Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Iormlund on March 13, 2020, 01:05:08 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on March 13, 2020, 11:36:52 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 13, 2020, 11:32:12 AM
https://twitter.com/globalhlthtwit/status/1238425621375651840

Everybody else at this point in time is trying to close down as much as they can. The UK is volunteering to be the control group in this experiment.  :hmm:

I would say they are the experiment. We are the control group.

Personally, I think the UK's plan is not daring enough. Everyone under 55 and in good health should be drafted and a country-wide orgy set up. Hit every major city at least once. After a month herd immunity would be achieved with minimal losses.
And these losses may even be offset somewhat in 9 months.

Richard Hakluyt

......and yet Chesham dogging group has abandoned all meetings for the duration :

https://twitter.com/mickjon95058639?lang=en

The lack of patriotism is shocking and depressing  :(

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Legbiter

Quote from: Iormlund on March 13, 2020, 01:05:08 PMPersonally, I think the UK's plan is not daring enough. Everyone under 55 and in good health should be drafted and a country-wide orgy set up. Hit every major city at least once. After a month herd immunity would be achieved with minimal losses.

Imagine it. A strong Britain arising, purified of all senescent weakness, emerging like a terribly beautiful phoenix from the cleansing flame of the Wuhan virus. Ready to pounce while the other weak nations flail around, refusing to enact the inevitable cull.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Denmark is closing the border. Soldiers will be deployed to guard it, all nonessential flights will be cancelled and all travellers barred except those with Danish citizenship.

Threviel

I Denmark really following what the scientists recommend?

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 13, 2020, 10:19:28 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2020, 09:51:24 AM
I'm currently concerned about the US. What are the current projections for how things might go?

Given the lack of testing in that country - anyone's guess.

I think BC has still done more testing that the whole of the US

California is looking to commandeer hotel rooms to use as hospital space if necessary. Each city/state will come up with their own plans, I'm guessing.

There are still only a select number of respirators available, though. :ph34r:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

I'm now set to work remotely until at least April 7, with the potential of it being extended in two-week increments after. I anticipate working remotely until at least May.

This is going to be tough. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Legbiter

Quote from: Threviel on March 13, 2020, 01:41:55 PM

Their experts are certainly more...robust than ours.

Caliga

I need to get a KVM switch.  My home office setup, while adequate for the limited amount of working from home I do currently (which is most weeknights, but not all night and certainly not all day), ain't gonna cut the mustard as a 60+ hour a week workspace.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Quote from: merithyn on March 13, 2020, 01:42:51 PM
California is looking to commandeer hotel rooms to use as hospital space if necessary. Each city/state will come up with their own plans, I'm guessing.

There are still only a select number of respirators available, though. :ph34r:
There's talk of the NHS requisitioning private beds/wards (which are mainly in NHS hospitals anyway) :o (:w00t:)
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Threviel on March 13, 2020, 01:41:55 PM

On immigration or on corona?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

County exec shut down the schools today. Indefinite.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Camerus

Alberta is still continuing with half measures for now. Inquiries into working from home are still met with dismissiveness in my government office.

I expect that will change by next week at the latest.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2020, 11:19:31 AM
Whoa. The chamber of doctors gives the go-ahead for telephone prescriptions. So far, if you need a prescription refilled you need to go to your doctor's practice and pick up the paper prescription. Depending on how busy things are you might wait a while.

Starting Monday, most doctors will be able to do a paperless prescription, meaning you call, ask for your refill, and they inform pharmacy. At the pharmacy you give your name and social security number and get your meds.

Why does it take a pandemic to get this introduced? :P

I think the 1919 one did it for us  :P