Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

:(

Hang in there Jos, plus the ICU care procedures have gotten a lot more effective and less damaging now as compared with at the start of the pandemic.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Josephus on April 25, 2021, 03:46:18 PM
So yeah, my brother is being transferred to the ICU.
Sorry to hear this. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Larch

Sorry to hear that, Joe. Was your brother in good health before this? I trust that treatment has greatly improved over time and an ICU admission nowadays is not as dire a situation as earlier in the pandemic.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Yes, it's bad news but look at my uncle as a hopeful example: it wasn't looking good at all when he was put in ICU, but he managed to get better in fairly short order while there.

The Larch

I'm reading that the US is lifting the export ban on Covid vaccines in order to supply India in light of the dire situation they're in. The EU and the UK are also sending respirators and oxigen. Even Pakistan is sending aid.

Also, the EU is taking AstraZeneca to court over the repeated failures to supply the agreed amount of vaccines.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 26, 2021, 08:07:05 AM
I'm reading that the US is lifting the export ban on Covid vaccines in order to supply India in light of the dire situation they're in. The EU and the UK are also sending respirators and oxigen. Even Pakistan is sending aid.
Yeah - everywhere needs to help as much as possible right now. The news from India is just awful :(

It looks like we'll also be sending a lot of the ventilators that were made this time last year but, thankfully, not needed here. And we're seeing similar national emergency acts in India - massive manufacturing bases being quickly changed to make things needed for medical reasons.

But at the minute India accounts for about 45% of all new cases in the world.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Josephus on April 25, 2021, 03:46:18 PM
So yeah, my brother is being transferred to the ICU.

Deeply sorry to hear that. As others have pointed out though, it looks like treatments are more effective nowadays. I just had a friend (about my age) being released from the ICU after he got a serious case.

Josephus

Thanks

I spoke to his wife this morning. He's still in ICU but they tell her he's stable and they may look to take him out later today or tomorrow. So that' sgood.

John is 51 and suffers from Crohn's. He has immune deficiancy issues, so that's probably why he got it bad. He also drinks and smokes, so yeah, he's never been a picture of good health. (He's very skinny though). His wife and daughter, thankfully are isolating at home, but show no symptoms. From what I understand he tested positive a few days ago, but showed no symptoms other than a high fever. But a couple nights ago he found himself struggling to breathe with even the most mundane tasks; so his wife took him to hospital. He's in good hands, and hopefully I'll have better news by tomorrow.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.