Jussie Smollett: prosecutors drop charges against actor accused of fabricating

Started by garbon, March 26, 2019, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

:huh:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/26/jussie-smollett-charges-dropped-latest-news-maga-attack-lies-accusations-empire-actor

QuoteProsecutors agreed Tuesday to drop criminal charges against Empire actor Jussie Smollett for faking a hate crime attack in Chicago.

Smollett was charged with 16 counts of felony disorderly conduct for allegedly hiring two men to stage the racist, homophobic attack against him in downtown Chicago earlier this year.

Smollett spoke out after the surprise development in a case that has generated more questions than answers.

"I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since day one. I would not be my mother's son if I was capable of one drop of what I've been accused of," Smollett said Tuesday.

"This has been an incredibly difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my entire life," he said. But I am a man of faith, and I am a man that has knowledge of my history, and I would not bring my family, our lives or the movement through a fire like this. I just wouldn't."

Smollett, who is gay and black, said he was walking home from a sandwich shop in downtown Chicago around 2am on 29 January when two men approached him, shouting racist and homophobic slurs, beat him up, poured bleach on him and looped a rope around his neck.

He claimed the attackers said, "This is Maga country," referring to Donald Trump's "Make America Great Again" election campaign slogan.

Chicago police said he faked the attack because he was unhappy about his salary and wanted to drum up publicity to help his career, accusing him of taking advantage of the pain and anger of racism to promote himself.

Smollett has maintained his innocence and pleaded not guilty to the charges.

A judge agreed at a brief court hearing on Tuesday to prosecutors' request to dismiss the charges, the Chicago Tribune reported, and ordered the case file sealed.

"After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet's volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case," the Cook County state's attorney's office said in statement to the paper.

Smollett agreed to forfeit the $10,000 he has paid on a $100,000 bond, said his lawyer Patricia Brown Holmes.

"It was the correct result in this case. We're very happy for this result, and we are very anxious for Jussie to get on with his career and his life," she said.

Many questions remain unanswered about the incident. Police have said Smollett paid two brothers $3,500 to stage the attack. Smollett's lawyers said the payment was for nutrition and personal training services.

Chicago police did not immediately comment, but a source told the Chicago Sun Times superintendent Eddie Johnson was "furious" and maintained the evidence against Smollett was "rock solid".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

The Times is reporting that he had to forfeit his bond to obtain the deal.  Based on that it sounds like the prosecutors decided it was not worth prosecuting and took the bond money as compensation for the unnecessary expense of responding to the allegations he had been assaulted.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2019, 01:17:43 PM
:lol:  Gotta love Chicago. 

Hope he finds the real assailants.

Um...this response makes no sense. Chicago is not saying that he was innocent or that there are real assailants out there. This seems like a perfectly good way to save government time and money. So what is funny about it? What do you think should have happened?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2019, 01:28:02 PM

Um...this response makes no sense. Chicago is not saying that he was innocent or that there are real assailants out there. This seems like a perfectly good way to save government time and money. So what is funny about it? What do you think should have happened?

Seems like pay enough money and you get away free.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 26, 2019, 01:33:00 PM

Sure but it was a victimless crime right? So spend lots of state money and what would have been the possible likely result?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Chicago is not saying that he was innocent or that there are real assailants out there.
no, no, we live in the Post Trump era now.  As long as you don't go to prison, you are totally innocent.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2019, 01:35:54 PM

Sure but it was a victimless crime right? So spend lots of state money and what would have been the possible likely result?
The likely result would have been a fine, probably to close to the amount of money he forfeited with his bond.  So yeah, good call here.

Admiral Yi

I agree that the underlying crime was victimless and all, but I would have liked to have seen a lying to police charge stick.

derspiess

I guess I should be happy about this.  Sorry :(

I mean, he only wasted 1000 police man hours and 40 detectives were pulled off other cases to investigate his case.  Hoaxes like this also make it more difficult for actual victims.  Prosecuting his case might help discourage others from such hoaxes.  But yeah, let's break out the party hats and confetti because Chicago saved some time & money by letting him go.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2019, 01:40:11 PM
The likely result would have been a fine, probably to close to the amount of money he forfeited with his bond.  So yeah, good call here.

It was 16 felony counts. 

Edit: from what I googled, each one could have been worth 1-3 years in prison and up to $3000 fine.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on March 26, 2019, 02:06:35 PM

I guess I should be happy about this.  Sorry :(

I mean, he only wasted 1000 police man hours and 40 detectives were pulled off other cases to investigate his case.  Hoaxes like this also make it more difficult for actual victims.  Prosecuting his case might help discourage others from such hoaxes.  But yeah, let's break out the party hats and confetti because Chicago saved some time & money by letting him go.
Oddly enough, what D said.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on March 26, 2019, 01:35:54 PM

People are going on about how Chicago PD* is corrupt and tried to frame him. Gotta love twitter

*I mean its true, but in this case Jussie still did it
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi