News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 22, 2023, 05:41:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on November 22, 2023, 11:03:17 AMHow were the sequels supposed to be woke?

FunkMonk has been making a number of witty tongue in cheek comments in a number of threads over the last while.
The sequels weren't woke by any means, but if you do search from the usual suspects, you will find complaints that they were, for the reasons BB cited: a non white male lead and the inclusion of poc in the movies.

Actress Kelly Marie Tran was subject to verbal abuse online by so called SW fans.

And more about the controversies of the manbabies.

I'm not a fan of the sequels, but it has nothing to do the gender or color of the characters.  And I don't care about Kathleen Kennedy, I just thought the South Park video was funny because of the obsession some people have with her as if she somehow ruined SW.  Bad storytelling in Hollywood was hardly invented by this lady.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Yeah the whole business has been ruined. She's only a part of it.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sophie Scholl

I finished the Queen's trilogy (Shadow, Peril, and Hope) by E.K. Johnston about Padmé and to a slightly lesser extent all of her Handmaidens with a focus on Sabé. I absolutely *loved* all of them. I am now excited about watching the Prequels again. I *never* thought that would happen, yet here we are! I'm not sure how well liked they'd be from the Languish community as almost every POV character is a woman and there is a lot of discussion of wardrobe choices and development as well as just teen to adult girls being girls. It really clicked with what I was looking for, though. If you have any women friends/significant others or daughters who would be interested, I definitely recommend them! Also, I really do not care for Anakin. At all.  :lol:

I plan on reading Master & Apprentice by Claudia Gray about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan and then starting my re-watch. Having already read the Leia book and one of the Rogue One prequels, and Twilight Company, I think I should be good to go with I, II, Clone Wars, III, Rebels, Andor, Rogue One, IV, V, VI. After that, I'll try to read the Aftermath and Alphabet Squadron books and see if they can get me excited for the sequels. We shall see...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Season 2 of Ahsoka now confirmed. Didn't think the first one was great, but didn't hate it either.

Also *another* movie announcement - a Mandalorian & Grogu vehicle directed by Favreau.  :sleep:  - that grogu merch won't move itself!

Even Star Wars Explained is cynical about the whole thing :D

Habbaku

They're both gonna be awful and I'm going to watch them anyway. I hate it.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 09, 2024, 04:21:09 PMSeason 2 of Ahsoka now confirmed. Didn't think the first one was great, but didn't hate it either.

Also *another* movie announcement - a Mandalorian & Grogu vehicle directed by Favreau.  :sleep:  - that grogu merch won't move itself!

Even Star Wars Explained is cynical about the whole thing :D

mmm'kay. :mellow:

First two seasons of Mandalorian were awesome.

But then you had to go watch the Boba Fett series, which we didn't finish.

Then started Season 3 of Mandalorian, which felt confusing (because we hadn't watched Boba Fett), and stopped watching that as well.  Plus the story seemed to well concluded after season 2, it was hard to tell why we were back to step 1.

I'm sure it's quite possible to tell an amazing Mandalorian and Grogu story.  I'm just not confident they can pull it off.

Although if I were looking to put the best spin on this... John Favreau as director?  He has a pretty decent record as a director.  A little movie called Elf, plus Iron Man (and Iron Man 2), plus Chef?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Habbaku on January 09, 2024, 04:35:00 PMThey're both gonna be awful and I'm going to watch them anyway. I hate it.

I blame you personally for this loop.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I'm looking forward to Ahsoka. Meh about Mando. Loved seasons 1&2, and 3 had its moments, but ultimately seemed too "fast" in how it resolved its conflicts. "Here's a big potential conflict!" - "Never mind, all good." Meh.

I wish they'd do more "new", like really new stuff instead of filling it all possible blanks for characters. Sure, a character like Mando or Ahsoka were new at soe point, but they'll get inevitably dragged into the "big story" all the time.

