Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Proof that the fatality rate is over 00.5%

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1383750538966175745
QuoteLet this sink in—Peru's pandemic excess deaths is so high, it has lost ~1 in 200 residents. That's equivalent to ~1.5 mil US excess deaths - almost triple the US if same population size. And the deaths are further climbing. Excess deaths more reliable when testing low.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

US crosses 65% fully or partially vaccinated. This is a good sign. We need at least 70% fully vaccinated to approach herd immunity and the more the better.
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1383923632640913411

QuoteCOVID-19 vaccinations in the U.S.:

(Partially) vaccinated:
▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░
39.75% (+0.53)

Fully vaccinated:
▓▓▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░
25.52% (+0.54)

Unfortunately India is not slowing down.
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1383907010182189062

BNO Newsroom (@BNODesk)
QuoteMore than 275,000 coronavirus cases were reported in India today, by far the biggest one-day increase on record
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Actually, I think that BNO US vaccination stat is presented in a very counterintuitive way and you can't add the two stats together, so it's not nearly as good as I initially thought.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/548609-cdc-30-percent-of-us-adults-fully-vaccinated-50-percent-have-received-at

1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

There should be a law against writing or saying "let this sink in"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on April 19, 2021, 02:23:19 AM
There should be a law against writing or saying "let this sink in"
Why? It's a perfectly cromulent expression.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

It seems to imply one must internalize the conclusion of what was just said without first, you know, determine if it is a bullshit claim. At least that is why I don't like it much.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Taking advantage of reduced restrictions on the weekend I saw some people including a doctor.
Interesting anti vax angle for him. He says he wouldn't recommend the vaccine to anyone under 40 with no health conditions as
1: the risks from corona vs. The risks from the vaccine are both tiny so it comes down to actively seeking something out vs just seeing if you get unlucky.
2: the vaccine is for strains which are already dying out and he doesn't have much confidence in how much they apply to new strains.

How's the evicence been on the vaccine reducing transmission?

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2021, 11:03:13 PM
I can believe Rwanda - it's a very efficient, pretty authoritarian country. It wouldn't surprise me if they've really been able to keep cases down and roll out vaccines successfully. I can also believe Laos given the numbers in Vietnam, China and Thailand.

Yes. If they can sort Kigali then the rest of the country is isolated enough that it should be alright.
I can believe they've managed to largely avoid it.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

As discussed before the only thing I'd be interested re. vaccines vs. new strains is: can vaccines overwhelmingly prevent hospitalisation even with new strains? If yes, then frankly we should not care if people are less protected against flu-level symptoms. The society-level impact of the pandemic, as I see it, is around pressure on the healthcare system.

Maladict

Quote from: Tamas on April 18, 2021, 12:54:05 PM
Not to scare Maladict, but my uncle tested negative twice while his condition steadily deteriorated showing typical symptoms. The third test his GP sent in to the hospital lab, that was positive, this was a day or two before he ended up in the hospital.

Yeah, my friend unfortunately has been increasingly unwell the fast few days, first symptoms appearing almost a week after testing positive.
I, on the other hand, have gone over 12 hours without symptoms now. Let's hope it lasts.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 19, 2021, 02:59:24 AM
It seems to imply one must internalize the conclusion of what was just said without first, you know, determine if it is a bullshit claim. At least that is why I don't like it much.

I think you're reading that in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 18, 2021, 11:03:11 PM
Proof that the fatality rate is over 00.5%

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1383750538966175745
QuoteLet this sink in—Peru's pandemic excess deaths is so high, it has lost ~1 in 200 residents. That's equivalent to ~1.5 mil US excess deaths - almost triple the US if same population size. And the deaths are further climbing. Excess deaths more reliable when testing low.

While the infected fatality rate likely is over 0.5%, this is clearly not proof of that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

If any one of you continues to engage Dorsy in this endless "debate" I am really going to fly off the handle.

Eddie Teach

Well, he is technically right. Excess deaths could be caused by a variety of things.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2020, 06:28:37 AM
Quote from: katmai on April 14, 2020, 05:12:42 AM
I preface this by saying I know the USA has woeful testing numbers but am I reading that the fatality rate of reported cases is like 4.0%

Currently the US is 4.04%, however NYC has been having like two hundred excess deaths a day at home over the norm every day. So, yeah, it's probably artificially low.

:hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tyr on April 19, 2021, 03:13:53 AM
How's the evicence been on the vaccine reducing transmission?
Very, very good.

It's a bit like the 3 month delayed second dose. It wasn't looked at in the trials that much because the priority was getting vaccines that are safe and effective, but they are behaving like every other vaccine.

And I find the variant line a bit weird - the current vaccines are effective against the UK strain, the Brazilian strain (which is awful) and, from what I understand, the new strain in India. The only strain where there's a limited issue of vaccine escape is the South African.

Also any new vaccines that are being approved now will have been doing trials with lots of variants around - unlike Pfizer/AZ/Moderna which were first in and only dealt with the original strains.
Let's bomb Russia!