News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

About those peaceful antifa protests...

Started by viper37, August 20, 2017, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

garbon

Well it sure is interesting how Berk has turned my post into meaning that white people should always big ignored on matters of race.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2017, 01:41:02 AM
Well it sure is interesting how Berk has turned my post into meaning that white people should always big ignored on matters of race.

A near-perfect strawman argument.  Thanks for the example.  I can use this in my classroom.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 31, 2017, 05:41:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2017, 01:41:02 AM

A near-perfect strawman argument.  Thanks for the example.  I can use this in my classroom.

Well it was in response to this wildly off the mark mischaracterization:

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2017, 09:04:41 PM
Garbon told us that we should ignore Del's position because he is a white person, and that was not a joke, or a troll, or a snarky response. It was a completely serious response to a serious discussion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2017, 06:15:47 AM
Well it was in response to this wildly off the mark mischaracterization:

Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2017, 09:04:41 PM
Garbon told us that we should ignore Del's position because he is a white person, and that was not a joke, or a troll, or a snarky response. It was a completely serious response to a serious discussion.

If Berkut's interpretation of "white whine" as your sole response to a lengthy Del post was not what you intended, you communicated your more complex point poorly.  Perhaps two words (one of them racist) isn't enough?  If Berkut was "wildly off the mark," you have only yourself to blame.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Not really. After all, he's the one who decided to decide on a flawed interpretation and then post at length about it. Can't really blame myself for the time and energy he decided to expend.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jacob on August 30, 2017, 05:49:27 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 30, 2017, 05:30:33 PM
What is more interesting than me calling him out on comments that are clearly racist, is that you give him a complete pass on it. It isn't even worthy of comment from you that he accused someone of having views determined by their race.

On this:

Given the amount of racist trolling and just-having-a-laugh posting that happens on languish when CdM, derspiess, Ed, and others get into their various schticks, I do not rate garbon's "*white whine*" as particularly noteworthy, no. Off-handed trolling dismissals of viewpoints you disagree with - or viewpoints you agree with but which suggest an opening - are pretty par for the course here IMO, including ones that are implicitly or explicitly racist.

Then again, you getting your knickers in a twist over something fairly trivial and going all "Berkut Indignation Level: Throbbing Purple" is par for the course too, but personally I don't find it particularly interesting.

About time my greatness is acknowledged.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2017, 07:20:43 AM
Not really. After all, he's the one who decided to decide on a flawed interpretation and then post at length about it. Can't really blame myself for the time and energy he decided to expend.

True.  But you are to blame for sounding exactly like a racist, no matter how much or little time Berkut expended pointing it out.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on August 31, 2017, 07:31:00 AM

True.  But you are to blame for sounding exactly like a racist, no matter how much or little time Berkut expended pointing it out.

People are free to draw the wrong conclusions.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on August 31, 2017, 07:37:42 AM
People are free to draw the wrong conclusions.

And you are free to remain in denial. 

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2017, 08:15:10 AM
Who's Del?

Delirium who posted on this race stuff in another thread I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Razgovory on August 31, 2017, 08:15:10 AM
Who's Del?

The guy garbon racially abused. what happened to your languish encyclopedia? I thought you kept all this stuff documented :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on August 31, 2017, 07:31:00 AM

Context matters.  This wasn't garbon's first post on this forum, a little latitude in the interpretation is called for when it runs counter to all prior positing history. 

Berkut's very first first reply, when he decided to go "THAT'S RACIST!!!  :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :angry: :angry: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :ultra: :angry: :angry:" instead of "this really did not come off well, did you really mean it that way" made it all about him from that point on.

Eddie Teach

Garbon has been oppressing us for 14 years, about time it got recognized.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?