And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2022, 09:32:23 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2022, 09:19:09 AM
Have they fixed where you could ricochet into madness if a  few family members or friends died in same year? That wasn't such a great part of stress system.

I am fairly certain that's only an issue if you have the relevant trait making you care for that,in whux case I don't think is an issue, as you are offered coli coping mechanisms like alcoholism which would reduce your stress on the short term.

That feels a bit different than 'the single most significant positive change since CK2.' ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

As someone who still thinks the biggest problem with the Civ games is the lack of palace design since Civ II, I know I'm going to get this and love it :blush:

Also I hope the culture thing works because it makes sense to me - I always get annoyed when Anglo-Saxons become English because it's a certain date even though they've not been invaded by the French for example.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 09, 2022, 10:53:25 AM
Also I hope the culture thing works because it makes sense to me - I always get annoyed when Anglo-Saxons become English because it's a certain date even though they've not been invaded by the French for example.

I don't believe that is how it works. I know with the decision to be English you have to be the King of England (based in England) and have Frankish culture. I don't know that there is even a date attached.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2022, 10:11:08 AM
Have they fixed where you could ricochet into madness if a  few family members or friends died in same year? That wasn't such a great part of stress system.

I am fairly certain that's only an issue if you have the relevant trait making you care for that,in whux case I don't think is an issue, as you are offered coli coping mechanisms like alcoholism which would reduce your stress on the short term.

That feels a bit different than 'the single most significant positive change since CK2.' ;)

First of all what I meant is that issue is a non-issue. :P

More importantly however the stress system is great because it gives consequence (however little most of the time) to event choices especially when it comes to raising your wards. Back in CK2 these events around children's behaviour were ridiculous: "hmm, do I chose the clearly sub-optimal event choice, or I go with the best one, when there's no other cost to me choosing the best one?"

In CK3, often choosing to deal with some child's issue to remove a negative trait means adding stress for yourself which is often fine but not always worth the hit.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2022, 11:00:24 AM
I don't believe that is how it works. I know with the decision to be English you have to be the King of England (based in England) and have Frankish culture. I don't know that there is even a date attached.
Maybe there's a decision too but I've definitely played and seen an event saying English culture has arrived (and loads of people seem to convert very quickly) when I've been playing as Wessex and united England.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

I don't know... I was fighting a typical massive war against a crusade called against me in England and suddenly I went from having just turned it around and about to win to dead from stress. Turns out some random stack of allies got beaten somewhere and it included some relatives.

Put me off CK3 for a bit, it just seemed arbitrary.

Jacob

Quote from: Tamas on February 09, 2022, 11:22:03 AM
First of all what I meant is that issue is a non-issue. :P

More importantly however the stress system is great because it gives consequence (however little most of the time) to event choices especially when it comes to raising your wards. Back in CK2 these events around children's behaviour were ridiculous: "hmm, do I chose the clearly sub-optimal event choice, or I go with the best one, when there's no other cost to me choosing the best one?"

In CK3, often choosing to deal with some child's issue to remove a negative trait means adding stress for yourself which is often fine but not always worth the hit.

I don't think it's a non-issue, but I agree that the stress mechanic in general is good. It's just the "you're dead from stress in the middle of a big war that you're winning" thing is annoying.

Jacob

Anyways, I prepaid for the update as well so I fired up the game to try it out... and realized, I'm still not into CK anymore :(

CK2 was my favourite game and I've put thousands of hours into it. CK3 is, I'm confident, a better game... but I just can't seem to be bothered. Sad :(

Tamas

One bloody annoying thing: when I am max-speeding, my character gets a new level in their skill tree like all the time. It's just relentless. Look new skill point! Look new skill point! Look new skill point! Look new skill point! And I am not even doing anything. And they give substantial bonuses, so it's so bloody silly.

garbon

I think I'm going to try out a character in West Africa for my 2nd ever playthough in CK3.

garbon

My daughter being stillborn was not stressful.

However, when I as a gay man noticed I was attracted to my brother but told myself to get a grip, that was stress inducing. :hmm:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

ulmont

Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2022, 04:29:48 PM

However, when I as a gay man noticed I was attracted to my brother but told myself to get a grip, that was stress inducing. :hmm:

Isn't a lot of what is stressful, neutral, or relaxing driven by your specific characters virtues and vices?

garbon

Quote from: ulmont on February 09, 2022, 05:01:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 09, 2022, 04:29:48 PM

Isn't a lot of what is stressful, neutral, or relaxing driven by your specific characters virtues and vices?

Presumably my honest, arrogant ruler would have been stressed by the death of his children? Similarly, not sure why that would have led him to be stressed out not to commit incest.

Tamas

The stress icon tooltip or the event itself (can't remember) will tell you why you are getting stressed.