Jussie Smollett: prosecutors drop charges against actor accused of fabricating

Started by garbon, March 26, 2019, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2019, 09:17:28 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2019, 08:22:00 PM
I could see Hannity or that skinny bald freak in the White House using it.

I think this might be the first time someone called Sarah Sanders a "skinny bald freak".

Stephen Miller. (Not sure if you were joking or not)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 27, 2019, 12:06:27 AM
Raz is inscrutable.

Here's one to exercise your noodle on:  Rich people don't face legal consequences as often as ordinary people do, and when the rich escape punishment ordinary people often cheer it on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Richard Hakluyt

I don't really see this as a victimless crime. People who suffer from future hate crimes my well face a higher bar to get their accounts believed because of this.

In fact I think it is a particularly serious crime and would go for a very severe sentence if i had had the misfortune to be a Chicago prosecutor.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2019, 04:13:05 PM
This reeks of prosecutorial corruption.

Maybe.  Or maybe he/she just thought there were more important cases to solve with the limited resources at their disposal?  Or it could be that the evidence gathered was circumstantial, hard to really convince a jury it was a premeditated setup to increase his value on the show?  Maybe the 16 counts were there not to secure a conviction but to scare him into a confession/plea bargain instead of a trial?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2019, 10:30:41 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 26, 2019, 04:13:05 PM
This reeks of prosecutorial corruption.

Maybe.  Or maybe he/she just thought there were more important cases to solve with the limited resources at their disposal?  Or it could be that the evidence gathered was circonstancial, hard to really convince a jury it was a premeditated setup to increase his value on the show?  Maybe the 16 counts were there not to secure a conviction but to scare him into a confession/plea bargain instead of a trial?

The evidence, as I understand it, was overwhelming. I mean, the cops caught the two dudes he hired to fake the attack, and they confessed. I dunno if they have to prove why he staged it, only that he did.

The prosecutors claim that they let him off the hook in part because he's done "community service". I don't know if it is even possible to do community service in advance of committing a crime, and have that count (can I collect garbage for a month, and have that entitle me to one free false report to the police?  :D ). Nor, from what I read, is there any actual evidence of "community service" performed. 

It sounds more like 'this guy is a famous actor, he's too important or has too many connections to prosecute'.

That he has important connections is not in doubt - the previous prosecutor had to take herself off the case when it was revealed she was in direct communication with his family, trying to influence the investigation against him.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2019, 10:46:57 AM
That he has important connections is not in doubt - the previous prosecutor had to take herself off the case when it was revealed she was in direct communication with his family, trying to influence the investigation against him.

Didn't she recuse herself, but then step back in?  I think she's the same one that dropped the charges.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 27, 2019, 10:46:57 AM
The evidence, as I understand it, was overwhelming. I mean, the cops caught the two dudes he hired to fake the attack, and they confessed. I dunno if they have to prove why he staged it, only that he did.

The prosecutors claim that they let him off the hook in part because he's done "community service". I don't know if it is even possible to do community service in advance of committing a crime, and have that count (can I collect garbage for a month, and have that entitle me to one free false report to the police?  :D ). Nor, from what I read, is there any actual evidence of "community service" performed. 

It sounds more like 'this guy is a famous actor, he's too important or has too many connections to prosecute'.

I don't know.  I do read a lot about "financial ties to George Sorros", and whenever I read a "Jewish conspiracy", I tend to be very, very skeptical of corruption accusations.  I know it wasn't what you said, but it's a popular theory in Republican circles right now.

But I haven't followed the case in all its details, it was a boring story to begin with.  People get mugged everyday in big cities.  "Famous" actor (I would dispute that, since I know nothing of the dude, but then again, I ain't too familiar with actors&actresses of minor tv series).

What I do know is that in many cases, crown prosecutors or district attorneys will seek out a plea bargain rather than risk a full trial and an acquittal.  The guy has money, he can afford a bunch of pretty good lawyers, drag this on indefinately, get the case tossed out on a technicality, etc.

Without any hard evidence there was corruption, I'm inclined to believe in prosecutorial lazyness (i.e. "This is not worth my time, I have murder cases to prosecute") or incompetence in not correctly evaluating the evidences at hand.  It is entirely possible the witnesses aren't believed to be credible once on the witness stand, maybe they have priors in other things that would come up, etc, etc.

Anyway.  I do not care a lot, guilty, not guilty, prison, no prison, bah.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2019, 01:11:49 PM

I don't know.  I do read a lot about "financial ties to George Sorros", and whenever I read a "Jewish conspiracy", I tend to be very, very skeptical of corruption accusations.  I know it wasn't what you said, but it's a popular theory in Republican circles right now.

But I haven't followed the case in all its details, it was a boring story to begin with.  People get mugged everyday in big cities.  "Famous" actor (I would dispute that, since I know nothing of the dude, but then again, I ain't too familiar with actors&actresses of minor tv series).

What I do know is that in many cases, crown prosecutors or district attorneys will seek out a plea bargain rather than risk a full trial and an acquittal.  The guy has money, he can afford a bunch of pretty good lawyers, drag this on indefinately, get the case tossed out on a technicality, etc.

Without any hard evidence there was corruption, I'm inclined to believe in prosecutorial lazyness (i.e. "This is not worth my time, I have murder cases to prosecute") or incompetence in not correctly evaluating the evidences at hand.  It is entirely possible the witnesses aren't believed to be credible once on the witness stand, maybe they have priors in other things that would come up, etc, etc.

Anyway.  I do not care a lot, guilty, not guilty, prison, no prison, bah.

The allegation wasn't that he was mugged, it was that he was the victim of a deliberate hate crime. That's what makes it egregious - it was apparently an attempt to stir up racial hatred, for some sort of personal reasons. This is all kinds of bad - if it was successful, it could lead to all sorts of unpleasant social impact; its failure casts doubt on other claims of racial attacks, to the benefit of violent racists everywhere.

The failure to prosecute sends the message that those who are connected are above the law. Or alternately, that making false claims about serious crimes isn't a big deal.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Zoupa

Quote from: Camerus on March 26, 2019, 09:14:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2019, 02:06:20 PM
I agree that the underlying crime was victimless and all, but I would have liked to have seen a lying to police charge stick.

I disagree that it was victimless. It was a false accusation that was deleterious to the social fabric of the nation.  Not to mention a waste of police resources.

This has not been a great week for the left.

What does "the left" have to do with this development exactly  :huh:

FunkMonk

I'm assuming this guy is both a) going to get his role back on his show, and b) going to get paid more cash moneys.

All in all, a job well done. I'm actually not mad, just impressed. And disappointed in myself.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 27, 2019, 01:38:14 PM
I'm assuming this guy is both a) going to get his role back on his show, and b) going to get paid more cash moneys.

All in all, a job well done. I'm actually not mad, just impressed. And disappointed in myself.

That a fact? Well that does kind of change my views on this. I thought the initial deal was some kind of guilty plea and the understanding his career as a public figure was over.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Why would it have a significant impact on his career? In the acting world convicted criminals get hired all the time. 
Women want me. Men want to be with me.