US-Iran War Has Begun! Iran launches dozens of ballistic missiles!

Started by jimmy olsen, January 02, 2020, 07:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Joan, am I right in thinking your argument is based on the yet untested War Powers Act?

Sheilbh

Just thinking back to Trump's Batman villain moment - are there rules on when US troops are allowed to disobey orders? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 14, 2020, 11:33:28 PM
Just thinking back to Trump's Batman villain moment - are there rules on when US troops are allowed to disobey orders? :mellow:

IIRC, you're not only allowed to, but required to disobey unlawful orders.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2020, 12:21:26 AM

Asking a soldier to shoot an unarmed civilian or execute a war prisoner is clearly an unlawful order and any soldier with more than two working brain cells would know that.

But if you're asked to target an ennemy officer whom you're told is plotting an imminent attack against the US, it ain't exactly clear you are following an unlawful order.  Or if you're sent abroad to invade a country to dismantle their non existent WMD program, it's not clear in the first place that there is no such program in place and the reason for the invasion might have been made up or clearly exagerated.  It's not like every soldier is trained as a lawyer either.  I doubt the White House ordered the hit by saying "look, he's a bad guy, he deserves to die, trust me on this, we'll figure out something later to make it look like it's legit".
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on January 15, 2020, 04:44:13 AM
I doubt the White House ordered the hit by saying "look, he's a bad guy, he deserves to die, trust me on this, we'll figure out something later to make it look like it's legit".

You really should know better by now. :P

The Minsky Moment

What makes this situation unique and different from the usual "let's bomb Libya" type of action that pretty much every President does, is that it was a targeted assassination of a foreign official. Assassinations are barred under US law unless otherwise specifically authorized.

We have gotten used to the idea of the US targeting individual jihadists for strikes.  However, so far those have involved al-Qaeda militants or jihadists associated with ISIL, which originated as an al-Qaeda branch.  Thus, the theory is that these strikes are covered by the 2001 AUMF authorizing force to be used against persons, organizations or states who planned, assisted, etc. the 9-11 attacks.  It is a stretch to apply that to ISIL but a fig leaf nonetheless.

Problem is that: (1) the AUMF can't be reasonably stretched to include Soleimani, (2) there is no other available justification under customary or international law or "emergency" authority.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on January 15, 2020, 04:44:13 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 15, 2020, 12:21:26 AM

Asking a soldier to shoot an unarmed civilian or execute a war prisoner is clearly an unlawful order and any soldier with more than two working brain cells would know that.

But if you're asked to target an ennemy officer whom you're told is plotting an imminent attack against the US, it ain't exactly clear you are following an unlawful order.  Or if you're sent abroad to invade a country to dismantle their non existent WMD program, it's not clear in the first place that there is no such program in place and the reason for the invasion might have been made up or clearly exagerated.  It's not like every soldier is trained as a lawyer either.  I doubt the White House ordered the hit by saying "look, he's a bad guy, he deserves to die, trust me on this, we'll figure out something later to make it look like it's legit".

Yes, IIRC in Sweden an order has to be obviously unlawful, merely unlawful isn't enough. My guess is that the US would have something similar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 15, 2020, 10:44:55 AM
What makes this situation unique and different from the usual "let's bomb Libya" type of action that pretty much every President does, is that it was a targeted assassination of a foreign official. Assassinations are barred under US law unless otherwise specifically authorized.

We have gotten used to the idea of the US targeting individual jihadists for strikes.  However, so far those have involved al-Qaeda militants or jihadists associated with ISIL, which originated as an al-Qaeda branch.  Thus, the theory is that these strikes are covered by the 2001 AUMF authorizing force to be used against persons, organizations or states who planned, assisted, etc. the 9-11 attacks.  It is a stretch to apply that to ISIL but a fig leaf nonetheless.

Problem is that: (1) the AUMF can't be reasonably stretched to include Soleimani, (2) there is no other available justification under customary or international law or "emergency" authority.

But the Quds Force is a designated terrorist organization (Hell even Canada recognizes it as such).  Which makes it somewhat unique as the only state agency designated as such, but also puts it more on par with AQ or ISIS.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2020, 11:22:57 AM
But the Quds Force is a designated terrorist organization (Hell even Canada recognizes it as such).  Which makes it somewhat unique as the only state agency designated as such, but also puts it more on par with AQ or ISIS.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.  The POTS doesn't gain the authority to assassinate anyone at will be simply by designating them as terrorists beforehand.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Correct (grumbler).  AUMF does not cover all terrorists orgs but only those that planned, assisted etc 9/11 attacks.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 15, 2020, 06:02:36 PM
Correct (grumbler).  AUMF does not cover all terrorists orgs but only those that planned, assisted etc 9/11 attacks.

ISIS had nothing to do with 9/11.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2020, 06:12:53 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 15, 2020, 06:02:36 PM

ISIS had nothing to do with 9/11.

ISIS used to be a branch of al-Qaeda.  So in 2014, Obama's lawyers argued that ISIS was an al-Qaeda successor entity and therefore covered by the AUMF.  It was a pretty questionable argument especially given that earlier in the year there was a very public split between ISIS leadership and what was left of al-Qaeda but it was at least a fig leaf of legality. Obama proposed a new ISIS specific AUMF draft in 2015 and a few proposals rattled around Congress but IIRC none of them passed. 

What's concerning about the Soleimani situation is that now the WH doesn't seems to think it even needs to bother with an explanation or to seek additional legal authority.  It's a step beyond Executive mandate stretching into total lack of interest in lawfulness.
--Joan Robinson

HisMajestyBOB

40 years from now US Presidents will use the 2001 AUMF to justify targeted assassinations of, say, Chinese warlords.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

alfred russel

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on January 15, 2020, 08:26:09 PM
40 years from now US Presidents will use the 2001 AUMF to justify targeted assassinations of, say, Chinese warlords.

If current US leadership trends continue, in 40 years we won't be in a position to target Chinese warlords, though the Chinese may be targeting warlords in the US.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014