Things to do and places to visit on th East Coast

Started by Iormlund, August 09, 2017, 10:52:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on August 10, 2017, 05:05:48 AM
Quick related hijack.

We're planning a week in NYC (probably staying in Brooklyn) in October. Would like a day trip out of the city to see a bit of countryside. Is somewhere on Long Island the best bet, if so where?

The Finger Lake region upstate, roughly halfway to the Niagara Falls, might be another option. It's a wine producing region, if that's a plus.

frunk

Quote from: The Larch on August 10, 2017, 05:44:46 AM
Quick related hijack.

We're planning a week in NYC (probably staying in Brooklyn) in October. Would like a day trip out of the city to see a bit of countryside. Is somewhere on Long Island the best bet, if so where?

The Finger Lake region upstate, roughly halfway to the Niagara Falls, might be another option. It's a wine producing region, if that's a plus.

Agreed, that would be the better direction although you don't have to go all the way to the Finger Lake region.  The Poconos are closer and less of a traffic nightmare than Long Island that time of year.

Gups

Quote from: frunk on August 10, 2017, 07:06:59 AM
Quick related hijack.

Agreed, that would be the better direction although you don't have to go all the way to the Finger Lake region.  The Poconos are closer and less of a traffic nightmare than Long Island that time of year.

Thanks both, but not planning on hiring a car if we can avoid it.

The Larch

Quote from: Gups on August 10, 2017, 07:16:39 AM
Quote from: frunk on August 10, 2017, 07:06:59 AM
Quick related hijack.

Thanks both, but not planning on hiring a car if we can avoid it.

Driving on the right side of the road is not that difficult.  :P

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on August 10, 2017, 07:31:37 AM

Driving on the right side of the road is not that difficult.  :P

You're wrong. I do it all the time here and people are always getting in my way, shouting, blaring their horns. Can't imagine why it would be any better in the States

Berkut

I cannot think of any credible reason to visit Long Island. Ever.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

frunk

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2017, 07:41:43 AM

I used to go to a game group there.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2017, 07:41:43 AM

Its rather nice Montauk way. Also as a gay - fire island.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maladict

Go to Montauk, take the ferry to Block Island and then Newport. See the Breakers and Battleship Cove and head back. Should be mostly doable by public transport.

The Minsky Moment

Quick related hijack.

There's usually good foliage that time of year, but not really on Long Island. Better bet for that is north, in Westchester, Putnam, or Dutchess counties, or Fairfield Country in Connecticut.  Fingers Lakes is nice but a bit further to go.

As for Long Island, if you wanted to stay overnight, the Hamptons is off season and you can probably get a deal.  I've been out there in winter - you can't swim or sunbathe, but on the other hand it's not crowded with Wall Street types.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quick related hijack.

West Point has a gorgeous view of the Hudson, plus they have cool fortifications and awesome dioramas in their museum.  :)

dps

Quote from: Maladict on August 09, 2017, 11:42:39 PM
I've been in December and it's totally fine to do outside stuff. Except for the limited amount of daylight it's more manageable than going in summer I'd say.
So Valley Forge, Gettysburg etc are very doable. I would say a week for the DC/Philly area and another for NYC.

Oh, sure, there can be some very nice warm days during the winter.  I'm just saying, don't plan on it.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Iormlund on August 09, 2017, 10:52:30 AM
My SO wants to visit a friend of hers on the East Coast in early December.

What is there to do around those parts? I'm guessing a day or so for for DC (Mall, Smithsonian) and a few days at NYC. But what else? Is it even worth it to visit Philly or Boston? Any Natural park worth seeing? Or is it just too fucking cold by then?

There's a delightful little christmas market on F Street during the holiday season. Also the White House christmas tree and the congressional christmas trees go up. They're nice at night. The Mall at night, especially looking down on it from the Lincoln Memorial, is possibly my favorite sight in the whole city.

Lesser known museums that are really good are the Renwick right next to the White House and the Phillips Gallery in DuPont, but you have to pay to get into that one. The Portrait Gallery (also on F Street) is really great too, and there are a ton of places nearby to sit down and eat (or drink) after you have walked around a museum for two hours.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

CountDeMoney

Ford's Theatre is still an operating theater.  Lincoln's box is adorned accordingly.  Excellent Lincoln museum and gift shop in the basement floor.

You can see why Booth broke his leg.  Damned near a two-story drop.  Confederatard dumbass.

You're really selling yourself short if you spend anything less than 3 days in Washington, DC.  The amount of stuff to there is outright silly.

Admiral Yi

Are soft shell crabs in season in December?  That would be another reason to stop off in Maryland.