those outside the epidemic's epicenter in Wuhan originated outside the country on Friday, according to official data.

I wonder how they know this.

And who the fuck is traveling *to* Wuhan right now?

Zanza

The party will claim that the draconian measures that only a totalitarian state can enact vanquished the virus (which is likely even somewhat true) and that all further problems with the virus are due to foreigners.