News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How close do you live to your home town?

Started by Savonarola, April 11, 2019, 03:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on April 11, 2019, 03:14:43 PM
I was watching Netflix's presentation of Bruce Springsteen's one man Broadway show; in which he describes how eager he was to get out of Asbury Park, NJ when he was young and how he now lives all of ten minutes away.  (Born to Run; just not very far.)  I was curious how Languish rated.

Here's an air miles calculator

My home town is Grand Rapids, Michigan; it's 1055 Miles / 1698 Km / 917 Nautical Miles to Melbourne, Florida.

Roughly 11,000 km as the bird flies. That's 6835 miles
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Rounding error.  Let's have a spelling bee to break the tie.

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on April 14, 2019, 10:44:10 AM
Quote from: mongers on April 13, 2019, 08:30:01 PM
The Sunday Times 2019 best place to live in Britain has been announced:
If I lived in Britain I think I'd like to live in Ventnor or the Scilly Isles. :hmm:

:D

Very good.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

saskganesh

1400 miles across the Canadian Shield.  In Europe that would be from London to Smolensk.
humans were created in their own image

Richard Hakluyt

Currently 125 miles. Looking back on places that I have lived the maximum would be 6759 miles (Newcastle to Singapore); very similar to the other high figures. If we had a former Brit who was now a Kiwi they would win it; probably a not uncommon type either.

Admiral Yi

If we count all places lived I can stretch to 6,960/11,200, DC to Seoul.

This game means so much to me.  :cry:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2019, 01:32:03 AM
Currently 125 miles. Looking back on places that I have lived the maximum would be 6759 miles (Newcastle to Singapore); very similar to the other high figures. If we had a former Brit who was now a Kiwi they would win it; probably a not uncommon type either.

Doesn't Bogh live in NZ?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 16, 2019, 02:12:36 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 16, 2019, 01:32:03 AM

Doesn't Bogh live in NZ?

Unless he moved back. Lets hope he doesn't pay a ninja visit here and claim the crown...........Yi would be crushed  :o

celedhring

Wait, Hayklut is a geordie? Now that I didn't expect.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on April 17, 2019, 12:05:16 PM
Wait, Hayklut is a geordie? Now that I didn't expect.

Please do keep up, said a couple of years ago he's Tyr's 2nd cousin.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien