Things to do and places to visit on th East Coast

Started by Iormlund, August 09, 2017, 10:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

My SO wants to visit a friend of hers on the East Coast in early December.

What is there to do around those parts? I'm guessing a day or so for for DC (Mall, Smithsonian) and a few days at NYC. But what else? Is it even worth it to visit Philly or Boston? Any Natural park worth seeing? Or is it just too fucking cold by then?

Grey Fox

Please keep in mind the distances between these points of interest. Boston to DC is a 8 hours drive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

While I like Philadelphia not sure if there is much for an international tourist. Only reason I can really think of is stopover between DC and New York if you wanted, but not really needed.

Agreed with GF to the extent that Boston is distance beyond New York and while again, also nice (especially with Cambridge) not at all as dazzling as DC and New York.

I, personally, would spend very little time outdoors during that time of year. :blush: -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

frunk

You can do a couple days at any of the major cities, it depends on what you are interested in and how much time you have.  DC and NYC have more museums and stereotypical touristy things so can easily chew up a week or longer each.  If doing a week or less I'd focus on 1-2 cities at most, 1-2 weeks 3-4 cities.

For state/national parks it might be worth it at spots DC or further south, further north it'll probably be too cold.

The Larch

Philly is nice for a day on the way between NY and DC, but not more than that. You can add a visit to the Niagara Falls as well, but it's a bit out of the way. How are you going to travel between cities? How long are you planning to stay? If you're going to be there for only a week or less I'd only stay in NY.

I'd rule out outdoorsy stuff at that point of the year.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

You really want to get a sense of America, spend less time in museums and more on the highway.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Spend a few days in Washington DC.  While it's still there.

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2017, 12:12:06 PM

She's not coming util December.  The crater should have cooled by then, but radiation counts will still be way up.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Boston and Cape Cod are worth a visit, but not in December.

West Point and the Naval Academy are both pretty cool.  Mount Vernon is close to DC.

katmai

Fuck all you non liberty loving motherfuckers.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Iormlund

Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2017, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 09, 2017, 12:12:06 PM

She's not coming util December.  The crater should have cooled by then, but radiation counts will still be way up.

We'll be sure to stock up on Rad-X.

Zanza

If you go to Philly, you can drive through Amish country which is nearby and gawk at the locals with their horse carriages etc.