News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Best climate

Started by Grinning_Colossus, May 23, 2019, 12:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these inscrutable combinations of letters represents your ideal climate?

Af
0 (0%)
Am
0 (0%)
Aw/As
1 (4%)
BWh
0 (0%)
BWk
0 (0%)
BSh
1 (4%)
BSk
0 (0%)
Csa
0 (0%)
Csb
6 (24%)
Csc
0 (0%)
Cwa
0 (0%)
Cwb
0 (0%)
Cwc
0 (0%)
Cfa
3 (12%)
Cfb
10 (40%)
Cfc
0 (0%)
Dsa
0 (0%)
Dsb
0 (0%)
Dsc
2 (8%)
Dsd
0 (0%)
Dwa
0 (0%)
Dwb
0 (0%)
Dwc
0 (0%)
Dwd
0 (0%)
Dfa
1 (4%)
Dfb
1 (4%)
Dfc
0 (0%)
Dfd
0 (0%)
ET
0 (0%)
EF
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Caliga

Quote from: KRonn on May 23, 2019, 06:46:22 PM
I voted cfb as that's what I have where I am so accustomed to it, but also would vote secondly, or even preferably, for csa or csb for warmer and less humid in the summer. A Mediterranean climate seems a more comfortable year round climate. Hmm, maybe I should move. :)
Did you move to the Vineyard or the Cape KRonn?  I thought suburban Boston was solidly humid continental? 
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2019, 07:32:50 PM
I voted cfb as that's what I have where I am so accustomed to it, but also would vote secondly, or even preferably, for csa or csb for warmer and less humid in the summer. A Mediterranean climate seems a more comfortable year round climate. Hmm, maybe I should move. :)
Did you move to the Vineyard or the Cape KRonn?  I thought suburban Boston was solidly humid continental?

That may be the weather type and summer here has its humid days, but we also have many warm, drier days.  Last summer though was very humid over long stretches, but that's not really the usual. Usually we get one to a few days of heavy humidity then it changes to cooler/drier.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2019, 03:29:11 PM
Come to Toronto, where you can get the best of both worlds - way too hot in summer, way too cold in winter.

Perfect balance!  :D

Actually I would be alright with that. I like pronounced seasons. You do have a Fall and a Spring right? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Central Coast California, Csb with foggy mornings and warm sunny afternoons is ideal for me.  Things stay green (other than open grasslands) because of the fog (lots of redwoods in the coastal mountains), it warms up most days, and it never gets too cold (but it does cool down every night).  Also, outside of rainy winter, it is not too humid.

Other than the fact that every other idiot wants to live here, and most of those are making way too much money in Silicon Valley, it is ideal for me.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on May 23, 2019, 08:21:39 PM
Central Coast California, Csb with foggy mornings and warm sunny afternoons is ideal for me.  Things stay green (other than open grasslands) because of the fog (lots of redwoods in the coastal mountains), it warms up most days, and it never gets too cold (but it does cool down every night).  Also, outside of rainy winter, it is not too humid.

Other than the fact that every other idiot wants to live here, and most of those are making way too much money in Silicon Valley, it is ideal for me.

:cool:

Yeah it's always other people who cause the problems.  :P

'Embrace the solitude'.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2019, 08:07:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 23, 2019, 03:29:11 PM
Come to Toronto, where you can get the best of both worlds - way too hot in summer, way too cold in winter.

Perfect balance!  :D

Actually I would be alright with that. I like pronounced seasons. You do have a Fall and a Spring right? :hmm:

We do - and they are the best seasons here, weather-wise. Fall is truly spectacular in southern Ontario (tourists come just to see the foliage colours), and spring is lovely. Only, they are short!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Springs going all the way to the end of may, if not further, this year ha
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on May 24, 2019, 08:54:08 AM

That's because winter refused to leave!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 23, 2019, 08:07:42 PM
I like pronounced seasons. You do have a Fall and a Spring right? :hmm:
we also have pronounced seasons in Quebec.  There's winter, almost winter, something not really winter, close to winter.   :)

Every year or so, we alternate between very hot summers and extremely cold&rainy summers. That is so pronounced!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

One thing I learned from the climate map descriptions: apparently Toronto sits in its own little climate zone bubble, one classification warmer than the surrounding bits of southern Ontario. You can actually see the difference if you drive north toward Barrie in the winter.

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on May 24, 2019, 09:09:38 AM

True. And at least his year the island didn't flood as much
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on May 24, 2019, 09:41:49 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 24, 2019, 09:09:38 AM

True. And at least his year the island didn't flood as much

Apparently, it's bad ...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/flooding-toronto-island-1.5147890

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on May 24, 2019, 09:31:01 AM
One thing I learned from the climate map descriptions: apparently Toronto sits in its own little climate zone bubble, one classification warmer than the surrounding bits of southern Ontario. You can actually see the difference if you drive north toward Barrie in the winter.

I went up to Barrie from Toronto in 1997. I don't recall any climate change, but I did have some terrible coffee there.

viper37

Quote from: KRonn on May 23, 2019, 07:44:36 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 23, 2019, 07:32:50 PM

That may be the weather type and summer here has its humid days, but we also have many warm, drier days.  Last summer though was very humid over long stretches, but that's not really the usual. Usually we get one to a few days of heavy humidity then it changes to cooler/drier.
For having visited once in the spring, I thought Boston had a lovely climate.  I think I could get used to live there, if I had to move to a city.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

The New England fall is amazing. I love it. The only problem is everybody who lives there is really gloomy because they know what is coming: the Red Sox offseason...er....winter.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."