Jussie Smollett: prosecutors drop charges against actor accused of fabricating

Started by garbon, March 26, 2019, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

This reeks of prosecutorial corruption.

The mayor of Chicago (certainly not someone who has never seen corruption before.  :D ) is strongly hinting there was a corrupt deal here - and it seems likely.

The head prosecutor had to recuse herself because she was caught in a conflict. Now her replacement has dropped the case. And the judge has sealed the court records.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/26/jussie-smollettt-plea-bargain-charges-dropped-dismissed/

QuoteState's Attorney Kim Foxx's office says, "After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case."
We're told the State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, told Chicago police she was dropping the case because Jussie would have only gotten community service if convicted and she said he has already performed community service so there is no point in prosecuting him. We could not find any record of Smollett doing community service.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

FunkMonk

So is the guy still insisting he is the victim of a horribly disgusting hate crime?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on March 26, 2019, 04:23:46 PM
So is the guy still insisting he is the victim of a horribly disgusting hate crime?

Speaking to reporters outside the courtroom, Smollett maintained his innocence.

"I've been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one," he said. "I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of one drop of what I've been accused of."

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/michaelblackmon/jussie-smollett-charges-dropped
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2019, 05:51:30 PM
Wonder if Jussie is still blaming "fear mongrels" (his words).

Maybe he's blaming the Deep State.  That seems to work these days.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2019, 06:09:54 PM

Is there ever a second you're not thinking about Trump?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2019, 06:16:03 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 26, 2019, 06:09:54 PM

Is there ever a second you're not thinking about Trump?

I didn't mention Trump.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Admiral Yi

I could see Hannity or that skinny bald freak in the White House using it.

Camerus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2019, 02:06:20 PM
I agree that the underlying crime was victimless and all, but I would have liked to have seen a lying to police charge stick.

I disagree that it was victimless. It was a false accusation that was deleterious to the social fabric of the nation.  Not to mention a waste of police resources.

This has not been a great week for the left.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 26, 2019, 08:22:00 PM
I could see Hannity or that skinny bald freak in the White House using it.

I think this might be the first time someone called Sarah Sanders a "skinny bald freak".