News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Iormlund on March 05, 2020, 05:06:56 PM
Do they have a runny nose? About 95% of COVID cases do not.

No idea, they sit too far for me to know. Especially in England where you don't blownyohr nose into a hankerchief :p

Meanwhile 4 cases in Hungary with 40 other suspected ones in quarantine.

Tamas

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Iormlund

Quote from: Pedrito on March 05, 2020, 05:11:47 PM
Ok, a lot of cases here, and a lot of deaths; the average age of CoViD-19 deaths is 81 years old, many of them with preexisting pathologies.
I suppose the high number of deaths is linked to the high average age of italian population, but it does not explain the low numbers in Japan, that is the only nation with an average age older than Italy.

IIRC the virus mutated on its way to Italy, so it could be deadlier than in Japan.

But the easier solution to the high mortality mystery is that there are tens of thousands of undiagnosed carriers milling around.

viper37

2nd case in Quebec.  A man coming back from India.
My godchild's mom was in India a couple of weeks ago.
I thought of sending her the news and ask if it could be someone from her group, but I figured she might just panic, so I'll let it go.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

It's grimly ironic that we're posting in a Timmay thread that has a grossly understated title.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

HisMajestyBOB

Three cases have been confirmed just across the border in Maryland. It's been an honor posting with you all.   :(
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on March 05, 2020, 01:47:12 PM
Germany currently has higher daily growth than Italy, but so far no fatalities.  :ph34r: 500+ confirmed cases, thousands in quarantine.
It takes 2-4 weeks for this to kill most people.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on March 05, 2020, 09:04:52 PM
It's grimly ironic that we're posting in a Timmay thread that has a grossly understated title.
Poor Syt.  :(

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Iormlund on March 05, 2020, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 05, 2020, 04:36:49 PM
That's good in the sense that it's less deadly then it would appear.  But horrifying in the sense that it implies there are far more cases out there.  With ten deaths in the US, it implies we have over a 1000 cases as opposed to the 200 confirmed.

That's probably correct. Korea has been testing extensively and their mortality rate is well below 1%. Probably around that point once you take out recent, ongoing cases.
Takes 2-4 weeks to kill you and is much more deadly if the hospitals are overwhelmed and people can't be treated appropriately. Just look at Huebi province where the death rate is 4.3%
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

crazy canuck

Well we just got our first case of community transmission

Syt

Austrian paper Der Standard wrote how one case went:

A young woman thinks she might be infected.
Her mother called central medical hotline on her behalf.
After 2 hours of waiting she's told that her daughter will have to call herself.
Daughter calls, waits for 90 minutes on hold. She's told to not leave the house, and she'll be called back. Her mom is free to come and go as she pleases.
After 36 hours they're called back and given a phone number of a medical lab service to call. Said service will conduct the test.
They call, but the tape says the service only operates during the night between 7 pm and 7 am.
So they call later, and they're told that it might take"till after midnight" to send someone, because they currently only have 3 teams for Vienna.
At 3:18 am two guys in protective gear show up. The daughter has to step out of the apartment for the swab.
The guys remove their protective gear, ask mom and daughter to dispose of it; then they leave.

:wacko:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Yesterday we found a geriatric residence where around 20 people have been infected. We learnt of this because a few of them fell seriously ill and thus reported to the hospital (1 person has died so far). The origin of the infection hasn't been established.

Again, this tells me there's probably a huge bag of untracked mild cases and we only find out when somebody vulnerable - in this case, elderly - falls seriously ill.

Tamas

Yes to me it seems we should either be doing much more strict measures or give up on this whole self isolation joke thing and take it on the chin as Pretend Churchill said the other day.

jimmy olsen

CASES   DEATHS   RECOVERED      
100,001   3,405   55,521

1 Karma Chameleon point