Are you your father's son (or daughter?)

Started by Faeelin, July 10, 2009, 08:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

One thing I've noticed, as I've become older, is how much like my father I am. Humor, looks (which, given how he now looks, makes me quasi-suicidal), interests, and increasingly personality. It has come very much to my attention recently that while both he and I don't generally speaking hold grudges, when we do get angry at someone we would like to sip the marrow from their bones in the ashes of all they hold dear.

So I'm curious. How much are you like your father? And how does it make you feel?

The Larch

I'm A LOT like my father, both in looks (although I'm much taller than him), personality and tastes, and people who know him usually recognize me immediately, which is a bit of a nuisance since we work in the same field and getting a "So you're XXX's kid, right?" before a meeting is not exactly enjoyable. For some traits, it's an honour to be like him, for others it's cringe-worthy, as at least for one thing it's something we always call him on in the family.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I only wish I was.  My father has an incredible work ethic and gets things done with stunning speed and efficiency.

I, on the other hand, post on languish all day.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

I am not particularly like my father; but then, he had a very unusual upbringing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Yes. Yes I am.

With a couple exception like He avoids confrontation, I jump into it like a Shark on a bleeding seal.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

saskganesh

facially, there is some resemblence; in build and health, I am not like him.

but I like beer, cheese, afternoon naps, books and sometimes workaholism. That's some of his influence.
humans were created in their own image

Monoriu

Yeah, very much so.  Both civil servants.  Both are cheapskates.  Both are pretty extreme introverts.  Both hate asking for help. 

PDH

My father: genius, flawed, but genius.

I am: not
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

hsilbud

A few months ago, my dad showed me a personality evaluation he'd taken for his job some 30 or 40 years ago.  I might as well have been reading about myself.

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on July 10, 2009, 09:56:56 AM
My father: genius, flawed, but genius.

I am: not

It is good that you are not flawed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

lustindarkness

I am a clone of my father. Edit: And my father was a clone of his father so I am a clone of my grandfathers clone.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

I look like him but have a completely different personality.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

saskganesh

Quote from: lustindarkness on July 10, 2009, 10:10:40 AM
I am a clone of my father. Edit: And my father was a clone of his father so I am a clone of my grandfathers clone.

we should start calling you "dolly."
humans were created in their own image

Korea

That's a giant fuck no.

We both have the big jew noses but completely different personalities and opinions. He's super closed minded, doesn't like black people, hates gay dudes and ladies,  redneck, and a weakling controlled by his woman.

I am the opposite.
I want my mother fucking points!