News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I'm working from home starting Monday, indefinitely.  Our building is not closing down, for the moment at least, but we're advised to only go there if we have a good reason.

Maladict

I've been home with flu like symptoms since Tuesday, getting slightly better. My boss is trying to get me to come in on Monday because of some meeting.  :wacko:

Iormlund

SEAT and Renault factories are stopping. We've been in a race between lack of parts from Lombardy and quarantines to see why and which OEMs first started halting production.

Other plants will likely soon follow, but for now are cancelling all flex and vacation days to cover for parents who must care for their children at home.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on March 13, 2020, 02:25:23 PM
I've been home with flu like symptoms since Tuesday, getting slightly better. My boss is trying to get me to come in on Monday because of some meeting.  :wacko:
Fuck's sake.

I saw a story today that the Whole Foods CEO has suggested healthy employees could "donate" their holiday to unwell colleagues :wacko: :ultra:

After having to use a script in his last statement, the President's apparently making another statement. There are no teleprompters :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2020, 02:33:21 PM
Meanwhile, in a Vienna supermarket ...

Sigh. They used to only come out at night.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on March 13, 2020, 02:19:09 PM
I'm working from home starting Monday, indefinitely.  Our building is not closing down, for the moment at least, but we're advised to only go there if we have a good reason.
One other side on why I wonder how this might end up changing working is when companies assess productivity gain/loss v the amount they're paying in rent for office space (especially in place like NY, London etc)).
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Camerus on March 13, 2020, 02:15:24 PM
Alberta is still continuing with half measures for now. Inquiries into working from home are still met with dismissiveness in my government office.

I expect that will change by next week at the latest.

We've been told to bring our laptops home with us at the end of the day.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

I'm sick as well. Mostly cough and runny nose, so it's probably just a cold. Self-isolating in any case.

I suspect I already had COVID earlier in the month. The plant was hit by a particularly potent bug in late January. I was sick for about a month. Really bad cough and bearable fevers. No way to be sure though.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2020, 09:39:32 AM
On a nerdier note, it would be interesting to compare how pre-modern societies reacted to disease outbreaks with our modern societies, esp. the mass psychology of it.

Define pre-modern? Before the last century, most people wouldn't have been aware of what's going on down the road.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I had slightly elevated temperature last week Tuesday and left early. My company insisted I stay home two additional days, just to be safe. I was feeling fine, but I didn't want to say no to two free days off. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Iormlund

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2020, 09:39:32 AM
On a nerdier note, it would be interesting to compare how pre-modern societies reacted to disease outbreaks with our modern societies, esp. the mass psychology of it.

Instead of compulsively hoarding toilet rolls they would have burnt down the closest synagogue.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on March 13, 2020, 02:37:26 PM
Quote from: Camerus on March 13, 2020, 02:15:24 PM
Alberta is still continuing with half measures for now. Inquiries into working from home are still met with dismissiveness in my government office.

I expect that will change by next week at the latest.

We've been told to bring our laptops home with us at the end of the day.

You were asking about criminal courts the other day. Ontario's Superior Court has suspended jury selections, so I guess they don't plan on any new trials.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Speaking of trials, is crime taking time off too? Non-rhetorical.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.