Things to do and places to visit on th East Coast

Started by Iormlund, August 09, 2017, 10:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

As the people said...December?  Potentially bad weather and short days mean it might be best to go big on the indoor stuff...which  NYC and DC have plenty of.

dps

Yeah, unless you're planning a ski trip or going to Florida, you don't really want to plan much of anything outdoorsy on the East Coast during December.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on August 09, 2017, 11:14:35 PM
East Coast?  Pffft, that sucks.

Better beaches, not that it matters in December.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maladict

I've been in December and it's totally fine to do outside stuff. Except for the limited amount of daylight it's more manageable than going in summer I'd say.
So Valley Forge, Gettysburg etc are very doable. I would say a week for the DC/Philly area and another for NYC.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

It is true...crowds for the CW battlefields will be light.  But keep in mind possible Snowmageddons and be flexible.

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on August 09, 2017, 11:42:39 PM
I've been in December and it's totally fine to do outside stuff. Except for the limited amount of daylight it's more manageable than going in summer I'd say.
So Valley Forge, Gettysburg etc are very doable. I would say a week for the DC/Philly area and another for NYC.

Yeah, can be supes awesome to hike about in snow..
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2017, 01:51:31 AM

Yeah, can be supes awesome to hike about in snow..

Valley Forge in snow could be a nice hike  :cool:
But obviously you adapt your schedule to the weather. I don't think I was even wearing a coat during my December visit.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2017, 01:50:54 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 09, 2017, 11:19:01 PM
Quote from: PDH on August 09, 2017, 11:14:35 PM
East Coast?  Pffft, that sucks.

Better beaches, not that it matters in December.

Haha. Spoken like a fool.

Spoken like someone who knows the direction of the major currents. East gets water from the Caribbean, West gets water from Alaska. East wins.

garbon

East also has southerners and a good stretch of the east coast has rocks, not beaches.

Eddie Teach

Gups

Quick related hijack.

We're planning a week in NYC (probably staying in Brooklyn) in October. Would like a day trip out of the city to see a bit of countryside. Is somewhere on Long Island the best bet, if so where?

Syt

I hope there will be a Gups-Minsky meeting, as it would easily be the most sophisticated Languish meet ever.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.