News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How close do you live to your home town?

Started by Savonarola, April 11, 2019, 03:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I was watching Netflix's presentation of Bruce Springsteen's one man Broadway show; in which he describes how eager he was to get out of Asbury Park, NJ when he was young and how he now lives all of ten minutes away.  (Born to Run; just not very far.)  I was curious how Languish rated.

Here's an air miles calculator

My home town is Grand Rapids, Michigan; it's 1055 Miles / 1698 Km / 917 Nautical Miles to Melbourne, Florida.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

I live in my hometown, so I stand to bring down the Languish average considerably.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

740 miles / 1190 km

At my further, I was 1638 miles / 2636 km (Whitehorse, obviously)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maladict

About 75km, down from about 200km a few years ago.
Mind you, that's as far away as possible without leaving the country.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

ulmont

I had to use Google Earth as there's no airport within 30 miles of my home town, but using that it's 366.3 air miles from the house I grew up in (south of Albany, Georgia) to my current house (New Orleans, Louisiana).

derspiess

2.5 hours / 148 miles.  In some ways it feels close, but in other ways far away.  I was eager to move away when I was 20.  No regrets about being raised there, but I'm glad I left when I did.  Depresses me whenever I go back and visit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

6451 miles / 10382 kilometers

I figure I'll be hard to beat.

Barrister

I Kind of miss my home town (Winnipeg).  I left 19 years ago, I married a local girl, and my family has mostly moved out here by now, so there's no chance I'm moving back, but even after 8 years in Edmonton I don't feel the same kind of connection to this city.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2019, 03:39:29 PM
6451 miles / 10382 kilometers

I figure I'll be hard to beat.

I figure that's some place in South Korea.  How long did you live there?  I would have thought that you'd consider some place in Iowa your home town, even if not born there.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2019, 03:41:31 PM
I figure that's some place in South Korea.  How long did you live there?  I would have thought that you'd consider some place in Iowa your home town, even if not born there.

About 19 years.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 11, 2019, 03:47:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2019, 03:41:31 PM

About 19 years.

:blink:

It's been 16 years on Languish, and now I feel like I don't know you at all.

I thought you didn't even speak much Korean.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on April 11, 2019, 03:21:09 PM
I live in my hometown, so I stand to bring down the Languish average considerably.

I moved from Bathurst and Eglington to Bloor and Royal York.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius