And we're back!

Main Menu

Nel cammin del mezzo di nostra vita

Started by Maladict, July 26, 2019, 03:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 08, 2020, 03:57:54 PM
Quote from: Maladict on August 08, 2020, 03:46:45 AM
In fact, I prefer a hotel with restaurant, so I don't have to put in anymore effort if I don't feel like it. :blush:

That's the historical way, anyways.

Yes, that's what I meant. ^_^

Maladict

End of day 1 and I'm a mess. Pouring rain most of the day, walked in swamped boots the whole time. My feet are a blister factory. Also, the terrain was a fair bit rougher than expected, lots of clambering over rocks and such. Did I mention my pack is too heavy?

This is going well  :sleep:

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on September 05, 2020, 11:17:52 AM
End of day 1 and I'm a mess. Pouring rain most of the day, walked in swamped boots the whole time. My feet are a blister factory. Also, the terrain was a fair bit rougher than expected, lots of clambering over rocks and such. Did I mention my pack is too heavy?

:cool:

Don't worry in decades to come, you'll look these travails as necessary elements in an epic adventure.  :D

Also rather cool of you to be doing this during the current crisis/uncertainty. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

Quote from: Maladict on September 05, 2020, 11:17:52 AM

May Day 2 fare better.  :hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Liep

The beauty of staying at hotels on hiking or cycling trips is that bar extreme circumstances you know your clothes will be dry in the morning.

Also, I'll be vicariously vacationing through you. Looking forward to hearing how day 2 went!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Thanks guys.

Day 2 got me a second away from my worst nightmare. I'm highly allergic to wasp stings so my fear is being stung while in a remote area, especially when alone. So I'm walking in a remote area and drink from my camelbak. I put the nozzle in my mouth not realising there's a wasp on it, probably drinking the moisture. I feel something soft against my tongue, maybe bits of leaves or flower or something, and spit it out. When I see the, somewhat shaken up, wasp on the ground I'm suddenly able to cover a distance at great speed.
I had a bad first day but dying on the second would have been a waste of all that effort.

Valmy

Man I hate the unexpected bee or wasp in your mouth thing. I got bit by one of them inside my lips and had a fat lip for days, not to mention the shock of suddenly realizing I drank a stinging bug  :lol:

I applaud your courage doing this trip with that kind of allergy  :ph34r: stay safe.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Yeah well that's why I had planned to go in May. I really hate being out this time of year, can't wait until they all die in a few weeks. On the upside, not a single mosquito so far.

merithyn

Maladict

Quote from: merithyn on September 08, 2020, 10:23:34 PM
Do you travel with an epi pen?

Yes. Had it replaced just in time as it had expired  :blush:

Maladict

Marched* across the Roman Bridge into Trier and declared a minor victory. Limited war aims have been achieved.
Days 3 and 4 were surprisingly decent going but today was bad. Based on the state of my legs tomorrow I'll decide whether to continue or not.
Today's lesson: 40-45km and 900m elevation gain is fun once, not twice.

*limped

merithyn

Quote from: Maladict on September 09, 2020, 01:05:23 PM
Marched* across the Roman Bridge into Trier and declared a minor victory. Limited war aims have been achieved.
Days 3 and 4 were surprisingly decent going but today was bad. Based on the state of my legs tomorrow I'll decide whether to continue or not.
Today's lesson: 40-45km and 900m elevation gain is fun once, not twice.

*limped

:pinch:

Maladict

So, it is done. I had very nearly given up three days ago, but I made it to Metz.
Roughly 330 km in 8 days, it's the hardest thing I've ever done.
I'll write up some more later, but first: sleep.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Very impressive. 8 days is a long stretch isn't it? Is the lack of rest days because of time restriction or a choice?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk