Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2020, 04:11:19 PM
So is it possible the real numbers are not published? Or is it normal to declare a flu that kills 180 elderly in a city of 11 million an international emergency?

WHO says the declaration is to protect countries who are less able to control the outbreak.  Which stands to reason.  No other country can lock down its population like China.

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on January 30, 2020, 04:11:19 PM
So is it possible the real numbers are not published? Or is it normal to declare a flu that kills 180 elderly in a city of 11 million an international emergency?

It's the explosive growth in numbers and geographic spread that is freaking people out.

Let's say a third of Americans contract the disease. 110 million. This is the same percentage as caught the Spanish flu.

Furthermore let's say 90% of those people barely notice it and only 10% are bad enough off to go to the hospital and get treatment. That's still going to result in hundreds of thousands dead if 2-3% of that 11 million die.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

First two positives, from the same Chinese family, in Newcastle.

'been nice knowing you, Tyr.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on January 31, 2020, 06:12:22 AM
First two positives, from the same Chinese family, in Newcastle.

'been nice knowing you, Tyr.

Those are probably from the 1400-1500 who returned from Wuhan in the last three weeks of January and were advised health minister to self-monitor/self isolate.  :hmm:

Whereas this week the returnees are going to be quarantined in a sealed area for two weeks; I wonder what could have change this week   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

Everyone posting here got their flu shot this year, right? Just checking.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbaku on January 31, 2020, 08:43:48 AM
Yup.

I'd be crazy not to get it given that I work at a school
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

I don't get the flu.  :D*

* :recluse emoji needed:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Iormlund

Yep.

Usually didn't bother before, but I've noticed how much easier it is to catch stuff working with so many people around (plant staff is approx 1000 workers). Many of my colleagues are also parents with young kids, whereas before I worked with either older folk with grown kids or fairly young people with none at all.

grumbler

Not that it does much good this year, since they forecast the wrong strain to inoculate against.

I suppose, though, that it would be a bad idea to get the flu when the hospitals are crammed with CV cases, so even a mostly useless precaution is probably worth it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

You'd have to be crazy not get a flu shot.  That being said, I still got one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on January 31, 2020, 11:17:55 AM

You'd have to be crazy not get a flu shot.  That being said, I still got one.

:lol:

I wish we still had post of the month awards.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on January 31, 2020, 11:05:18 AM

Not that it does much good this year, since they forecast the wrong strain to inoculate against.

I suppose, though, that it would be a bad idea to get the flu when the hospitals are crammed with CV cases, so even a mostly useless precaution is probably worth it.

Jury is still out.  It was not well matched for the early flu season but is expected to be well matched for what is coming.

QuoteThe 2019-2020 flu shot was formulated to protect against strains of both influenza A and B. It's too soon to say exactly how effective the flu vaccine will be this year, Brammer says. Early indications suggest the vaccine is quite well-matched to circulating H1N1 and B Yamagata viruses— but much less so against the widespread influenza B Victoria viruses. That, too, may help explain the early-season diagnoses.

https://time.com/5765486/flu-season-2020/

Josquius

Newcastle has the honour of being first in the UK.
Champions! 🏆

I have had a bit of lurgy lately....
██████
██████
██████

viper37

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 30, 2020, 02:16:51 PM
Sixth case reported in France. A military plane set to evacuate French people from, you have guessed it, Wuhan.
https://www.france24.com/en/20200130-france-confirms-sixth-case-of-coronavirus-infection-health-official-says

Air France won't fly to China till February 9 at least.
https://www.france24.com/en/20200128-chinese-tourist-in-serious-condition-in-france-s-fourth-coronavirus-case

Portugal to evacuate some 17 Portuguese and other Europeans from Wuhan as well.

https://www.rtp.pt/noticias/mundo/dezassete-portugueses-retidos-em-wuhan-vao-ser-retirados-na-sexta-feira_n1201708
QuoteMilhares retidos em Wuhan

Milhares de estrangeiros estão retidos na cidade chinesa de Wuhan, onde a epidemia começou, e que está isolada há uma semana.

Thousands of foreigners have been stuck in Wuhan, city quarantined since a week.

Meanwhile, Canada is thinking about doing something.
Gotta love how our own very stable genius is managing international crisis. :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.