Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Sounds like Ontario is introducing some pretty heavy "Lockdown" type conditions - including closing the Quebec and Manitoba borders.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 16, 2021, 03:40:09 PM
Sounds like Ontario is introducing some pretty heavy "Lockdown" type conditions - including closing the Quebec and Manitoba borders.

I am getting concerned about CC junior and our Ontario Languish crew

saskganesh

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 16, 2021, 03:49:40 PM

Thanks. It's not looking good here. Our latest weekly lockdown/smackdown has not been received well.The Ford government is really flailing.

You can't go to the park, but you have to go to work sick.
humans were created in their own image

mongers

A metric for determining the 25 countries in the worst situation at the moment, only those with 5 or more million population:

1    Czech Rep.-243.5   
2    Hungary -209.4   
3    Bulgaria    -203.5   
4    Belgium    -181.5   
5    Slovakia -176.8   
6    Peru    -172.0   
7    Italy    -167.6   
8    Poland    -159.8   
9    Brazil    -159.1   
10    Mexico    -157.7   
11    Portugal    -142.7   
12    Spain    -139.3   
13    Colombia -135.3   
14    France    -130.9   
15    UK    -128.1   
16    Argentina -119.7   
17    Chile    -119.4   
18    Sweden    -115.8   
19    US    -112.8   
20    Romania -111.9   
21    Bolivia    -106.8   
22    Switzerland -102.2   
23    Ecuador    -99.8   
24    Lebanon -94.6   
25    South Africa -92.2   

The score is generate by taking the Doses given per 100pop and deducting the death rate per 100,000, so the range is positive 100 to negative a lot.

The countries in the best position currently are:

1    United Arab Emirates 78.9   
2    Israel                  43.6   
3    Singapore    28.0   
4    Norway     10.0   
5    Cambodia    8.8   
6    Finland        8.2   
7    China         6.3   
8    New Zealand    2.3   
9    Australia    1.6   
10    Sri Lanka    1.4   
11    Thailand     0.7   
12    Laos        0.6 no confidence in this score
13    Rwanda      0.1 no confidence in this score
14    Taiwan     0.1   
15    Vietnam      0.1   

An honourable mention should go to Bhutan, a landlocked Asian country of 0.75 million, that's had just one death and has administered 61.8 per 100 people for a score of positive 61.8

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

I can believe Rwanda - it's a very efficient, pretty authoritarian country. It wouldn't surprise me if they've really been able to keep cases down and roll out vaccines successfully. I can also believe Laos given the numbers in Vietnam, China and Thailand.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

I'm not sure that's a good metric to gauge the *current* situation if it uses accumulated deaths. Seems more apt to measure overall performance, as in "how much you got hit before you rolled out the cure".

Anyway, over here things are "not great, not terrible". I mean, cases and hospital occupancy are rising, but everybody seems to agree the 4th wave curve is milder than expected. We are past 20% of people vaccinated with at least a dose + whatever natural immunity we already had, so that's probably having an effect.

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2021, 11:03:13 PM
I can believe Rwanda - it's a very efficient, pretty authoritarian country.

That's a horrible two-way street.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on April 16, 2021, 08:36:14 PM

Thanks. It's not looking good here. Our latest weekly lockdown/smackdown has not been received well.The Ford government is really flailing.

the risk of transmission outside being very low, I don't quite understand why they are closing parks :(
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Yeah - it's the worst of all worlds and goes against everything we now to shut down parks and make people work indoors :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: saskganesh on April 16, 2021, 08:36:14 PM

That is pretty stupid, it goes against all the evidence.

viper37

Seems Ontario has backtracked a bit on some of the more drastic measures:
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ontario-walks-back-new-pandemic-police-powers-following-widespread-backlash/ar-BB1fKvMu?li=AAggNb9

QuoteTORONTO — Ontario's government has walked back sweeping new police powers a day after they were announced.

Solicitor General Sylvia Jones says officers will no longer have the right to stop pedestrians or drivers to ask why they are out or request their home address.

Instead, she says, police will only be able to stop people who they have reason to believe are participating in an "organized public event or social gathering."

Friday's announcement that police could arbitrarily stop residents prompted a swift and furious backlash from civil libertarians and public health experts alike.

They argued that the added police powers aimed at enforcing stay-at-home orders were overkill.

Many police forces across the province also indicated they did not intend to make use of their new powers.

Measures announcing the closure of outdoor spaces also puzzled many public health experts, who said the rules didn't make sense given the low risk of catching COVID-19 outside.

Premier Doug Ford also backtracked on a pledge to close playgrounds on Saturday.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

So I've tested negative twice now, but I keep having lingering headaches, a runny nose and a slightly elevated temperature. I think I'll quarantine for a bit longer just to be safe.
All of my friend's colleagues have now tested positive, hurray for moronic employers.  :rolleyes:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on April 18, 2021, 07:21:17 AM
So I've tested negative twice now, but I keep having lingering headaches, a runny nose and a slightly elevated temperature. I think I'll quarantine for a bit longer just to be safe.
All of my friend's colleagues have now tested positive, hurray for moronic employers.  :rolleyes:

Mal, I hope you test out OK.

Yes, anecdotally this Kent/English seems to be especially contagious in the workplace/confined spaces.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Quote from: Maladict on April 18, 2021, 07:21:17 AM

A colleague of mine tested negative several times at the hospital despite having a typical clinical presentation of covid (including ground-glass lung x-ray).

Tamas

Not to scare Maladict, but my uncle tested negative twice while his condition steadily deteriorated showing typical symptoms. The third test his GP sent in to the hospital lab, that was positive, this was a day or two before he ended up in the hospital.