News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

People here were requested not to go to their remote second homes because those smaller communities lacked the health care resources to treat them - some communities in this province can double or triple in size in the summer months.

There was no legal requirement not to go, with some exceptions.  And people generally followed the recommendations not to travel to those locations.

Sheilbh

So the Scottish government have announced their phased lockdown lifting proposals which seem very, very similar to those adopted by the English government. Scotland will move from lockdown to "phase 1" next week. Given that the SNP called Johnson's proposals a "disgrace", this seems a bit like how they attacked the slogan "stay alert" for confusing the message but then adopted the slogan "remain vigilant" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

My girlfriend and I have been talking about where to live after this ends...

We work in Atlanta, but are assuming work from home will be a norm. We are thinking of getting a second home in the Tennessee mountains. If we can work from home 2 days a week, and make those days Monday and Friday, we could spend 4 days a week in the mountains and 3 days in Atlanta. A side benefit is that Tennessee has no personal income taxes.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2020, 10:21:54 AM

We work in Atlanta, but are assuming work from home will be a norm. We are thinking of getting a second home in the Tennessee mountains. If we can work from home 2 days a week, and make those days Monday and Friday, we could spend 4 days a week in the mountains and 3 days in Atlanta. A side benefit is that Tennessee has no personal income taxes.

Don't you pay taxes based on where you make your money?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2020, 10:24:34 AM
Don't you pay taxes based on where you make your money?

I don't know the tax rules...I presume so...so 60% would go to Georgia and 40% to Tennessee (aka--nothing), while for investment income it would be a more attractive split?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Valmy

Tennessee does tax investment income though, right? They just don't tax wages. Still probably lower than Georgia I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2020, 10:35:27 AM
Tennessee does tax investment income though, right? They just don't tax wages. Still probably lower than Georgia I guess.

It is phased out next year.

Valmy

Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2020, 10:47:08 AM
Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2020, 10:35:27 AM

It is phased out next year.

Cool. Without oil I don't know how Tennessee can afford to do that but more power to them :P

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 21, 2020, 07:29:00 AM
Quebec's has plateaued for 6 weeks now. First signs of going down this week.
Yeah, outside of retirement homes it's fine:
https://www.inspq.qc.ca/covid-19/donnees/details

I swear I saw a graphic detailing Montreal apart, but I can't find it now.  Weird.  Anyway.  A slight increase of 2-3 cases in my area, well contained for a week now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2020, 10:21:54 AM

The nearly 10% sales tax in some areas is irritating.  But a cabin in the Smokies or close by would be frickin' sweet.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

According to Health Secretary about 17% of London residents have tested positive in antibody tests, 5% for the rest of the country (I assume England, but not sure). This must explain part of the faster reduction in London because you can basically knock 17% off the R. But the population in London's about 9 million, so that's about 1.5 million plus about 2.5 million in the rest of England. So overall about a 7% infection rate.

Also saw that serology tests in Stockholm was 7% which is a lot lower than I was expecting.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Madrid artist donates a sculpture to homage the victims of COVID.

Looks like a ghost with diarrhea taking a shit. Which I guess isn't the worst COVID analogy.

Zanza

While cases are still falling in Germany, the effect of less restrictions is noticeable in the case numbers (the red line).