News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

LOL, talk about a writers cop-out.

"Ahhh, fuck, we've screwed up the plot so fucking much we cannot even figure out how to wrap this abortion up. Screw it, we will just pretend we never really cared about that, and write about Baltars old dad and the Presidents dead pregnant sister that have nothing at all to do with the show in any way, shape, or form! That will work!"

Please, that is utter bullshit.

It's not about the plot my ass. Of course it is about the plot. And the characters. They are not separable.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Korea

So, what is Starbuck? I am so confused by this show but I guess thats because all I've seen are a bunch of random episodes out of order.

Is Starbuck a cylon or a human?
I want my mother fucking points!

FunkMonk

I hadn't watched the show in years but was able to catch this season's Galactica mutiny subplot. I was really impressed and hoped that this would be a good show to latch onto. Then I watched the episode where Ellen Tigh switches into exposition mode and I was immediately turned off. Haven't seen an episode since.  :(

I'll just wait the rest of this series out and see if it's worth buying after the whole thing's done.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Berkut

Quote from: Grallon on March 14, 2009, 10:40:04 AM

Here's an exerpt of an interview conducted by Mo Ryan (Chicago Tribune) with Ron Moore before the start of this season.

QuoteMR: And speaking of the series finale, you're happy with how that came out?

RDM: Very pleased with it. It came together all at once and it was a strange experience. In the writers' room, we spent the first day [of breaking that episode] in a lot of difficulty, a lot of frustration. We sort of knew what the plot was, we knew the action story, we knew the plot of the finale. We spent that whole first day just struggling with the mechanics of the plot, how you got from A to B. We were spinning our wheels. I went home and I was in the shower and I had this "Duh" moment – the show was never about that. That's not why I love the show. It's not about the plot.

I went into the writers' room the next day and wrote on the big dry-erase board, "It's the characters, stupid," and the writers laughed and we all sat back and said, "Who gives a [expletive] about the plot? Let's just talk about these characters."

G.

The more I think about this, the more I suspect this might be the worst writing cop-out of all time.

He is "very pleased with" how the series finale came out, largely because he realized its "not about the plot", and "who gives a shit about the plot".

Yeah.....that really cannot be good. How someone can read that and think "Hell, yeah, this is awesome!" is beyond me.

The only way the finale isn't an utter disaster is if that little bit of horseshit is some kind of clever mis-direction attempt, and the finale will actually reflect that they give a shit about the plot and actually decided to finish the story, rather than spend 2 hours of exposition on the depth and profoundness of Baltar's Daddy issues.

The best part?

Grallon spooging about it, and using as his clever example of their incredible character development the truly edgy bit with Gaius father being named Julius. Oh my, that is such incredible character development! THAT is what makes this show great!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

vinraith

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2009, 10:55:53 AM
It's not about the plot my ass. Of course it is about the plot. And the characters. They are not separable.

Yup. And it's not as though they haven't fucked up the characters pretty badly too, anyway.

Still, I'm hoping they pull off something that's at least somewhat satisfying with the finale. Less likely things have happened.

Grallon

Quote from: Berkut on March 14, 2009, 12:27:58 PM

The best part?

Grallon spooging about it, and using as his clever example of their incredible character development the truly edgy bit with Gaius father being named Julius. Oh my, that is such incredible character development! THAT is what makes this show great!

Ahh Berkut, one can always rely upon you to be ham fisted about anything you choose to 'debate' - which is really always more of a monologue than anything else. 

I did enjoy the tone of this episode and that clever bit you mention.  However I will let the text of the following blog express my impressions of the episode in the context of this season:

http://memles.wordpress.com/2009/03/14/battlestar-galactica-daybreak-part-one/

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Josquius

The whole 'this side of the line with us that side not' thing was damn dumb.
If they're going on a last suicide mission why do they need all these non-essential personel and civilians- what use would Baltar and gang even have been?
At least it didn't do the cliche of everyone instantly going onto the "We're with you" side.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: vinraith on March 14, 2009, 12:33:07 PM
Yup. And it's not as though they haven't fucked up the characters pretty badly too, anyway.

Indeed they can't quite take solace in good character development or plot...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

I am in the uncomfortable position of agreeing with Berkut.  For he is right.  And Gralls, my old Motrealiean friend, is wrong.  On this.  Now. 
PDH!

I Killed Kenny

I love this series...

Even with all the plot holes, I simply love it

Ideologue

Quote from: Disturbed Pervert on March 10, 2009, 07:32:37 AM
BSG ended after New Caprica. 

I'm going through the DVDs, and boy howdy, the New Caprica arc did suck.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

DisturbedPervert

Just finished downloading and watching.  This episode just made me sad.  2nd to last episode and this is all we get?

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Neil on March 14, 2009, 11:59:40 AM
Quote from: Korea on March 14, 2009, 11:01:28 AM
So, what is Starbuck?
A man.

It'd be really funny if the end had Dirk Benedict waking up and going, "wow what a weird dream".
:p

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Ideologue on March 14, 2009, 08:56:02 PM
I'm going through the DVDs, and boy howdy, the New Caprica arc did suck.

If you didn't think the rescue from New Caprica was awesome you might want to get tested for BRAIN CANCER.