Give me a story about a plucky smuggler staying one step ahead of the law. Give me more Andor. Give me something about a Jedi 1000 years ago (or into th future) who just goes from planet to planet solving problems. (Tbf, I was already getting tired of all the Mandalorian stories in Clone Wars and Rebels by the end, even if those stories were great.)

There's this huge playground of a galaxy, and it keeps going back to the old and familiar. I've said it before - my favorite old EU books were Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace, because it focused on different characters and backstories as opposed to yet another story about Luke & Co. fighting another Imperial Warlord, or Palpatine clone, or rogue Force user of some kind.

I guess that's why so many fans have glommed onto the High Republic content, because with it being set 200 years before Phantom Menace it provides a blank slate, blank canvas, etc. (kind of like the Tales of the Sith/Jedi comics did in the 90s by going back 5000 and 4000 years, same with the KotOR games that were - very loosely - based on the same setting).

Will I watch the new stuff? Sure. And I will probably have some fun with it. But I wish they could finally wave some of the "main" characers good bye, or at least "re-invent" them in a way that Star Trek seems to manage a lot better.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

QuoteThere's this huge playground of a galaxy, and it keeps going back to the old and familiar. I've said it before - my favorite old EU books were Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace, because it focused on different characters and backstories as opposed to yet another story about Luke & Co. fighting another Imperial Warlord, or Palpatine clone, or rogue Force user of some kind.
Yes.
Why is it always fucking Tattooine. That planet should be forbidden.

I've still yet to see Bobba Fett, Ashoka, or Mando series 3. Too much bad buzz.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

I still haven't watched any of the shows outside of like... 1 or 2 episodes of Mando when it released. I'm getting there, though! I'm still on my Star Wars hyper fixation with some SWTOR playing, book and comic reading, and soon the long awaited rewatch/watching of movies and shows!

I agree that the main characters and era are waaaaay too heavily used. I've thought that since the Thrawn Trilogy.  :lol:  Apparently a big issue now is that the comics and other events being put out are all in-between Empire and Jedi which is only like a 9 month span. Not ideal. Especially when there is sooooo much else out there in terms of characters, eras, and concepts. They really need to start exploring that. Especially the post-Jedi and sequel trilogy era. It seems so barren to me and really in need of love and coherence. High Republic's final phase is kicking off and I still need to finish the first! Ugh! One day!  :sleep:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

We cancelled our Disney+ subscription after Ashoka. There's just no content worth watching and certainly not worth paying for.

celedhring

I just watched the trailer for the 3rd season of Bad Batch, and I see that Ventress is featured in it. Now I'll have to take up the show again...

I didn't watch the second season past the first few episodes - didn't hate it, didn't love it, it kinda got lost in the shuffle of so many things to check out.

Tamas

Quote from: Barrister on November 22, 2023, 11:05:32 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 22, 2023, 11:03:17 AMHow were the sequels supposed to be woke?

Too many women and POC.

No, really.  I believe that's it.  There was no white male protagonist.

Yeah, as if the sequels were not bad enough on their own, there's this incel QQ-ing to poison things as well.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2024, 05:34:44 AMI just watched the trailer for the 3rd season of Bad Batch, and I see that Ventress is featured in it. Now I'll have to take up the show again...

I didn't watch the second season past the first few episodes - didn't hate it, didn't love it, it kinda got lost in the shuffle of so many things to check out.
Apparently it builds on her development in Dark Disciple, a newer book that features her and Quinlan Vos.

Syt

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on January 23, 2024, 11:10:12 AM
Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2024, 05:34:44 AMI just watched the trailer for the 3rd season of Bad Batch, and I see that Ventress is featured in it. Now I'll have to take up the show again...

Apparently it builds on her development in Dark Disciple, a newer book that features her and Quinlan Vos.

That Dark Disciple story was a canceled Clone Wars arc IIRC. The first half of S2 of Bad Batch was a bit all over the place. The second half picked up a fair bit IMO. That said, I don't mind stand-alone episodes. YMMV.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.