News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Definitely feels like this first wave is over in London:

That's hospitals only, but according to the ONS figures that still works for London. Non-covid deaths are at about the normal proportions (hospitals 45%, care homes 23%, homes 26% and the rest elsewhere), and, in London, 75% of covid deaths have been in hospitals (I feel this probably reflects the fact that we have a younger population generally so fewer care homes but also quite a lot more multi-generation households than other regions).

Also six major hospital trusts haven't had a reported death in a while now. And in my borough (Southwark) and Lambeth I think testing in recent days has confirmed under 10 positive cases.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grey Fox

Quebec's has plateaued for 6 weeks now. First signs of going down this week.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2020, 04:54:26 AM
If they learn Spanish Spanish, won't the landscapers laugh at them at home?

Assuming Yanks can learn Castilian is a pretty big IF. Mexican "Spanish" is already a herculean task.

The Larch

My working assumption on accents is that they'd sound to them as Brits sound to Americans. Maybe.  :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Larch on May 21, 2020, 07:50:57 AM

My working assumption on accents is that they'd sound to them as Brits sound to Americans. Maybe.  :hmm:

Somewhat related personal anectote, while I would sound like a Galician to most Castilian speakers while speaking Castilian; I do get sometimes some Brit-like to Americans reactions from Mexicans, as in snotty.  :D Never thought the use of (vosotros) would be so elitist.  :P

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 21, 2020, 07:56:40 AM
Quote from: The Larch on May 21, 2020, 07:50:57 AM

Somewhat related personal anectote, while I would sound like a Galician to most Castilian speakers while speaking Castilian; I do get sometimes some Brit-like to Americans reactions from Mexicans, as in snotty.  :D Never thought the use of (vosotros) would be so elitist.  :P

Latin American Spanish uses formal constructions much more often than Spain's Spanish, which is much more blunt and direct. A common thing that many Latin American inmigrants say when they come to Spain is that initially they're quite shocked to see people talking so rudely, until they realize that it's just the way we speak over here.

Duque de Bragança

That's not true for Mexicans obviously, but there is a lot more of profanity used by Spaniards in casual conversation according to South Americans I met. This matches with Spanish clichés from shall we say, elsewhere.
:P

PS: LULZ Spanish Spanish, even Spain's Spanish, is a really ugly repetition, outside of a comical context.  Can't (North?!) Iberian Spanish be used if Castilian somewhat triggering or deemed imprecise/elitist/whatever?
Not to mention that's pretty vague, it's not exactly what is spoken in the South.  :lol:

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 20, 2020, 11:17:24 PM
Wow. What a piece of shit. And if you are a piece of shit don't write an article bragging and rationalizing it, shut the fuck up.

I reread the article several times and I don't see what covid19 rules they broke. The closest seems to be:

QuoteFour days later, Vicky headed from Miami to Key Largo because the kids and I had coronavirus tests scheduled and we only had one car. Maybe we could have taken an Uber to get the test. The truth was, we wanted to be together.

Someone needed to travel between Miami and Key Largo to transport the author--it was probably far better for Vicky rather than an Uber driver because an Uber driver will obviously have others in the community in the car.

Lying to the cops made for a dramatic story, but was either unnecessary or the police manning the checkpoints were fascist.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

In the UK you're not allowed to travel to your second home or holiday homes (mainly because these tend to be people going from urban, more infectious areas to rural areas which may have less of the disease when you arrive, but also less healthcare resource and in the UK more elderly folks).

The Scottish Chief Medical Officer had to resign after it emerged she'd stayed in her holiday home in Fife for two weekends, while advising the rest of the country to stay at home except for essential journeys.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I heard Neil Gaiman caught flak for traveling from New Zealand to the Isle of Skye to get away from his wife with whom he is in a spat.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Friend of mine moved to a country house in the Pyrinees halfway the quarantine. She was dumb enough to post pics of it on IG and got massive abuse. It's illegal to do that anyway (for the same reasons Sheilbh cited).

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 21, 2020, 09:00:19 AM
In the UK you're not allowed to travel to your second home or holiday homes (mainly because these tend to be people going from urban, more infectious areas to rural areas which may have less of the disease when you arrive, but also less healthcare resource and in the UK more elderly folks).

The Scottish Chief Medical Officer had to resign after it emerged she'd stayed in her holiday home in Fife for two weekends, while advising the rest of the country to stay at home except for essential journeys.

France, at least red zones, has this 100 km rule, as the crow flies, so it really depend where the bourgeois country house is.  :P

alfred russel

Where I work, when we shut down, everyone with a mountain or lake house split for them asap.

In the case of the lady writing the article, however, she was coming back from Spain after an extended period. I'm not sure why it was more responsible to establish her covid domicile in Miami proper versus Key Largo. It is probably much easier to isolate on Key Largo, and Key Largo isn't some isolated remote community: it is an hour's drive from Miami.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Larch

Over here people could only visit their 2nd residences as long as they were within the same province and it was on Phase 1. My parents went to the countryside for the weekend last week as soon as they could, and most probably will do so again this weekend.

The Brain

Here you can only make trips that, when viewed from space, make a dirty word.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.