Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on April 23, 2021, 02:16:04 AM
Exactly right, hence the need for a control group. The scientific method is there for a reason.

Hence the preference for a control group.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on April 22, 2021, 09:51:47 PM
Any excess death figures available for India, with or without commas?
I think it's too soon for excess death stats - but like with Indonesia and Ecuador in the first wave the FT with local journalists looked at the number of cremations for covid deaths in local papers in seven districts:

Also looking at hospitals only there's more than double the number of covid ICU patients (per million) in Nagpur as there were in Bergamo. Delhi and Mumbai have more pateients (per million) than the worst hit bits of Europe last year and the numbers are still climbing.

But it looks very bad:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

So looks like my younger brother has it. He told me yesterday. He's not doing so well either. :(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

Quote from: Josephus on April 23, 2021, 06:23:59 AM
So looks like my younger brother has it. He told me yesterday. He's not doing so well either. :(

Oh no  :(

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: alfred russel on January 23, 2020, 12:11:24 PM
I would be terrified of this too, but my fear is already maxed on Ebola. :(

Did you know that Ebola is a virus that has made the very rare jump from animal to human transmission to human to human transmission?
Ebola would have burnt out by now.
PDH!

Barrister

Here's a fun factoid.  The city of Prince Rupert, BC (pop 15,000) had a 2 week window where every adult was offered to be vaccinated.  It's a city in northern BC with no community of any size for 500km, so somewhat isolated.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

So in Alberta our vaccine roll-out continues.  The main roll-out is still focusing on specific categories of people (high risk, front line workers, etc.) We did receive a large supply of the AZ-Oxford vaccine, but it has been under a bit of a cloud.  So they opened that one up for anyone age 40+ without conditions.

And Gen-X answered the bell with enthusiasm.  So much so that the AZ shots are due to run out today.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/covid-gen-x-alberta-vaccine-1.5998296

Grey Fox

I'm really impressed by Canadian Gen-Xers. Apparently, we taught good math skills back in the 70-80s.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 23, 2021, 11:01:20 AM
I'm really impressed by Canadian Gen-Xers. Apparently, we taught good math skills back in the 70-80s.

Gen-X types are beginning to feel their mortality
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Barrister

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 23, 2021, 10:46:32 AM
So in Alberta our vaccine roll-out continues.  The main roll-out is still focusing on specific categories of people (high risk, front line workers, etc.) We did receive a large supply of the AZ-Oxford vaccine, but it has been under a bit of a cloud.  So they opened that one up for anyone age 40+ without conditions.

And Gen-X answered the bell with enthusiasm.  So much so that the AZ shots are due to run out today.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/covid-gen-x-alberta-vaccine-1.5998296

Yeah same story here in Vancouver.

Barrister

alfred russel

Out of curiousity we checked vaccine appointment availability today (we got our first shot a few weeks ago and our second is on the 28th), and it seems Georgia appointment slots are widely available now.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Well this is grim - from a blue-ticked political party's account:
QuoteBJP Bengal
@BJP4Bengal
As soon as BJP government comes to power in West Bengal, COVID-19 vaccine will be provided free of cost to everyone.

Meanwhile the current Chief Minister has said that the central government's been diverting supplies to other states.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Uber just sent me a "vaccine facts from the government of Canada" email :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.