Trains, Banks and Public/Private Ownership - Prev.Predict UK Gen.Election Result

Started by mongers, June 04, 2017, 05:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will be the size of Theresa May's majority in the Commons

150+ MPs
0 (0%)
101-149
0 (0%)
81-100
2 (5.9%)
51-80
4 (11.8%)
31-50
6 (17.6%)
16-30
5 (14.7%)
1-15
2 (5.9%)
Zero - (Even number of MPs)
1 (2.9%)
Minority conservative government
9 (26.5%)
Labour and other parties coalition
2 (5.9%)
Labour majority government
3 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 16, 2017, 05:31:16 AM
It is early days but it looks like it is the building regulations that are at fault; ie insufficiently stringent. Apparently the cladding used is illegal in the USA for example. Sprinkler systems have been required for new blocks for a few years but there is no requirement to retrofit them in older buildings. I did feel for a fire safety expert who was on BBC news last night; he has known about these problems for years and has been banging on about them but receiving the cold shoulder from officials and politicians.

Illegal in Germany too. Frankfurt's fire chief ripped British regulations to shreds in an interview.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2017, 06:19:20 AM
A big concern I have about this is that it may do for high density housing what fukushima did for nuclear power. Right when things were looking to turn around and people were recognising it as the sensible way forward.
Won't help Londons housing problems....

True :( Hopefully backlash will be limited to huge towers like this one. There was a nauseating article at the Guardian from some guy who now wanted the people to rise against the bourgeois buiilding big tower blocks to be bought and left empty by foreign investors. Allegedly there is an epidemic of luxury high towers to come and they'll all be empty properties owned by the rich.
And how awesome it is to live on the ground level.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 16, 2017, 06:59:21 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2017, 06:19:20 AM
A big concern I have about this is that it may do for high density housing what fukushima did for nuclear power. Right when things were looking to turn around and people were recognising it as the sensible way forward.
Won't help Londons housing problems....

True :( Hopefully backlash will be limited to huge towers like this one. There was a nauseating article at the Guardian from some guy who now wanted the people to rise against the bourgeois buiilding big tower blocks to be bought and left empty by foreign investors. Allegedly there is an epidemic of luxury high towers to come and they'll all be empty properties owned by the rich.
And how awesome it is to live on the ground level.

I read that article and only took issue with the fact that he buried deep the bit about how he was once living in one of the luxury towers.

Anyway, I say good riddance. Nothing breaks up community cohesion easier than monstrous towers. Particularly towers that don't even contain all that many units.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

as slightly related, everyone is yelling at foreigners buying properties and leaving them empty driving up property prices.

I have already found that a bit of a lame "blame the foreigner" thing, seeing how I have been renting exclusively from different members of the English middle class, but due to this event I have learned that Kensington, as the borough with the most empty homes have 1.6% of them empty. SCANDALOUS!!!!

Gups

I read it too. Although Simon Jenkins is wrong about most things, he's right about this. We would be much better off getting density through 6-9 story blocks like most European cities.

And he's right that there are a huge number of massive luxury tower blocks currently and also that if recent experience is anything to go buy around 50% of them will remain empty (but that may not be true  in future since stamp duty increases  have significantly reduced the attractiveness of high end residential to foreign purchasers).

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on June 16, 2017, 07:25:37 AM
I read it too. Although Simon Jenkins is wrong about most things, he's right about this. We would be much better off getting density through 6-9 story blocks like most European cities.

And he's right that there are a huge number of massive luxury tower blocks currently and also that if recent experience is anything to go buy around 50% of them will remain empty (but that may not be true  in future since stamp duty increases  have significantly reduced the attractiveness of high end residential to foreign purchasers).

As I just wrote, even in the area most heavily stricken by this phenomenom, it is less than 2% of homes. having 2% more high-end homes available for sale would barely put a dent into property prices. Blaming that instead of silly restrictions on building, is dishonest.

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on June 16, 2017, 07:24:33 AM
as slightly related, everyone is yelling at foreigners buying properties and leaving them empty driving up property prices.

I have already found that a bit of a lame "blame the foreigner" thing, seeing how I have been renting exclusively from different members of the English middle class, but due to this event I have learned that Kensington, as the borough with the most empty homes have 1.6% of them empty. SCANDALOUS!!!!

If you are living in a property it's not empty is it?

garbon

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on June 16, 2017, 07:28:42 AM

As I just wrote, even in the area most heavily stricken by this phenomenom, it is less than 2% of homes. having 2% more high-end homes available for sale would barely put a dent into property prices. Blaming that instead of silly restrictions on building, is dishonest.

OK. I'm only allowed to blame London's hosing crisis on one issue.  A problem can only have a single cause. Gotcha.

1.400 empty properties in K&C. They could house 3,000+ people. That's not insignificant even if it would not solve the housing crisis at a stroke

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on June 16, 2017, 07:29:24 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 16, 2017, 07:24:33 AM

If you are living in a property it's not empty is it?

Point being, less than 2% of property left empty (and lets not forget this is not all newly built stuff, some are old shit left uninhabitable) does fuckall to property prices. On common people levels, anyways.

Valmy

I am sure developers are lining up to buy crazy overpriced London real-estate just to tear it down and build expensive 6-9 story blocks for affordable housing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2017, 07:35:10 AM
I am sure developers are lining up to buy crazy overpriced London real-estate just to tear it down and build expensive 6-9 story blocks for affordable housing.

In housing the trickle down effect works.
Stop the mega wealthy keeping expensive houses empty and the wealthy don't have to buy middle class housing then the middle class don't have to buy working class housing...
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 16, 2017, 07:56:40 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 16, 2017, 07:35:10 AM

In housing the trickle down effect works.
Stop the mega wealthy keeping expensive houses empty and the wealthy don't have to buy middle class housing then the middle class don't have to buy working class housing...

2%

The silly "green" belts appear to be a bigger problem. You can't have buildings that block the view and you can't build on a shitload of unused land because it is full of overgrowth that people pretend is a "green" zone. No wonder there is a housing shortage.

And the government pretends to solve this with a help to buy scheme that makes people be able to pay more, thus increasing demand. But the problem is supply, not demand.

Josquius

The true problem with the housing crisis is the over concentration of the economy in London.
Theres just too many jobs in too small a space. The green belts and transport infrastructure are supplementary to this core issue.
There needs to be more effort to spread jobs elsewhere in the country so then people from elsewhere won't all be forced to pile into London.
(which better public transport would do a lot of towards Helping)
██████
██████
██████