News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nel cammin del mezzo di nostra vita

Started by Maladict, July 26, 2019, 03:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on July 30, 2019, 01:40:42 PM
Walk the Appian Way in Rome, from the Quintilian villa all the way into the city centre. It's only about 10k, but a ton of stuff to see and mostly free of cars. Or double the distance and start in Castel Gandolfo.

That sounds like an awesome idea.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2019, 03:13:00 PM

Not many people realize, but Ciampino airport is very close to the Via Appia. If you're traveling light (or have someone take your luggage from the airport) it's the perfect entrance into Rome. Walk out of the terminal and within 10 minutes there's nothing but Roman cobbles and pine trees.

Valmy

You should walk the Appian Way as Appius Claudius intended: in full armor from Rome to Capua. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Quote from: Maladict on July 30, 2019, 03:22:44 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2019, 03:13:00 PM

Not many people realize, but Ciampino airport is very close to the Via Appia. If you're traveling light (or have someone take your luggage from the airport) it's the perfect entrance into Rome. Walk out of the terminal and within 10 minutes there's nothing but Roman cobbles and pine trees.

Alas, flights from Vienna go to Leonardo Da Vinci airport.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Maladict

Quote from: Syt on July 30, 2019, 03:41:28 PM

Yeah, you do have to fly Ryanair or a similarly depressing airline, which puts a bit of a damper on the whole thing.

The Larch

Quote from: Maladict on July 30, 2019, 03:49:07 PM

Yeah, you do have to fly Ryanair or a similarly depressing airline, which puts a bit of a damper on the whole thing.

In fact only Ryanair and Wizzair fly there nowadays.

Syt, you can go from Bratislava.  :P

merithyn

Quote from: Maladict on July 30, 2019, 03:49:07 PM

I'll likely be flying out of there, then, as I'm flying from Rome to London via RyanAir. ^_^
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Pedrito

Mal, nice hike last Sunday.
Are you aiming for 30-40 kms daily, as an average hike? Will it give you time to stop and visit interesting places?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on August 03, 2019, 05:35:59 AM
Mal, nice hike last Sunday.
Are you aiming for 30-40 kms daily, as an average hike? Will it give you time to stop and visit interesting places?

L.

I would prefer 40-45km on legs without significant elevation gains. That said I have very little experience walking in hilly or mountainous areas.
I left 6.30 and ended around 15.00, with a one hour lunch break. That would leave a couple of hours for sightseeing. But some places will need more than that, or even a full rest day.

I'm expecting increasing slowdown due to interesting sights as I move south.

Maladict

Quote from: Valmy on July 30, 2019, 03:40:35 PM
You should walk the Appian Way as Appius Claudius intended: in full armor from Rome to Capua. :P

I'm too old  :P

Maladict

Walked into Germany today, first of three days of walking (44-48-42 km)

It's weird how borders are still a psychological barrier. Before crossing the landscape had already starting feeling less like home, with hills appearing and the clay soil turning to chalk, then rock. The houses start to look German, many metal shutters, some painted walls, the occasional stone house.
But then, the moment you cross the border, there's a slight feeling of caution, of being in unfamiliar territory far from home. It's very odd.
Tomorrow, Hürtgen Forest awaits  :cool:

Maladict

Bloody hell, 50k in this kind of terrain is pushing it. Not sure if I can manage another day of punishment.

merithyn

Quote from: Maladict on September 17, 2019, 01:06:35 PM
Bloody hell, 50k in this kind of terrain is pushing it. Not sure if I can manage another day of punishment.

How'd it go today?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Maladict

Quote from: merithyn on September 18, 2019, 10:53:29 AM
Quote from: Maladict on September 17, 2019, 01:06:35 PM

How'd it go today?

I took a paracetamol and powered through the whole thing without a break  :)

Waiting for a train to take me home, rail traffic around Cologne is hellish, as usual.