Main Menu

MechWarrior (5) announced

Started by FunkMonk, July 09, 2009, 07:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 10, 2009, 05:44:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2009, 05:38:40 PM
I had to look some of that stuff up.

Apparently my BattleTech knowledge stopped in the midst of the Inner Sphere war on Clan Smoke Jaguar.  Everything after that is new to me.
I actually had a long term game going, with the same group of characters (minus KIAs), going for fifteen years of realtime, from the Succession Wars to the Jihad.

Cool.  Tabletop, or MechWarrior RPG?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2009, 05:38:40 PM
I had to look some of that stuff up.

Apparently my BattleTech knowledge stopped in the midst of the Inner Sphere war on Clan Smoke Jaguar.  Everything after that is new to me.

I looked up some of the recent pdfs recently, and the game seems to suffer from Star Fleet Battles-itis now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2009, 05:55:04 PM
Cool.  Tabletop, or MechWarrior RPG?
Both.  We'd mix and match depending on the mood.  Sometimes, we'd have adventures and intrigues, which we'd run in Mechwarrior, but we'd use tabletop for big battles, with some RPG mods (like using Edge to avoid getting headchopped by some Clanner with an ER PPC, that sort of thing).
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 10, 2009, 06:23:42 PM
I looked up some of the recent pdfs recently, and the game seems to suffer from Star Fleet Battles-itis now.
It suffers from every book outdoing the one before it, and some wacky design choices for some of the older stuff.  Thus, the House Kurita (one of the first) field manual introduced medium range dumbfire missiles and swords for 'Mechs.  The House Davion (one of the last) field manual introduces rotary autocannons, man-portable gauss rifles and super battlearmour.  The warships that they designed using old rules in the House Marik field manual are armoured in tinfoil, whereas the warships they designed using the new rules in the House Liao, Davion and Steiner field manuals are all wrecking machines.

I suppose that's what happens when you release the field manuals over a period of five or six years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

I was always leaned more towards Kurita in my early BT days, then leaned more towards Marik for the Clan era to escape the Davion/Kurita love-fest.  And was always partial to the Taurian Concordate hoping to humiliate the Davions.

And then go hook up with some Magistracy of Canopus babes. 

Neil

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 10, 2009, 09:15:56 PM
I was always leaned more towards Kurita in my early BT days, then leaned more towards Marik for the Clan era to escape the Davion/Kurita love-fest.  And was always partial to the Taurian Concordate hoping to humiliate the Davions.

And then go hook up with some Magistracy of Canopus babes.

I have to agree that the Davion/Kurita love-fest was annoying, and that I did have a soft spot for the periphery powers (although the Taurian Concordate seemed too Mary Sue-ish).  But thinking about it the very first time I played BattleTech (and actually I think it was the mediocre Succession Wars game) I played as Steiner, and they have always been my first choice.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DisturbedPervert

Had a lot of fun playing MechWarrior 2 on Kali back in the day.  Hopefully this won't be too consolized.

Syt

I'd prefer a new take on MechCommander instead of a console-bound action shooter. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

When oh when will MechWarrior 4 be released for free?

Sigh.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

I discovered I own Mech Warrior 3.  I may install it and play it a bit.  It's been a while.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Quote from: Scipio on July 11, 2009, 04:39:52 PM

Sigh.

Why are you such a tight ass?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Jaron on July 11, 2009, 07:07:53 PM
Quote from: Scipio on July 11, 2009, 04:39:52 PM

Sigh.

Why are you such a tight ass?

I assume he works out.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Syt on July 11, 2009, 10:23:46 AM
I'd prefer a new take on MechCommander instead of a console-bound action shooter. :(
Consoles have devastated gaming.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2009, 01:52:59 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 11, 2009, 10:23:46 AM
Consoles have devastated gaming.

True.  Nothing is more frustrating then having a good series of PC games ruined by dumbing it down for the console.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017