Coronavirus Sars-CoV-2/Covid-19 Megathread

Started by Syt, January 18, 2020, 09:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

FWIW, risk factors are just that, they're not certainties.  My dad has quite a few risk factors as well, and he prevailed in his bout with Covid, at that was back in April when doctors didn't know a whole lot.

crazy canuck

New rules some into effect for BC at 10pm today - mask wearing is essentially going to become mandatory in indoor spaces,  Employers are will need active COVID monitoring of employees, and a whole list of others.   Infection rates are spiking.

mongers

So is this human to mink and back again widespread transmission in Denmark a real cause for concern?

Because the UK is now quarantining all travellers from Denmark, even airline staff who'll not have spent much time on the ground at Copenhagen airport.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: mongers on November 07, 2020, 09:49:12 PM
So is this human to mink and back again widespread transmission in Denmark a real cause for concern?

it is a cause for concern, but is it widespread now??  Last I've seen on this, it wasn't widespread yet, but they were slaughtering the minks.  I Haven't read anything since earlier this week.  It seems medias had something else to be preoccupied with :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

From tomorrow Hungary is moving to stricter measures, bringing them roughly in line with Austria as I understand, as cases, hospitalisations, and deaths continue to increase. The ratio of positive tests is now up to 32%.

Josquius

Close down Chinese wet markets and European mink farms.
Lets hope for this outcome.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Pfizer says new vaccine tests show 90 per cent effectiveness.

It's over......bring out the balloons
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2020, 08:05:16 AM
90% effective doesn't sound too ossum.
It's enough and more than I think the UK scientists advising the government were talking about (they were making plans based on 70% effectiveness).

Edit: And if it holds - that's a similar effectiveness as the measles vaccine.

Interesting article on why the UK will continue to be a shitshow after a vaccine:
https://capx.co/a-vaccine-is-coming-but-the-uks-immunisation-plan-is-fatally-flawed/
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Austrian plan as far as I know is to focus on medical staff and at risk persons first, and then move on from there. They've been clear it's gonna take months to roll this out to everyone (provided there's enough supply).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 09, 2020, 08:07:25 AM
It's enough

Is that typical for vaccines?  1/10 chance it doesn't work doesn't seem like a sound basis to resume normal life.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2020, 08:22:01 AM
Is that typical for vaccines?  1/10 chance it doesn't work doesn't seem like a sound basis to resume normal life.
As I say - it's the effectiveness of the measles vaccine.

I think the key is whether this is a vaccine that just weakens symptoms or if it also reduces infection and transmission. If it's the latter 90% is more than enough to achieve (:o) herd immunity.

Of course I have no expertise or knowledge in this and am just spit-balling off things I read on the internet. So....
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Just hope that 1/10 doesn't work is simple as that and there's an utterly neglible amount of that 1/10 who see negative effects. I trust this has all been tested for of course and the vaccine purposefully made to minimise the critical failures over and above success rate.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

So we got rid of both Trump and Covid in the same week?*  :w00t:

*Yes I'm perfectly aware both will keep buggering us until 2021.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2020, 08:35:20 AM
So we got rid of both Trump and Covid in the same week?*  :w00t:

*Yes I'm perfectly aware both will keep buggering us until 2021.

It does feel like we've slipped into the good news timestream :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!