News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nel cammin del mezzo di nostra vita

Started by Maladict, July 26, 2019, 03:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Split from pedrito's Compostella thread.

It would appear my midlife crisis may take the shape of a walk to the land of Dante.

Maladict

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2019, 02:33:54 AM
And what's up with the meta-theme of the trip?

Are you doing a reverse "Spanish Road?"  :nerd: :nerd:

I used to live in Venice for a short while, it's a special place for me. And I get to string together a lot of regions I'm unfamiliar with and always wanted to visit. Huertgen forest, the Ardennes, the Moselle valley, the Vosges and Alsace mountains, the Black Forest and of course some Alpine passes.

The dream (tm) is to go on to Rome, and then follow the Via Appia to Brindisi, cross over to Albania and follow the Via Egnatia to Constantinople.
Incidentally mirroring my literary hero Patrick Leigh Fermor's 1930s walk from the Hook of Holland to Constantinople, albeit by a completely different route.

But five years to reach Venice is enough of a challenge for now.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on July 26, 2019, 03:26:39 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2019, 02:33:54 AM
And what's up with the meta-theme of the trip?

Are you doing a reverse "Spanish Road?"  :nerd: :nerd:

I used to live in Venice for a short while, it's a special place for me. And I get to string together a lot of regions I'm unfamiliar with and always wanted to visit. Huertgen forest, the Ardennes, the Moselle valley, the Vosges and Alsace mountains, the Black Forest and of course some Alpine passes.

The dream (tm) is to go on to Rome, and then follow the Via Appia to Brindisi, cross over to Albania and follow the Via Egnatia to Constantinople.
Incidentally mirroring my literary hero Patrick Leigh Fermor's 1930s walk from the Hook of Holland to Constantinople, albeit by a completely different route.

But five years to reach Venice is enough of a challenge for now.

:cool:

Beautiful idea, Mal.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Pedrito

hey Mal,

if you need a fellow in wanderlust, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to share some roads with you.
About italian hiking trails, I can suggest the guides by Terre di Mezzo, that mainly focuses on the old pilgrim ways - via Francigena, Spanish caminos, etc. -, whose guides are rather well done, full of useful info, maps and addresses: https://www.terre.it/categoria-prodotto/collane/percorsi/

If you want to cross the Alps and like some mountain hiking, the Alta Via n. 1 is by far the most scenic high way of the entire range. It crosses the Dolomites from val Pusteria (Toblach) to Belluno, is very well served with different refuges and huts, is NOT an alpine trail (no need of via ferrata or climbing equipment) and you'll walk along some really wonderful mountains.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on July 26, 2019, 10:39:12 AM
hey Mal,

if you need a fellow in wanderlust, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to share some roads with you.
About italian hiking trails, I can suggest the guides by Terre di Mezzo, that mainly focuses on the old pilgrim ways - via Francigena, Spanish caminos, etc. -, whose guides are rather well done, full of useful info, maps and addresses: https://www.terre.it/categoria-prodotto/collane/percorsi/

If you want to cross the Alps and like some mountain hiking, the Alta Via n. 1 is by far the most scenic high way of the entire range. It crosses the Dolomites from val Pusteria (Toblach) to Belluno, is very well served with different refuges and huts, is NOT an alpine trail (no need of via ferrata or climbing equipment) and you'll walk along some really wonderful mountains.

L.

Well, as it turns out Belluno is the end point of Year 4 ( provisional), so that is definitely going to be looked into  :cool: 

Padova also made the cut in Year 5. The very last day will be spent walking down the Brenta to Fusina where I'll take a boat into Venice, like Goethe did. So I guess I'll see you in 2024   :)

Maladict

merithyn

You guys are giving me so many ideas for later trips.... I may spend my retirement years walking around the world. :wub:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maladict

First 40km of the year last Sunday, through woods, heath, grasslands, the star fortress of Naarden and Muiden castle.

Not as impressive from the ground, but still pretty cool.

merithyn

Beautiful.

I'm thinking that I need to include at least some serious walking on my upcoming trip. Mallorca was always going to be mostly walking as there really isn't a lot else to do there in the winter. Barcelona will include hiking up to Montejuic (sp?). Now I have to come up with something similar in the other cities. :hmm:

Maladict

Walk the Appian Way in Rome, from the Quintilian villa all the way into the city centre. It's only about 10k, but a ton of stuff to see and mostly free of cars. Or double the distance and start in Castel Gandolfo.

merithyn

Quote from: Maladict on July 30, 2019, 01:40:42 PM
Walk the Appian Way in Rome, from the Quintilian villa all the way into the city centre. It's only about 10k, but a ton of stuff to see and mostly free of cars. Or double the distance and start in Castel Gandolfo.

:w00t:

*adds to planning document

The Larch

Quote from: merithyn on July 30, 2019, 01:26:35 PM
Beautiful.

I'm thinking that I need to include at least some serious walking on my upcoming trip. Mallorca was always going to be mostly walking as there really isn't a lot else to do there in the winter. Barcelona will include hiking up to Montejuic (sp?). Now I have to come up with something similar in the other cities. :hmm:

Montjuic is not really a hike, as it's within Barcelona itself, more like a long walking day in the city.

Concur about the Via Appia, it's basically a huge open air archeological museum. If the weather is nice and you want to walk or bike, it's the place to go in Rome.

Maladict

Quote from: The Larch on July 30, 2019, 02:59:02 PM

Concur about the Via Appia, it's basically a huge open air archeological museum. If the weather is nice and you want to walk or bike, it's the place to go in Rome.

There's a nasty stretch between the Quo Vadis church and the city walls with heavy traffic and no sidewalk. Don't let it put you off (but don't get run over), inside the walls the goodness continues.