Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 23, 2021, 02:27:13 PM
Well this is grim - from a blue-ticked political party's account:

This is the Trump play? Vote for us and you get the vaccine, vote for our competitors and you don't?

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 23, 2021, 11:01:20 AM
I'm really impressed by Canadian Gen-Xers. Apparently, we taught good math skills back in the 70-80s.
Nous y en a été dans grande école, nous y en a savoir beaucoup choses.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: viper37 on April 23, 2021, 03:03:07 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 23, 2021, 11:01:20 AM
I'm really impressed by Canadian Gen-Xers. Apparently, we taught good math skills back in the 70-80s.
Nous y en a été dans grande école, nous y en a savoir beaucoup choses.

:lol:

Grey Fox

Pepsi; Joe Louis; Journal de Montréal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

We really no idea how bad this is in the third world.  Statisticians will be trying to figure that out a decade from now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Austrian government announced that they aim to reopen pretty much everything middle of May. Vienna city already cautioned that if that timeline holds they might not join, depending on how the situation then.

But bars, restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, football stadiums etc. are supposed to re-open, with restrictions - e.g. for restaurants you need a recent negative test, or proof of vaccination, or proof to have recently recovered from Covid. Because of those restrictions the comments sections of papers are full of "muh freeeeedoooms" and "if that's the new normal you can shove it up your arse".

About 26% of vaccinatable people have received at least one shot so far, and around 10% 2 shots.

7 day cases per 100k is down to 174 for Austria and 188 in Vienna. Worst off are Vorarlberg at 233 who reopened bars and restaurants a few weeks ago due to low infection numbers as a model region. They don't plan on closing anything again at the moment.

Their curve, with Austrian number in grey:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

So, tomorrow the regional government will remove the county-level lockdowns and relax the rule of six. There will still be a limit of six people per indoor gathering, but no longer restricted to 2 bubbles. That means I could legally start meeting my pals again for beers and boardgames  :hmm:

Will discuss it with them, although I guess we'll wait a bit because the reopening feels certainly premature. Infection rate is still over 250 in Catalonia, even if it's trending downards.

grumbler

Had a really weird experience yesterday.  In this area, masking and distancing are still pretty much universally observed.  I'd only seen one un-masked person in a store in months, and that person was given a mask by a store employee and told that they need to wear it or leave.

Then i went into a local business named Arbortech that sells lawn and tree maintenance stuff to both professionals and the public.  I noticed that there were now a lot of rolls of robe, harnesses, pitons, and the like.  I also noticed that not a single customer, except me, was masked.  No employee was masked.  Both of those changes were new.  I bought the weedwhacker cord I was looking for, and asked the clerk at the register, as I was ringing out, why the ropes and stuff.  She explained that they were now really into rock climbing sales.

Given our own AR's attitude here, I wondered f there wasn't something to the connection between rock climbing and MAH FREEDOM!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

The Hungarian government published statistics of infections and deaths after two vaccine doses. The latter supposedly means dying of Covid although legally speaking I don't think they make that clear. What's nice is that the overall percentages are 0.4 and 0.002 respectively.

The main thing they want people to take away from all this though, is that the "number of infections and deaths after two doses of the Pfizer vaccine are double of the Sinopharm one" (the whole post starts with "power on the left try to manipulate people into not getting vaccinated" which is a blatant lie as I explained in the Hungary thread I think).

Table "events after immunisation" Columns are, from left to right:
1. Number of infections
2. Infected per 100k vaccinated
3. Number of deaths
4. Deaths per 100k vaccinated

Needless to say, even if accurate a lot of information is missing. Crucially, how many people have been vaccinated in total with each of the vaccines. The "per 100k" numbers appear to be for all vaccinated not the vaccinated with the given vaccine. And Pfizer was the first they started with end of last year, given to health and social care workers, at-risk people, care home residents, etc.

Of course I guess they are in trouble, they bought a crapton of Sinopharm for something like 10x the price of Pfizer, and a lot of people are refusing the Chinese one.

But it's also just anti-E propaganda. New Pfizer shipments make it to the government information page only with quite a delay, while they are eager to post about the Chinese arrivals - heck, last time Orban went to to receive it from the cargo plane landing, in person.

:glare:

Josephus

So yeah, my brother is being transferred to the ICU.
:(
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Richard Hakluyt

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!