News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Yeah, I'm not super familiar with the Dark Disciple stuff, except that she's supposed to die in it. But I guess books/comics are canon until they aren't.

Anyway, I always liked Ventress because even with the inevitable "popular baddie undergoes a redemption arc" Star Wars malaise, she didn't become a 100% good guy (girl), she became a small-time criminal that just wanted to be left alone.

Syt

Ok, three episodes of Bad Batch already make this season IMO better than Mando S3 (RIP Greef Karga :( ). The emotional engagement is better, the action is better, and the pacing seems better. (And of course Kevin Kiner's score keeps being excellent.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on January 10, 2024, 01:27:08 AMor Palpatine clone
He appeared in one comic book series only. Must have left an impression. :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on December 13, 2023, 03:14:14 AMI'm not sure how well liked they'd be from the Languish community as almost every POV character is a woman and there is a lot of discussion of wardrobe choices and development as well as just teen to adult girls being girls.
I don't mind POV characters being women. :)
But discussions about wardrobe choices...  I'll give it a pass.  :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on January 10, 2024, 04:59:56 AMWhy is it always fucking Tattooine. That planet should be forbidden.
I see you are a fan of Jakku.

Sophie Scholl

I decided to go back and finish Phase I of The High Republic while I'm still in a Star Wars focus. I nabbed 7 different comics/YA books/books from the library and plan to add a few more when I finish these. The diversity in style and presentation is really great.  :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on February 21, 2024, 12:44:29 PMOk, three episodes of Bad Batch already make this season IMO better than Mando S3 (RIP Greef Karga :( ). The emotional engagement is better, the action is better, and the pacing seems better. (And of course Kevin Kiner's score keeps being excellent.)

Only seen Ep 1, but quite impressed.  Ep 2 tonight with my boys.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Watched the first 3 with the son. I do wonder when did Star Wars became a universe about cloning.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 26, 2024, 01:37:42 PMWatched the first 3 with the son. I do wonder when did Star Wars became a universe about cloning.

It's a story about a bunch of clones who escaped the Empire's control.  Plus Omega is our macguffin clone that drives the story in part.

Other stories, set at other times, have little to nothing to do with cloning.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 26, 2024, 01:46:55 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 26, 2024, 01:37:42 PMWatched the first 3 with the son. I do wonder when did Star Wars became a universe about cloning.

It's a story about a bunch of clones who escaped the Empire's control.  Plus Omega is our macguffin clone that drives the story in part.

Other stories, set at other times, have little to nothing to do with cloning.

Everything the emperor, therefore the Empire, does is about cloning. Darth Sidious entire deal is about strand casting himself into immortality building on the works of Darth Plagueis.

HVC

At least GF will be happy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Until Yoda shows up at least.

I am concern that the show might be too violent for me to watch it my 11 year old.

Sophie Scholl

I'm so excited for this! I absolutely *love* The High Republic and this will have a few carryover characters from that series in it. Also, the distance from the usual movie characters and organizations, minus the Republic, is always fun. There is a lot more room for surprises, fun, and shedding light on new things in the galaxy.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

I'm a simple person. Star Wars with wuxia gets my stamp of approval.

Habbaku

I'm out the moment they introduce the Juke Skywalker character and mention a prophecy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien