Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 25, 2020, 03:24:48 AM
Also that some fashion designer held a fashion show with no audience and live streamed it.

That makes it sound like a performance art piece. :P

Giorgio Armani told people not to come because of the coronavirus but still had the show available for people to watch online.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Maladict

Two cases in Austrian Tyrol. This could be a prime opportunity to cull everyone on skiing holidays.

garbon

Syt

Two confirmed cases in Austria: two Italians in Tirol. :ph34r:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: The GuardianExpatriates in Italy have told of confusion and apocalyptic scenes in the north of the country, as it battles to contain the coronavirus which now appears to have spread to the south.

Jodie, a beautician who has lived in Dolo between Venice and Padua for 15 years, said that the atmosphere is strange and "no one knows what is going to happen"

Reminded me how racist the term "expat" is. Live 15 bloody years in Italy but she is an "expat" because she is British so obvs she can't be labelled an "immigrant" that's a nasty word!

celedhring

First case in peninsular Spain.  Woman from Barcelona that had traveled to northern Italy.

Honestly I'm not too scared of getting it myself, but I absolutely don't want to pass this shit to my parents.

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2020, 08:54:29 AM
Quote from: The GuardianExpatriates in Italy have told of confusion and apocalyptic scenes in the north of the country, as it battles to contain the coronavirus which now appears to have spread to the south.

Jodie, a beautician who has lived in Dolo between Venice and Padua for 15 years, said that the atmosphere is strange and "no one knows what is going to happen"

Reminded me how racist the term "expat" is. Live 15 bloody years in Italy but she is an "expat" because she is British so obvs she can't be labelled an "immigrant" that's a nasty word!

Depends.  To me, an immigrant is someone who has or seek to obtain citizenship in their new country.  An expat is someone working in a country while always keeping his own nationality.  I don't see it as racist.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Expats are immigrants from cool countries/ethnicities.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on February 25, 2020, 10:08:35 AM
An expat is someone working in a country while always keeping his own nationality.  I don't see it as racist.

Plenty of Mexicans work here without ever intending to become US Citizens, they send money home and will eventually go back home. I have never heard them described as expats before, to be fair to Tamas :lol:

"illegal expats"

Even legal ones are often called "guest workers" or something not expats. You have to be special to get called an expat. I am sure there is an expat Mexican community but they are elites and educated types.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Duque de Bragança

Champions' League tonight between Lyon (home team) and Juve. Juve always qualified vs a French club but this is not the biggest problem right now. ;)

Traditionnally, expat was somebody sent by a company to another country. Guess what, this was mostly for executive/management positions and temporary.
Immigrant was more of an individual choice, not executive/management jobs, with an individual leaving for another country for good, often without a job contract. "Guest workers" being a special case having one but initially not intended to stay.
So yes, European immigrants do exist.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on February 25, 2020, 09:53:06 AM
First case in peninsular Spain.  Woman from Barcelona that had traveled to northern Italy.

Honestly I'm not too scared of getting it myself, but I absolutely don't want to pass this shit to my parents.

Yeah, same. I'd guess I have reasonable survival chances even if I get it, but as I mentioned, I am rather worried about unknowingly carrying it home to my 1.5 years niece or my my near-100 grandma.

Tamas

Eddie Teach

Ex-pats are people from one's own country living abroad. Immigrants are people from other countries living in yours.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?