81 Deaths

2,827 Confirmed cases

5,794 Suspected cases

461 In critical condition

51 People recovered and discharged from hospital

Source: National Health Commission, as of end of 26 January, plus state media

Full article here:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51259649

My worry is time people are taking to recover, it could well 'break' their health service with the build up of cases.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 26, 2020, 09:13:47 PM
Quote from: KRonn on January 26, 2020, 09:06:06 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 26, 2020, 11:22:33 AM
Well a possible silver lining is it happened in an authoritarian state willing to take drastic action to curtain this virus.

I'm not sure the UKs response to this happening here would have been as dramatic? :unsure:

Right, China quarantined the city of Wuhan! The problem is though, that the virus had already spread or had origins in multiple place. I don't know if they yet have a good idea of the reason or where the virus started.

It started at the wildlife market in Wuhan. Probably a bat virus that leaped the species gap.

Viruses that spread from critters to humans are scary, since as we see they can be so virulent to humans. Another nasty example of spread by critters is the Ebola virus. I'm not really worried about it yet but a few people at my work place are talking and getting anxious about it.

alfred russel

A friend works on the CDC's twitter account and FAQ page for STDs (definitely no fat in the government) and I asked her to confirm my suspicion that this is all alarmism that will blow over in a few months, and she said "probably".

I also asked her to confirm that being in Atlanta with the busiest airport in the world and direct flights to china, we will be the first to succumb in the event this does wipe out America, and she said "probably". So for those inclined to be alarmed, as long as I'm posting you are safe. Probably.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Today for the first time I've seen someone on the street who was wearing a face mask and was not Asian.  At least the panic is getting real, hopefully the shit stays fake.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DGuller on January 27, 2020, 10:01:31 PM
Today for the first time I've seen someone on the street who was wearing a face mask and was not Asian.  At least the panic is getting real, hopefully the shit stays fake.

Case numbers have gone up around 50 to 60% every day for the last week.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Camerus

Apparently China has shut its stock markets until Monday to try and prevent a massive selloff.

jimmy olsen

That's a disturbingly low discharged number and disturbingly high ratio of serious and critical cases

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222019068418580480

Coronavirus update:
- 4,578 confirmed cases
- 106 fatalities
- 976 in serious/critical condition
- 60 treated and released
- Vast majority of cases in China
- 15 countries reporting cases

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: alfred russel on January 27, 2020, 09:57:04 PM
A friend works on the CDC's twitter account and FAQ page for STDs (definitely no fat in the government) and I asked her to confirm my suspicion that this is all alarmism that will blow over in a few months, and she said "probably".

I also asked her to confirm that being in Atlanta with the busiest airport in the world and direct flights to china, we will be the first to succumb in the event this does wipe out America, and she said "probably". So for those inclined to be alarmed, as long as I'm posting you are safe. Probably.

Chillax, the first registered cases in France are treated in a hospital in my arrondissement, on the far side OTOH, so I will keep you posted.
May not be the right time to go to the flea market near the hospital though.  :hmm:  :tinfoil:

Syt

Papers here say not to worry, saying that experts point out that it's less dangerous than the usual flu outbreaks. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on January 28, 2020, 01:49:39 AM
Papers here say not to worry, saying that experts point out that it's less dangerous than the usual flu outbreaks. :unsure:

The percentages definitely don't bear that out.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 28, 2020, 01:34:21 AM
May not be the right time to go to the flea market near the hospital though.  :hmm:  :tinfoil:
I think you'll be fine, it's the bats that carry the disease.

Iormlund

Couple of confirmed cases of human to human transmission outside China. One in Germany, one in Japan.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on January 28, 2020, 06:10:32 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on January 28, 2020, 01:34:21 AM
I think you'll be fine, it's the bats that carry the disease.

Maybe the fleas on the bats?  In any case, the chances of the flea market having fleas from Chinese bats is low.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

I am kind of resigned to the fact that an area like London won't be able to avoid some spreading of this. Too bad we'll be going through Gatwick in about a month.

I don't think I've ever had pneumonia, hopefully I am still young enough to survive it!

mongers

This is a bit worrying:

The latest case to be confirmed is in the German state of Bavaria, only the fourth so far in Europe.

It involves a man who contracted the virus at a training event from a visiting Chinese colleague who reportedly did not show symptoms until she returned to China days later

Also somewhat ironically Hong Kong all but cuts itself off from Mainland China:

Hong Kong has announced plans to slash cross-border travel between the city and mainland China as the new coronavirus continues to spread.

More than 100 people have now died in China, with confirmed infections surging to more than 4,500.

High-speed trains and ferries that cross the border will be suspended from Thursday, Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam announced. She wore a face mask.

Full item:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51279726
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"