Beatles or Stones

Started by Warspite, July 11, 2009, 06:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Beatles or the Rolling Stones

Beatles
Stones

grumbler

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 12, 2009, 08:39:05 PM
Edited to display real musical talent. Dylan writes okay, but for some reason, he thinks that he can sing, and that sets him back more than a few points. :contract:
Dylan has written some great songs, but when his voice was at its peak one could only charitably call it "awful."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2009, 12:15:39 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 12, 2009, 06:44:34 AM
That was a terrible movie, why are you reminding us?
:yes:

It was a very bad movie.

They filmed a bit of that film down the block from my house.

My room mate took a beer down and wandered amongst the teamsters and was actually reprimanded for drinking on the job by some stooge
:p

BVN

More a fan of the Stones, but the Beatles also had some great songs...

I just wish Jagger & co knew when it's time to quit the business.

Tamas

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on July 12, 2009, 11:02:04 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 12, 2009, 08:39:05 PM
Edited to display real musical talent. Dylan writes okay, but for some reason, he thinks that he can sing, and that sets him back more than a few points. :contract:
Dylan has written some great songs, but when his voice was at its peak one could only charitably call it "awful."

Meh, his voice may not have fit the classic definition of being "good", I think most of his songs would not be anywhere near as poignant with a "good"/smooth voice.

saskganesh

listen to Nashville Skyline for Dylan's "I quit smoking" voice; it's fuller, rounder and should be actually considered singing.
humans were created in their own image

Threviel

To compare the Stones to Beatles is like comparing Cimarosa to Mozart. Sure, Cimarosa was famous in his day and all, but it's Mozart we remember today.

Warspite

Quote from: Threviel on July 13, 2009, 09:28:00 AM
To compare the Stones to Beatles is like comparing Cimarosa to Mozart. Sure, Cimarosa was famous in his day and all, but it's Mozart we remember today.

The Stones have hardly sunk into obscurity in popular culture.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

saskganesh

when I saw the Stones, their take on Sympathy for the Devil was among the best I had ever heard. If they had stopped touring, it would have been a loss. I don't understand why musicians are apparently required to stop playing music.

Paul McCartney played Halifax last weekend to 50K people. Largely oldies including "Give Peace a Chance." Go hate on him.  ;)
humans were created in their own image

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Savonarola

The Beatles; I do love a lot of the Stone's music but they had some serious misfires along the way.  For instance:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on July 13, 2009, 01:24:10 PM
The Beatles; I do love a lot of the Stone's music but they had some serious misfires along the way.  For instance:

Jagger is a level 10 dork.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 13, 2009, 03:39:09 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on July 13, 2009, 01:24:10 PM

Jagger is a level 10 dork.

with a +3 magic Wizard's hat, to boot.
:p

citizen k

Quote from: Warspite on July 13, 2009, 09:50:02 AM
Quote from: Threviel on July 13, 2009, 09:28:00 AM

The Stones have hardly sunk into obscurity in popular culture.
Give them time. They will be the Cimarosa to Beatle's Mozart.