News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 17, 2023, 04:02:27 AMIs Ahsoka the first time we got actual live action clone troopers in an action scene? I'm not rewatching Revenge of the Sith to clear it up :D
You need to watch the last part of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith to clear it up, yes.

I'm busy right now.  It seems I have missed parts of The Last Kingdom when it aired...

Ok, I'll be nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZnL4mcU5dg

Parts of the fighting scenes seem live action, but most of it look CGI.

Order 66 seem mostly live action in RotS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa9gRCSFptQ
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on November 17, 2023, 04:49:41 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 17, 2023, 02:19:07 AMIf you think Phantom Menace's computer effects aged badly, don't watch Attack of the Clones... 

The kid will be watching the rest of the prequels alone... They truly deeply suck.

I will join back in when we jump to episode 7 after 3. Perhaps I can finally watch 8 and 9.

Ep 7 is a fun nostalgia-fest.

Ep-8 is deeply divisive in the Star Wars community.  I think it's one of the best - others deeply disagree.

Ep09 is worse than any of the prequels.  Come fight me.

HVC

7 is inoffensive. 8 sucks. 9 makes 8 look like a cinematic and story telling masterpiece.

The prequels are better than the sequels. Woe to you in watching them if your dislike the prequels.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

According to Wookieepedia:

QuoteThe Prequel trilogy clone troopers were created through computer-generated imagery. In Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones, the school-aged clones were played by Daniel Logan, the young adult versions by Bodie Taylor, and the mature versions by Temuera Morrison.[3]

For Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, Morrison wore a blue bodysuit to play troopers Cody, Odd Ball, and Jag. The suit was later digitally replaced with computer-generated clone armor.

I think the first live action clone armor would be the begging veteran in Obi-Wan. I'm not sure the ones in one of the Andor flashbacks were cgi? Ahsoka was definitely the first time we saw them in live action in combat using real people/armor
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Relive some Mythbusters shenanigans with this Adam Savage video with the creator of the first live action Clone Armor utilized in a series (Obi and Andor).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XafNCiLgmTs&ab_channel=AdamSavage%E2%80%99sTested
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Watched Star Wars (aka episode 4) with out exchange student today.  She'd never seen it before.

Damn - that movie still slaps 40+ years later.  You can't get a more perfect action/adventure movie.

Sophie Scholl

What did she think of it? Do you plan on continuing with the other originals?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on November 19, 2023, 01:47:49 AMWatched Star Wars (aka episode 4) with out exchange student today.  She'd never seen it before.

Damn - that movie still slaps 40+ years later.  You can't get a more perfect action/adventure movie.

The Death Star trench run is still a fantastic action scene 40 years later imho.

Josquius

Quote from: HVC on November 17, 2023, 11:53:19 PM7 is inoffensive. 8 sucks. 9 makes 8 look like a cinematic and story telling masterpiece.

The prequels are better than the sequels. Woe to you in watching them if your dislike the prequels.

7 is decent. Though basically 3/4 a remake of the first film.
8 on its own merits is... Soso. A small scale  bottle episode of a film. But as episode 8 it's ridiculous. It totally trashes what 7 setup and leaves 9 an impossible task to finish up.
9...it was a difficult to make film. But very forgettable. I deduce possibly the poorest of the 3 though much of this was 8s fault.

The prequels are weird. I found them poor and only enjoyable in their relation to the originals.
Though speaking to people a decade or more younger than me for whom the prequels have always been things that existed, some of them only know star wars as the prequels... And some like it nonetheless.
The new films are stuck between being a complete reboot for a new generation and still winking at the dad's and being something for established fans. Which leads to not really suceding at either.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Looking at listed apartments in Vienna and checking the surroundings of some of them. Ran into the "Anton-Krieger-Gasse", named after a village mayor from the early 1900s when that area wasn't part of Vienna yet.

Thought, "that name rings a bell, but don't know why." Googled it. One of the top results:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Anto_Kreegyr

:lol: :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

The Star Wars Visions shorts are absolutely amazing. I'm almost through the second season and really, really hope there is a third (and many more) to come!

Barrister

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on November 19, 2023, 07:28:47 AMWhat did she think of it? Do you plan on continuing with the other originals?

She liked it, and proceeded to watch Empire right after.

viper37

Star Wars Undertakes Universe-Shaking Changes After Ahsoka

QuoteDave Filoni has a new mission in the Star Wars universe after guiding Rosario Dawson's Force-wielding hero to distant celestial realms in the first season of Ahsoka. The writer-producer-director, who started out working alongside George Lucas on the animated Clone Wars show nearly two decades ago, has ascended to a new position at Lucasfilm—one that will give him input into all the galactic storytelling going forward.

"Now I'm what's called chief creative officer of Lucasfilm," Filoni tells Vanity Fair, which places him into the development process much earlier and in a much more expansive capacity than his previous advisory duties. "In the past, in a lot of projects I would be brought into it, I would see it after it had already developed a good ways."
Filoni will now work more directly with Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and alongside Carrie Beck, a veteran producer turned head of development, to originate and shepherd the next generation of Star Wars shows and movies. After spending many years involved in the creation of Star Wars animation, including the Rebels series, he became increasingly involved in live-action as a producer with Jon Favreau on the The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett. "In this new role, it's opened up to basically everything that's going on," Filoni says. "When we're planning the future of what we're doing now, I'm involved at the inception phase."
[...]

Might not be a bad move.  I think Filoni is like Lucas, good at the big picture, not so good at the details of the story.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Kathleen Kennedy being edged out the door?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.