Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 28, 2020, 10:00:05 PM
Nice knowing you, Katmai.
:rolleyes: The incubation period takes 10-14 days, it's a little premature to already say our goodbyes, don't you think?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on January 28, 2020, 10:04:22 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 28, 2020, 10:00:05 PM
Nice knowing you, Katmai.
:rolleyes: The incubation period takes 10-14 days, it's a little premature to already say our goodbyes, don't you think?

BF three weeks?

celedhring

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2020, 07:57:37 PM
This seems ominous

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222305807347396608
QuoteChina's National Health Commission will start releasing coronavirus updates twice a day at 8 a.m. and 3 p.m., according to state-run media. Until now there was only 1 national update a day.

Only up 25% in the last day instead of 50-60% like the last week, but the above tweet seems to imply they're struggling to count the full numbers. Yesterday they released the national numbers two hours late because of that.
QuoteUPDATE: Number of confirmed coronavirus cases worldwide surpasses 6,000, death toll rises to 132

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222313106895970306

Chinese people working at my uni are pretty convinced the Chinese gov is hiding the real #s.

mongers

This isn't good, they were infected in China and it's taken nearly two weeks for the sympton to become evident? At what point during that time did they become infectious?

Four Chinese citizens with coronavirus in UAE are tourists: official

The four members of a Chinese family who have been diagnosed in the United Arab Emirates with the new coronavirus were tourists who arrived from the Chinese city of Wuhan on Jan. 16, UAE health ministry official Hussein al-Rand told Reuters.

More here:
http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/INbuAZZXtNY/four-chinese-citizens-with-coronavirus-in-uae-are-tourists-official-idUSKBN1ZS1OY

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

World wide case numbers up from 6,000 to 7,800 today.

So, the last two days growth has been 25-30% instead of the 50-60% that it was every day the previous week. That's good and shows that China's quarantine measures are having some effect, but that still means the numbers will double every 3-4 days instead of every two.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1222671766012690432
QuoteChina's National Health Commission reports 12,167 suspected cases, an increase of 4,148 compared to yesterday. This is in addition to 7,711 confirmed cases in China.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
QuoteThere are currently 7,811 confirmed cases worldwide, including 170 fatalities.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Or it could be that nothing grows exponentially forever, exponential growth is usually just the very beginning of the S-shaped curve.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2020, 08:36:13 PM
Or it could be that nothing grows exponentially forever, exponential growth is usually just the very beginning of the S-shaped curve.

A fact equally true for a hypothetical virus that peters out after killing a few dozens, and a hypothetical virus that wipes it the entire population.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Maybe we* will get lucky and the draconian measures taken by the Chinese along with the increasing global co-operation will be enough to halt this new illness.

Seems like the 10 days or so will be crucial, if the number of cases stops growing at the end of week and it reaches it's peak as suggested by the Chinese health minister responsible, then maybe, just maybe it can be stopped in it's exponential tracks?

* All of us, together, you know humanity as a whole; yeah I know a weird idea in this era dominated by braying jackasses and the empty barrels of public opinion and petty nationalist political 'leadership'

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on January 29, 2020, 10:32:46 PM
* All of us, together, you know humanity as a whole; yeah I know a weird idea in this era dominated by braying jackasses and the empty barrels of public opinion and petty nationalist political 'leadership'

Eh, it'll be a few dozen scientists who save us. You and I will accomplish jack shit.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 29, 2020, 10:49:17 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 29, 2020, 10:32:46 PM

Eh, it'll be a few dozen scientists who save us. You and I will accomplish jack shit.

Reading comprehension fail?

mongers

More worryingly of the 200 japanese returnees landed yesterday, three have tested positive for the virus, not a good ratio.

Three Japanese who returned from Wuhan, China, on a government-chartered flight on Wednesday have been confirmed to be infected with the coronavirus, public broadcaster NHK reported on Thursday, citing the health ministry.

full item here:
http://feeds.reuters.com/~r/Reuters/worldNews/~3/BCJ2CLcGgus/three-japanese-returnees-from-wuhan-test-positive-for-coronavirus-nhk-idUSKBN1ZT02D