What percentage of books you own are by white authors?

Started by Savonarola, August 18, 2017, 02:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I can understand some of the hostility to these questions.  It can feel like people are trying to call you racist and nobody likes being called racist.  Except Derspeiss.  I doubt Grumbler was brought up racist, hell I doubt he even knew that people had different skin colors before the Akkadians showed up.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2017, 01:51:30 PM
I doubt he even knew that people had different skin colors before the Akkadians showed up.

Damn frogs.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2017, 01:37:58 PM
Possibly, but I don't think so. I think what we're seeing is a shift from "race is a social construct, so we should act like it means nothing" to "race is a social construct, and we should acknowledge and respond to the impact it has."

What impact does race have? Not racism, but race itself?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2017, 11:38:27 AM
The "color-blind" point of view used to be considered progressive, but now many are considering it racist.  Could the same be happening to the "race is a social construct" point of view?

Possibly, but I don't think so. I think what we're seeing is a shift from "race is a social construct, so we should act like it means nothing" to "race is a social construct, and we should acknowledge and respond to the impact it has."

I can see that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2017, 02:14:16 PM

What do you mean?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 21, 2017, 02:24:58 PM
Quote from: grumbler on August 21, 2017, 02:14:16 PM

What do you mean?

Just smile and back away
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grinning_Colossus

What is race without racism? If race is socially constructed, then the idea falls apart if there's no reason to distinguish between races. And if the 'races' are equal--both in nature and in society--then there's no reason to do so.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2017, 01:58:46 PM
:huh:

He missed a crucial part. You enjoy being called racist by CDM because that's how he shows he cares.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2017, 11:38:27 AM
The "color-blind" point of view used to be considered progressive, but now many are considering it racist.  Could the same be happening to the "race is a social construct" point of view?

I think what we're seeing is Whitey just wishing these negroes would stop their crying already.

Jacob

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 21, 2017, 02:42:28 PM
What is race without racism? If race is socially constructed, then the idea falls apart if there's no reason to distinguish between races. And if the 'races' are equal--both in nature and in society--then there's no reason to do so.

That assumes that "socially constructed" = "meaningless" or "irrelevant" which is a bit of a jump.

dps

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2017, 12:35:16 PM
Sorry, I thought you were actually interested in a discussion not a Socratic dialogue. My apologies. -_-

It's too bad, because it could have been an interesting discussion.  But that's grumbler for you.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on August 21, 2017, 02:42:28 PM

You cannot have MY point!  :D

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!