Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2022, 05:37:02 PM
Quote from: ulmont on February 09, 2022, 05:01:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2022, 04:29:48 PM
My daughter being stillborn was not stressful.

However, when I as a gay man noticed I was attracted to my brother but told myself to get a grip, that was stress inducing. :hmm:

Isn't a lot of what is stressful, neutral, or relaxing driven by your specific characters virtues and vices?

Presumably my honest, arrogant ruler would have been stressed by the death of his children? Similarly, not sure why that would have led him to be stressed out not to commit incest.

No clue - none of the attributes seem to 100% match that.  https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Attributes#Stress

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2022, 04:58:59 AM
I don't know yet how to feel about it. Overall the game feels better but largely the same, so if you didn't like it before definitely don't buy the DLC expecting it will make you like it.

The new court titles and the court mechanics in terms of upgrading your court seem like a fairly nice money sink (something the game badly needed, just like in case of CK2), however I am not sure there's a practical need for it in terms of having to have a good court to keep your realm together. It might be, or it might just be fluff. I am still finding that the key for managing a large realm just as with CK2, is to sit on a large pile of money, don't spend it. You can usually manage vassal loyalty regardless, and if you can't, the mercenaries your gold pile buys will take care of any revolts.

Put all your money into buildings that improve your man at arms. That will make you able to destroy armies three time your size without calling up levies.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2022, 06:13:38 AM
This thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/my-patch-1-5-review.1509797/

While overstates some issues (in particular, his jab at the stress system is unwarranted, it's probably the single most significant positive change compared to CK2), he highlights the money issue I mentioned: it's pointless to try and build up your economy, when you get far better income from random events.
That's not true. If you have control of two duchies and build them up you can easily pull in a hundred a month.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 10, 2022, 03:17:27 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2022, 06:13:38 AM
This thread: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/my-patch-1-5-review.1509797/

While overstates some issues (in particular, his jab at the stress system is unwarranted, it's probably the single most significant positive change compared to CK2), he highlights the money issue I mentioned: it's pointless to try and build up your economy, when you get far better income from random events.
That's not true. If you have control of two duchies and build them up you can easily pull in a hundred a month.

Two duchies that's what 6 provinces? A single building no upgrades gives you what 0.3 gold per month? So for roughly 6*100 golds you get 1.8 per month, let's account for more building slots (although far from all buildings provide income) and raise these to 1000 golds and 3 gold per month from the two duchies. Then you can increase that further with building level upgrades assuming you get the techs over the centuries. But on that level, you have a ROI of what, 334 months? Meanwhile, 1000 in the treasury means you can conquer with much better confidence and take much bigger risk than with a sub-300 golds treasury, since if you miscalcuate you don't have to worry about your depleted manpower or exposed backyard - you can hire mercenaries. Not to mention the various events which may have a negative outcome if you don't have 50-150 gold at hand at any given moment.

Now compare this to what feels like a 50 gold average you can possibly get from events, events of which can be now made even more frequent with the addition of the court. There is one in particular (not a court event, but I think its a new one) which to be fair I am sure will be patched, where if you choose NOT to build a wall you are being asked for GIVES you 50 gold.

Don't get me wrong I am enjoying the game, and for the character-focused RPG/strategy hybrid gameplay it is unique for, the patch and DLC are good improvements. But the economic side feels like a total afterthought.

garbon

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/my-patch-1-5-review.1509797/page-4

QuoteI receive a new suffragan bishop. He despises me because he is Normans and Normans hate Saxons. We have a mutual acceptance of 15% due to sharing a religion and a faith, but no other factors influence it and it improves by 0.00 every month. His beef with me appears to boil down to "Well I've never met a Saxon, so I must not like you, and you are therefore not entitled to your church taxes." I press the sway button so that he'll give me my money (not that it actually matters - we're talking about penny shavings compared to mayor-murder money).

I could instead attempt to appease him by devoting years to my life to learning his language, but swaying him will take mere months and will make him like me for the rest of his or my life, whichever ends sooner. I would also have only a 29% chance to learn his language, because I need to be taught by my suffragan bishop, which is him, and he's not that smart.

It turns out to be a moot point because I am notified the next month that he has left my court. No explanation is given as to why, obviously. My best guess is that his brother has been elected mayor in Southern Italy.

I receive another new Suffragan Bishop. This one is French. He also despises me, as all suffragan bishops do. French also gains 0.00 cultural acceptance per month, but this time it's because of a complex calculation. You see, French and Saxon benefit by 0.12 from "intermingling in realm", however, this is reduced by 25% due to Saxon cultural traditions (and to think I claimed that cultural traditions don't matter!). This gives +0.08, which is then balanced out exactly by a -0.08 for "decay towards baseline".

QuoteI declare war on my remaining brother, because he has 47 troops to his name. He is my friend, but I incur no stress from attacking him. Stress continues to really do a great job of encouraging me to roleplay my character.

I do however, receive 34 stress from an event because Hildebold is my rival and is "always present", despite living in Dortmund several counties away. I will grant that I had previously complained that friends and rivals don't come up at all, so this is a refreshing change. I also notice that the count of Dortmund is another Adamite.

Fortunately, I then immediately lose 40 stress due to the "comfort of a friend", from my brother Sigward, who I am at war with. We had a nice evening drinking wine and talking about our problems. I continue to be proven wrong about friendships and rivalries. He is wearing a jester's costume because our liege has appointed him court jester, so that does actually make me pretty happy.

One of the things I love most about CK3 is how immersive the events are. They really make the world feel alive, by telling a coherent story that ties together important plot points from across the game. It would really suck if they were completely random and out of context.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Well it's CK. "My daughter-wife is a horse!"
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on February 10, 2022, 04:57:37 AM
Well it's CK. "My daughter-wife is a horse!"

IDK what your problem is. With 1.5, I am only getting every second generation's siblings having sex with each other, which is a marked improvement.

garbon

I noticed languages (as a person without the dlc) are a bit of strange chrome as they only slightly mitigate how much someone of a foreign culture dislikes you. Sway seems likes a much better option as that poster mentioned.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 10, 2022, 07:08:03 AM
I noticed languages (as a person without the dlc) are a bit of strange chrome as they only slightly mitigate how much someone of a foreign culture dislikes you. Sway seems likes a much better option as that poster mentioned.

Yeah I suspect it may be an actual Paradox policy to depend on modders to implement "braver"/more radical effects for many of the simulation-y features they introduce, to cater for the players looking for that, and they focus on creating a sandbox for people who want to enact their RPG/ethnic cleansing fantasies.

Sheilbh

It'd be nice if it was more courty/culturey. So direction of travel shaped if, say, court language is different than popular - or you have a Sicily with multiple languages and that had an impact on culture.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

I opened a bunch of browser tabs this morning but didn't get round to reading them. When  I returned to browsing I saw this post without realising what thread it was. I got very, very confused  :lol:

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on February 10, 2022, 08:27:04 AM

I opened a bunch of browser tabs this morning but didn't get round to reading them. When  I returned to browsing I saw this post without realising what thread it was. I got very, very confused  :lol:

:lmfao: :blush:

Tamas

Had a proper game over situation playing 1066 ironman Georgia, despite a lot of successes just had a guy who couldn't hold a title to save his life, that was coupled with not enough gold to keep mercenaries. Run out of counties mid-1200s. It was fun.

Maladict

I've held off on buying CK3, is this a good time to get it? In terms of playability and balance I mean, not cost.

garbon

I think the war AI has gotten worse with 1.5 and hopefully they'll come up with a patch fix.